Author Topic: Weber Smoky Mountain 22 1/2"  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Weber Smoky Mountain 22 1/2"
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:39:57 PM »
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:53:34 PM by GadgetGeek »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Barnum

Re: Weber Smoky Mountain 22 1/2"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 01:01:36 AM »
gg, now that I know the BGE, what are the major functional differences between the BGE and the WSM?  My guess is the weber won't necessarily get to the same hi-end heat level as the BGE... not that the high temp is important to the smoking function, but certainly nice to have for other things, like searing a steak or (theoretically) cooking a pizza.  Any difference in the ease of maintaining temperature without the thermal mass that the BGE has?  A little curious if you might be able to do a lower temperature smoke on the weber?  maybe even get low enough to cold smoke salmon?  I know that without the add-on hi-tech temp control for the BGE, 190 is realistically my lowest stable temp... any different on the weber?  any differences when doing a long smoke such as for pulled pork?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:16:27 AM »
I have a WSM, but i've never used a BGE. It isn't possible to reach the super high temps of a BGE on a WSM. Low end, maintaining about 200 deg. is pretty easy on the WSM. To go even lower you can have an external smoke box connected with dryer duct to vent the smoke into the WSM. I've done it, it works quite well.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »
You can cook most of the same things on both, although the BGE, because it's ceramic, is more of a 'perfect' brick oven.  The ceramic holds heat well, and even if opened and shut, the lid will continue to radiate heat very well.  This would make it better at cooking pizzas in the 800+ degree range.  It's probably also a better bread oven.

Without a doubt in cold weather, if you remove the wsm lid, it will quickly lose a lot of heat.

I've done the recommended pizza setup in my 18.5 WSM, and it works very well.  Not sure what my dome temp was, but it likely tops out in the 600 degree range, maybe 700.  Not real sure.  It entails raising the coals to what is normally the bottom meat rack, thus the dome temp is much higher than what one can normally achieve.  It's easy to sear meat on a wsm by removing the middle section, and searing it right over the coals (on a rack).  This is easier to do with the 18.5 (lighter in weight).

The wsm is more susceptible to outside weather, so in cold weather it'll use a bit more charcoal/lump, but you can also change the internal temperature more quickly.

Weber re-introduced their 26.75 inch kettle, which is what I've had my eyes on. 

The 22.5 wsm is far more capacity than most people need.  The 18.5 holds quite a bit, especially with a BGE extension rack on top.