Author Topic: Ruth's Chris Steak House  (Read 1981 times)

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
Ruth's Chris Steak House
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
Ruth's Chris recently opened a new location off Chastain Rd. in the new Embassy Suites Hotel behind Taco Mac.  I went there for dinner this past week with some people from work and a couple of business clients from California.  We were going to go to Fogo de Chao in town, but since they were staying at the Embassy, we just went there instead for convenience sake. 

I have to admit I had never been to a Ruth's Chris.  Here's what I discovered; the only reason to go there is to meet business clients and eat big pieces of cow on an expense account.  Everything we had was fine, from the shrimp and calamari appetizers, to the inevitable steaks served on sizzling platters with butter popping off of them, to the homey side dishes served ala carte.  Our server was an old pro and he did everything right to please us.

Yet it was just a middling dining experience. The space is brand spanking new and perfectly nice, but bland and forgettable.  The wine list really should be better.  The worst part was that they charged like it was a first-class steak house, about $60 per person.  For that kind of money I want something really memorable, but what I'll remember most about this is how expensive it was, and that's never good.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline MoT

Re: Ruth's Chris Steak House
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »
I know a couple of folks who prefer RC's to other steakhouses. I am not sure if I have ever been to one.  :-\

I just passed along my Gift Card to kiddo whose friend just started to work at the new one in Kennesaw.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
I like RC's. Is it the best steakhouse? Nah, probably not. But it is good no matter where you go in the US. Their BBQ shrimp are rather tasty.

I'm not exactly sure how that Embassy suites and RC plans to stay open. I don't see them surviving very long...

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »
I scored a $50 RC gift card and plan to take the wife to the Sandy Springs location (former Lark & Dove) this evening.  I will give RC credit for being consistent. 

One of my absolute favorite steak joints in town is the Highland Tap.  A good steak, great atmosphere and the best Martini in town.

-B

geonuc

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »
I'm not exactly sure how that Embassy suites and RC plans to stay open. I don't see them surviving very long...

I don't know. We get a lot of people travelling to our office on business. They'd probably be happy to stay there and eat at RC's. I imagine there are many similar companies nearby.

Loundry

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
Yet it was just a middling dining experience. The space is brand spanking new and perfectly nice, but bland and forgettable.  The wine list really should be better.  The worst part was that they charged like it was a first-class steak house, about $60 per person.  For that kind of money I want something really memorable, but what I'll remember most about this is how expensive it was, and that's never good.

Steve recently mentioned that he wanted to go to Ruth's Chris and my response was along the lines of, "Why?"  And I asked that because my opinion of Ruth's Chris -- having never been -- is exactly as you described it.  I figured that it was all hype ginned up by people whose idea of "fine dining" is limited only to finding "the very best steak" (and then not working very hard to find it).

We talked about steak restaurants -- Bones and Chops were invoked -- but that kind of eating is not really my kind of thing.  I think it's because it's too simple, as in, not enough breadth of flavor in a single meal.  The steak itself may be deeply flavorful, but if I'm paying $60 per person then I want breadth and depth of flavor.

I guess the thread to start is, "Who has the best steak?"  I'm interested in two scales: performance alone, and price/performance ratio.