Author Topic: Prom dinner  (Read 4697 times)

Offline tarvos

Prom dinner
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
Hey all,

I am new here. I am a 18-yr old "foodie" (I don't like that word) and hope to spend some quality time here.

Anyways, prom dinner is coming up at the end of March, and my group is still undecided where to go. We had planned Canoe, but that doesn't work for everyone since there are some vegetarians and a few people want a cheaper restaurant.

So, good food is definitely a requirement but also atmosphere. Canoe was nice because the restaurant is nice inside, very good food, not too loud, and good area outside by the river for pictures. I guess we are looking for somewhere a little less expensive, but still would not look completely out of place in a tux.

End location is Emory, so the restaurant would have to be north half of atlanta or a little bit metro.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Prom dinner
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
Hey all,

I am new here. I am a 18-yr old "foodie" (I don't like that word) and hope to spend some quality time here.

Anyways, prom dinner is coming up at the end of March, and my group is still undecided where to go. We had planned Canoe, but that doesn't work for everyone since there are some vegetarians and a few people want a cheaper restaurant.

So, good food is definitely a requirement but also atmosphere. Canoe was nice because the restaurant is nice inside, very good food, not too loud, and good area outside by the river for pictures. I guess we are looking for somewhere a little less expensive, but still would not look completely out of place in a tux.

End location is Emory, so the restaurant would have to be north half of atlanta or a little bit metro.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

<<<<  The entire message board is thinking >>>>

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »
I was going to suggest Ray's on the River, but I checked out their menu prices and they're pretty much on par or more expensive than Canoe!  I do have one idea, have you considered La Grotta at Ravinia (http://www.lagrottaatlanta.com/perimeter.htm)?  I think the prices are a little better than Canoe, it's Northern Italian so you should be able to find options for vegetarians.  It may not look like it from the road, but its located in the Crown Plaza Ravinia and its surrounded by waterfalls, trees and plants.  Should be very good for pictures as well as a "scenic" dinner.  I don't think tuxedo's and formal wear would stick out.  Lastly, you should be able to jump onto 285 and 85 south to get to the Emory area pretty quickly.  Hope that helps and would love to hear back on how the dining experience was.

Offline tarvos

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:25:57 AM »
La Grotta would work. I ate there a while ago (great food) and I remember it being an older crowd, older decor, etc though. I think I might just have to convince mr. vegetarian to get a couple salads and desserts, haha. Ray's agreed, similarly priced but I think Canoe would be the better choice.

BTW on the topic of Italian, have any of you eaten at La Pietra Cucina? I went there last week and it was seriously the best Italian meal I have had since I visited Italy a couple years ago. Highly recommended. Fortunately I have Amalfi's in my backyard, too, but it's a totally different experience. Just wish Pietra used a better quality olive oil. I know the Italian way is to just serve bread and eat it on its own/with the meal, but if you are going to serve the bread first with olive oil, it better be damn fine oil.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »
If you want Italian for a large group, try Pricci for proms. They have private rooms and can offer refillable non-alcoholic beverages, but there is an auto-grat, I'm pretty sure. Call as early as possible to reserve, if that's your choice, but you can get a nice room with some good options for meat and veg. If you want cheaper, I'd try a couple of chains nearby. At any rate, you'd probably get better than I did on my prom night, but that was back in the stone age, I think. ;)
Food is my favorite.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »
If you like Italian, you should try the new Olive Garden in Grand Forks.  Here's a glowing review.

-B ;)

Offline MadBob

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:09 AM »
Regarding your Prom Dinner...

What difference would it make if you are dressed in Prom finery wherever you wind up? It your time to shine and who would you rather impress? My best guess is you and your group of friends!

Although the setting will be as important as pricing, maybe you could contact the Manager at some of your choices to see if you could come to a lets say "fixed price" menu for the occasion with some options, but you better get started because times a wasting. Group participation can be tricky especially when it comes to menu variance.

Make some phone calls, burn some fuel, get some face time..... the effort you put in now will benefit you regarding the outcome of all involved.

Anyway, good luck in finding a compatible venue for your Prom Dinner.

And a question regarding the verb "foodies", what would you call it?

Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline tarvos

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
If you like Italian, you should try the new Olive Garden in Grand Forks.  Here's a glowing review.

-B ;)

Haha I saw that on reddit a few days ago. Funny, but I feel bad for her, that the food options there are so lacking that Olive Garden is a good meal.

Regarding your Prom Dinner...

What difference would it make if you are dressed in Prom finery wherever you wind up? It your time to shine and who would you rather impress? My best guess is you and your group of friends!

Although the setting will be as important as pricing, maybe you could contact the Manager at some of your choices to see if you could come to a lets say "fixed price" menu for the occasion with some options, but you better get started because times a wasting. Group participation can be tricky especially when it comes to menu variance.

Make some phone calls, burn some fuel, get some face time..... the effort you put in now will benefit you regarding the outcome of all involved.

Anyway, good luck in finding a compatible venue for your Prom Dinner.

And a question regarding the verb "foodies", what would you call it?

Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to get my hands a little dirty. Start off by talking to Canoe about how they can accomodate my friend.

And well the word "foodie" may make sense, but I just don't like the connotation. You know, the whole small plates, "refined" palate, let's brush the plate with a little truffle oil baloney. I appreciate good food but am not looking for a transcendental experience caused by the creative synthesis of unusual ingredients by any world-winning chefs. I just like to eat.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:42:56 PM by tarvos »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
Hey all,

I just want you to know you are not the first person that has shown disdain for the word foodie.  After we put the board together we were going to change the name to something else but by then I had already gotten the tattoo, the business cards, the hats, the flyers, the t-shirts and renamed our street. 

So we are sticking with "Foodie".    ;)

Offline tarvos

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
Haha, I gotcha. I figured the name was at least a little tongue in cheek

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
Haha, I gotcha. I figured the name was at least a little tongue in cheek

You are beginning to understand me.   ;)

Sarcasm is my second language.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
My first suggestion is to stick with Canoe.  Although it may be a little expensive, I really think it is worth it.  Even after all these years, I still consider it to be a great date restaurant.  And do call them - I would be suprised if Chef Carvel wouldn't be willing to do something special for your vegetarian friend (or all of you even).

Thinking about other places to fit your situation, I mainly focused on the price, with vegetarian offerings and atmosphere being the second tier to narrow down choices, and lastly some consideration for geography.  This is what I came up with.

Atkins Park
794 N Highland Ave (404) 876-7249
Price: 10
Atmosphere: 6
Vegetarian: 7

I don't really get a 'special event' type of vibe from the place - it's more like an upscale tavern.  But I don't think you'd feel totally out of place being dressed up.  And I believe they're one of the most overlooked restaurants in Atlanta for their food.  It's not cutting edge, but it's always been very good for me.

Sotto Sotto
313 N Highland Ave NE (404) 523-6678
Price: 10 (sticking to pasta/risotto, entrees are a bit more)
Atmosphere: 7
Vegetarian: 10

Again, the atmosphere isn't completely a special event vibe, but you shouldn't feel out of place.  The food is always great, and your friend will have a ton of choices to choose from.  (Most of the time I eat there, I order half portions each of the mushroom pasta and caramelized onion risotto.)

JCT Kitchen
1198 Howell Mill Road (404) 355-2252
Price: 8
Atmosphere: 8
Vegetarian: 6+

I've only been here a handful of times, but I've always been happy with the food and service.  And I don't think a prom group would feel out of place at all in the dining room.  And there are some nice places for pictures around the White Provisions building, like the bridge over the railroad tracks.

Murphy's
997 Virginia Avenue NE  (404) 872-0904
Price: 9
Atmosphere: 9

They're not really fine dining, but I've always felt that their atmosphere is upscale without being stuffy.  I ate there last about a month ago and had the pork shank, which was delicious.

Cakes & Ale
155 Sycamore Street (404) 377-7994
Price: 8

I haven't been to their new location, but from what I've heard it's not a huge decorative change.  I would have rated them higher in Vegetarian, but they only have one actual vegetarian entree, although there are many appetizers and sides that can be combined into a meal.

Twist & Noche
3500 Peachtree Road NE  (404) 869-1191
1000 Virginia Ave. NE  (404) 815-9155
Price: 9
Atmosphere: 6  (Twist would get an extra point or two)
Vegetarian: 10

The price point is mainly why I included these two places, plus there would be plenty of vegetarian options.

The Shed At Glenwood
475 Bill Kennedy Way  (404) 835-4363
Price: 7
Atmosphere: 9

I've rarely eaten anything here that wasn't a slider.  But assuming that they are representative of the quality of the rest of the menu, you won't be disappointed with the food.  And the interior is nice enough that it would a great place for a special dinner.

Technique
1927 Lakeside Parkway, Tucker, GA 30084 (770) 723-3507
Price: 10+
Vegetarian: 5 (just one choice)

This is the restaurant at Le Cordon Bleu.  A couple of potential problems though - geography and hours.  It's just a little outside 285 off of Lawrenceville Highway, although not really that far from Emory University.  Their dinner hours are really limited, and they're closed on Saturdays and Sundays (and Mondays).  I assume the prom is on a Saturday, but I included this just in case - mostly because the price is incredibly within your limits, and not a lot of people know about the restaurant.

If Canoe doesn't work out, I hope this helps.  Let us know where you end up going.

-Greg

Offline MadBob

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:06:34 PM »
All good and I will keep my Del Taco comment to myself. Which is where I am currently headed after a night out at the Sweetwater function. Sometimes you gotta love fast, chain, cuisine. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »
Any good restaurant will be able to accommodate a special diet. Being a vegetarian is not unusual these days. It may be harder if he's vegan or vegan & gluten free.

Offline tarvos

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
Thank you for the very thorough post gwilson. I did finalize Canoe, but I know a few other prom groups that are still trying to decide on restaurants so I will make sure to pass your post along.