Poll

Do you support a move to add a 25% gratuity to your bill (that you had to pay)?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
16 (100%)
Other (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Standard 25% tip added to every restaurant bill...  (Read 2186 times)

Offline terry

Standard 25% tip added to every restaurant bill...
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
I don't know if this is hoax or not, but servers in San Francisco want a standard 25% "tip" added to every bill. Apparently, they are trying to get a law passed...

Personally, I think this is uncalled for. It would no longer be a "tip", but a tax.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/10/13/san-francisco-restaurants-want-to-make-25-standard-tip-rate/
technical writer, webmaster and P/T chef at a restaurant OTP

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Standard 25% tip added to every restaurant bill...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
What I would like to see is a system where all menu prices take into account the total cost to the restaurant, including servers' full wages and benefits, and no longer being expected to leave ANY so-called "tip."

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »
What I would like to see is a system where all menu prices take into account the total cost to the restaurant, including servers' full wages and benefits, and no longer being expected to leave ANY so-called "tip."

I like the tip process personally. It is good to be able to reward good service or not.  Cause and effect sometimes is a great motivator.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
If it's added automatically, it isn't a tip, it's a 25% increase in the price of food at someplace I won't tip... so I guess I'd have to evaluate if that food was worth that price.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »

I like the tip process personally. It is good to be able to reward good service or not.  Cause and effect sometimes is a great motivator.

If I were persuaded that tips are a strong motivator of server performance, I'd agree.  But I've come to believe that servers are not strongly motivated by tips, and the kitchen surely isn't.  Servers expect a tip to fall within a range, whether the service was good or bad.  And to some extent I can understand this, since the tip is not really a reward for good service but in many instances a part of their living wage.  It shouldn't be the customer's job to withhold a portion of the server's wages if the service was bad.  I have come to believe that if service is lousy, the best option is to tip a standard amount and alert management of the problem.  The server's motivation comes mainly from management feedback, not the desire for large tips.  Fear of getting fired is a much bigger motivator than fear of a low tip.  As I believe Foodgeek has pointed out before, servers often miss the association between a customer's low tip and the service they gave that customer, blaming the low tip on any of a variety of other things such as the customer being stingy by personality.

The whole concept of tipping servers just puts the customer in the awkward position of managing the server.

Offline jimmy

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »
Just wait for the "additional tip line" below the automatic 25% line.

Offline loveATL

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
I have come to believe that if service is lousy, the best option is to tip a standard amount and alert management of the problem.  The server's motivation comes mainly from management feedback, not the desire for large tips.  Fear of getting fired is a much bigger motivator than fear of a low tip.  As I believe Foodgeek has pointed out before, servers often miss the association between a customer's low tip and the service they gave that customer, blaming the low tip on any of a variety of other things such as the customer being stingy by personality.

I couldn't agree more.  I tell my friends this all of the time when they comment about leaving a small tip with the expectation that the server will have some sort of 'A-HA!!' moment and realize 'maybe I didn't provide the best service' but instead will go to the back and tell the staff that an a*&#hole left them a sh*&ty tip. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:44:47 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »

I would love a Euro. service included system where people are decently paid and you can leave a little something extra if you want.

As an "industry" person, I lean towards the 20% plus when I eat out but I often get a lot of "love.". 

And I do agree with a "forced" tip on large parties.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle