Author Topic: Rice  (Read 3587 times)

geonuc

Rice
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:34:27 AM »
My freezer usually holds several varieties of rice - medium grain white, brown, broken, jasmine, wild. But my favorite lately is par-boiled rice. Has a bit more flavor than white but not as 'healthy' tasting as brown.

Loundry

Re: Rice
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:49:22 PM »
I usually have basmati or jasmine rice on hand.  The flavor differences are too subtle to be of any real difference in pilaf, mexican-style rice, or fried rice.  I despise the fat, wet white rice that screams "I am institutionalized food!" when you eat it.

Why do you keep rice in the freezer?

Online Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »
I usually have basmati or jasmine rice on hand.  The flavor differences are too subtle to be of any real difference in pilaf, mexican-style rice, or fried rice.  I despise the fat, wet white rice that screams "I am institutionalized food!" when you eat it.

Some rice, with the bran on it will go bad (rancid) if left in the pantry too long.  If You are using most rices the only reason to keep in the freezer IMHO is to keep it cold?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MoT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »
Spouse used to have a client that sent us wild rice every holiday. Since we traveled home for holidays, we'd keep it in the freezer per directions until cooking. I miss that stuff!

geonuc

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »
pantry moths

Loundry

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
pantry moths

*nods*

I feel your pain.

geonuc

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:48 PM »
pantry moths

*nods*

I feel your pain.
Not at all. Haven't seen a moth in years now. My freezer is a tad crowded, however.