Author Topic: Rabbit Recipe?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Rabbit Recipe?
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »
Anyone got a good one?

A google search actually turns up more hunting information than I really needed to know, since all the hunting I had to do to get this one was to dig around in the freezer at BHFM. Still, I have to figure out what to do with it now.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Rabbit Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:59:50 PM »
I like it either roasted or braised in a "chicken cacciatore" style (mirepoix, mushrooms, some tomato).
I love rabbit.

Online Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
I like it either roasted or braised in a "chicken cacciatore" style (mirepoix, mushrooms, some tomato).
I love rabbit. 

I have picked buckshot out of so many rabbit parts I can't tell you..   My grandparents were Austrian/German and cooked rabbit whenever they were available.  My brother and I supplied fresh rabbit to my grandmother who then fixed them many, many ways, almost never with tomato.. 

I really like rabbit, with our without buckshot.  I would guess that my grandparents cooked them in some braised-kind-of-way to be served with wide noodles or with home made chunks of bread to sop up the gravy.  I just sat there and ate...  LOL

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »
Well, I ended up using multiple techniques. I braised much of the rabbit that was connected to some sort of bone after breaking it down, with the legs and forelegs being the meatiest pieces. I used mirepoix, a little seasoning, white wine and water and I ended up with some very tender meat and delicious gravy. Must be farm raised rabbit because it really didn't take much to get tender meat.

I also removed the saddle from the bone while butchering the rabbit, and the 2 saddle pieces were very quickly pan fried with a flour dredge. I also found some other tender bits of meat that I cut into strips and fried the same way. The sheath of muscle that covers the ribs and stomach was very good for this. Scientist called the strips "rabbit fingers." They would have been good with honey mustard, if I'd thought of it.

I made some spaetzle, poured gravy over it and plated with a couple of the meatier braised pieces, plus the pan fried saddle. It was really a nice looking plate and I took a picture, but my computer has decided that it doesn't recognize the camera again so you'll just have to take my word for it. It was really delicious and I think I'll be making it again.
Food is my favorite.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/dining/03rabbit.html?ref=dining

Here's an informative article (as always) from the NYT.  It includes a couple recipes and even some encouragement to raise some in your own backyard if you feel the urge.  It's actually a pretty good idea considering the noise and mess that chickens can create.  You could easily raise your own backyard rabbit without your next door neighbor even knowing about it.  I highly doubt that could be done with chickens.  Though in my case, even if I could get the idea past my wife, our friendly backyard fox might turn into a cold-blooded rabbit killer.

Anyway, has anyone ever served rabbit for Easter?  I've always threatened but my tongue-in-cheek ideas have always been shot down in favor of more traditional meats.

I've purchased rabbit at Buford Highway before but I've found the taste to be a little metallic.  This isn't universal because I've purchased rabbit at DeKalb and Harry's and I've had it at restaurants without the same taste...  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  Is there any way to get rid of that taste?  Soak in milk/buttermilk?  It's kept me from enjoying rabbit as often as I would like because I'm afraid that the taste will be there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:04:11 AM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Marmite Loving Euniculus

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
 :'(

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »
:'(

Don't worry euniculus, that's how my wife felt about the idea too...  ;)