Author Topic: A great meal in the planning/serving/cooking stages  (Read 31157 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
A great meal in the planning/serving/cooking stages
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »

A wonderful porterhouse from the "Triangle Butcher Shop" in Loganville, nice/thick/freshly cut, never frozen, and into a vac bag and into the tub at 128º  for an hour or so.   I was going to grill/sear it but I think I'll finish it in a HOT, HOT, HOT cast iron pan (of which I have many). 

Baked potato, first Sous Vide for an hour at 128º and now finishing in the Breville toaster oven at 475º to crisp the skin.

A salad.   ( don't look Jason M. ), we will have MANY things in this salad including daikon, ginger, tumeric (sliced 1mm thick), red onion, and salted (for an hour) cucumber from Finch Creek Farm.. 

I have not broken out the camera for this one, but will insert the chip and shoot a few process pictures soon. 

Doing the steak at 128º  and then drying it off and searing it is just so good.   The steak is cooked just right and all I have to worry about is the searing technique. 

No need to "rest" a sous vide steak.  Finish it in a cast iron pan with butter, shallots, garlic and rosemary and/or thyme, ( I also include rosemary ).    Flip the steak a few time until the right char/finish is achieved and serve it hot.  Pan juices are always welcome. 

I have some amazing beerz, left over from the 1st anniversary at Lincoln Fill Station here in Snellville.   Some beerz you NEVER see offered on draught.   I have a nice growler of a wonderful fresh Sculpin (with lemongrass) that was available for a few days out here. 

22 minutes until touchdown. 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:13:16 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: A great meal in the planning/serving/cooking stages
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
After much discussion, and weighing the pro's and cons of the two of us cooking a marvelous porterhouse steak for dinner and this last one was way, way good we both came the conclusion that we honestly like steaks that are grilled from room temperature rather than Sous Vide for an hour or so and then cast-iron pan seared.

The Sous Vide changes the texture of the steak to such an extent that while making it perfectly tender it is a bit on the mushy side.  I Sous Vide this last one at 128ºF,  dried it off, coated it with our choice of steak rub, and seared it in an old VERY thick cast iron large skillet that had been taken to the serious hot stage. 

We will continue to do those tough cuts of meat in Sous Vide, but we will again apply our old techniques to steak.

Sous Vide:

Rubbed:

Seared:

Cut:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 08:22:33 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.