Author Topic: What are you cooking sous vide?  (Read 6202 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
What are you cooking sous vide?
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
I thought I'd start a general thread where we can share our experiments. I totally get separate ongoing threads on certain topics; I'm not trying to replace those!

So, I'm making two chicken breasts right now. 140 degrees F for 90 minutes. All I did was lightly salt and pepper and add a slice of lemon on each one. After they are done, I will cool them in a ice bath and refrigerate. Then off to run errands. When it is time for dinner, I'll saute them in butter, deglaze the pan and make a madeira pan sauce. Not sure if I will add mustard or not. The recipe idea is from the Anova site but it is posted by a customer.

Will report back.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: What are you cooking sous vide?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
I thought I'd start a general thread where we can share our experiments. I totally get separate ongoing threads on certain topics; I'm not trying to replace those!

So, I'm making two chicken breasts right now. 140 degrees F for 90 minutes. All I did was lightly salt and pepper and add a slice of lemon on each one. After they are done, I will cool them in a ice bath and refrigerate. Then off to run errands. When it is time for dinner, I'll saute them in butter, deglaze the pan and make a madeira pan sauce. Not sure if I will add mustard or not. The recipe idea is from the Anova site but it is posted by a customer.

Will report back.

I have made that same recipe with slight variations twice..   I used a sortof hard-to-get Baja liquor the first time (Damiana) rather than the Madeira in a sauce, and a Creme Fraiche/Meyer lemon sauce the second time.  It works perfectly.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
Yes, it was very good. Super juicy and moist meat without it being an odd texture. Having fun with this. How do you keep the meat warm while you make the sauce? We put it in a very low oven - approx. 120, uncovered, but I think it still suffered from a tiny bit of drying out at the very tips.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
Yes, it was very good. Super juicy and moist meat without it being an odd texture. Having fun with this. How do you keep the meat warm while you make the sauce? We put it in a very low oven - approx. 120, uncovered, but I think it still suffered from a tiny bit of drying out at the very tips.

I didn't take mine, either time, through the cooling and re-heating phase...  I just left it as long as I could in the water bath, dried it, browned it, sliced it and served it.

I'm told you can HOLD it for up to 90 minutes in the water at 60º.. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:54:26 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »
So, I SV'd some delicious, fatty salmon from Buford Highway Farmer's Market last night. Looked at a couple of recipes online and came up with 122 F for 20 minutes. It was DISGUSTING! Definitely not raw (I love raw salmon) but more like thick salmon pudding. The flavor was great but the texture was really off-putting. Anyone have any thoughts?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »
So, I SV'd some delicious, fatty salmon from Buford Highway Farmer's Market last night. Looked at a couple of recipes online and came up with 122 F for 20 minutes. It was DISGUSTING! Definitely not raw (I love raw salmon) but more like thick salmon pudding. The flavor was great but the texture was really off-putting. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm going to wait a while to try fish..  at least salmon.    I would do shrimp or a big chunk of Cod, but Salmon is a difficult thing to get just the way I like it.    Thanks for taking one for the team..   

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:38:27 AM »
The funny thing is that we have pretty much perfected getting that salmon from BHFM just right seared on the stovetop in a frying pan finished in the oven. Live and learn!

I'm investigating pork chop recipes for tomorrow night.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
The funny thing is that we have pretty much perfected getting that salmon from BHFM just right seared on the stovetop in a frying pan finished in the oven. Live and learn!

I'm investigating pork chop recipes for tomorrow night.

Both Deanne and I have concluded that some things are not improved with Sous Vide.. Other things are simply unattainable without it.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »
Yep, we agree. But I still think that I'll play around with the salmon sv.

Two BHFM pork chops are halfway through their 60 minute bath at 145 degrees. Fingers crossed!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
Almost inedible tough pork. I've asked for help at a sous vide site. I feel like I'm following the directions??   ???

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »

Amazing chicken breast to be used in a salad, sliced.   The best, a rosemary sprig, a slice or two of ginger, Salt and Pepper and 1 1/2 hours.    Wonderful. 

140F/60º C

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »
Planning on doing chicken breasts tonight. I think I'll do 145 for an hour and see how they turn out. Like your seasoning idea, Mike, but will probably skip the ginger and make a madeira cream sauce sort-of thing.

First time using the replacement model. Sure hope this one does not give us trouble!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 12:54:12 PM »
They were good. Not sure I get the SV thing. I feel a little like the emperor has no clothes...

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »

I have a giagantic rib eye to do on Wednesday (should have been Tuesday).  It is pre-seared and in the bag about 4 hours will do it and then a second sear to char the edges the way we like   this is a bone-in rib eye weighing just under 3 pound. 

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »
Let us know how it comes out. I think that beef has been my favorite sv so far.