Author Topic: New "Cooking Channel" NYT article  (Read 5697 times)

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
Re: New "Cooking Channel" NYT article
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 07:10:56 AM »
Is this on Dish Network yet?
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »
It was formerly Fine Living so if you had that, you should have this...

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:01 AM »
Where we are in Cobb, Comcast has it on channel 255 between DIY and FitTV on the digital lineup.  You won't have it if you only get basic cable.

Last night we caught a couple of episodes of Two Fat Ladies while FG confited a duck.  They would have been proud.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Minerva

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
Somewhat disappointed in that a major part of the progamming seems to be old shows from Food Network. Too much Giada. But you can catch Julia and Graham Kerr mid afternoon weekdays.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »
http://www.slate.com/id/2256963/

A somewhat snarky review of the programming from Slate.  Old Food Network shows dominate so far, and you have to take your Iron Chef Japan with your Emeril Live.  They are trying to establish their own stars, and they do have more diversity of styles and locations than the mother ship.

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
It was formerly Fine Living so if you had that, you should have this...

Damn, not part of package. Top 200. I don't think its worth an additional 10 bucks a month for it.
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
I have been recording some of the new stuff like the Chinese and Indian cooking shows, Food Jammers and even the old 2 Fat Ladies. I think once they get their legs that maybe there will be some good original programming, centainly hope so. One thing nice about watching a recording is that you can fast forward throught it and only spend 15-20 minutes of your time.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »
Don't know if y'all have decent internet speeds, but Hulu has a lot of cooking shows, including Molto Mario.

http://www.hulu.com/molto-mario

Offline LamarT

• Email
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
Great to see old Mario B cooking shows. Some of the offerings of the new shows are .... ah hell, I do not like them. Mo Rocca
made chocolate seem like a source of great irony and sarcasm to the point that I did not get more than 20 minutes and 30 commercials
into the show before changing channels. Food is what we live for, what we anticipate and love. We even find the marriage of truth and beauty
to be alive in a perfect meal. And if it is funny, cool, there is laughter to a meal and to the history of our world foods. But irony and sarcasm?
He made the greatest of ingredients seem as if it were a bored first year philosophy student languishing over the stupidity of long division.

I feel bad that I rarely post here, and it has to be one bitching about a Cooking Channel, but there is much more talent in the world
than what has been shown in the early spate of originals on the Cooking Channel. Hope it gets better. First throw out the baby and
the bathwater of post post modern imitators of Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain. The world of cuisine is so rich and diverse, and yes
full of fun and challenge, but it is not all butter and more garlic, it is nuance and vulgar, it is sublime and ordinary, it is not chopping up
a refrigerator and making a coffee can stove, it is finding ways to feed 20 when you only have food for 10.
Mo Rocca. He is an overly vinegared pickle that begs to be run out of town on a lamb kabob and live urchin caravan. Speaking of vinegar and pickles.
There is a balance. If you eat a set of pickles and all that you can taste is white vinegar. Period. Just white vinegar. Then it is not a pickle.
It is ruined.

Offline The_Scientist

• Email
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »
Michael Symon will have a new show, Cook Like an Iron Chef, debuting this Thursday at 10.  As the title implies it supposedly shows how to make Iron Chef calibre dishes at home.

Offline Girly

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:09 PM »
We don't have it yet on Ma and Pa Kettle Cable company. Heck, it was just a couple of months ago we got Bravo, ergo Top Chef.  :P

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »
Awesome!  I just saw on my DirecTV guide that Luke Nguyen's Vietnam is going to be on Cooking Channel.  It's Sunday at 11 am.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/lukes-vietnam/index.html

I believe he's the chef/owner at Red Lantern in Australia.  The episodes I've seen on Youtube have been informative and pretty "authentic" dare I say :).  I like that the dishes he's preparing are more in line with the stuff I grew up eating.  There's an episode where he's in Phan Thiet by a fish market.  If you look in the background and see a multi-story white house in the background, that's belongs to one of my relatives :)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
COOL! Thanks for hte heads up. I watched some on youtube as well and they were very good.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »

If you get tired of the comedy shows on TV watch Padma blunder her way through her recipes using bullion cubes and changing direction and dropping things and occasionally staring out into the void (possibly reading her prompter).  I DVR'd one of her shows to show CP, my lovely wife said "this is like the old shows on the Food Channel when they didn't really have chefs."  We didn't watch the whole episode, but prove it to yourself, give a look at this if it comes up on rotation.  It is better than some comedy TV shows for sure.

Recipe courtesy Padma Lakshmi
Show: Melting Pot Episode: Vegetarian Specialties

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline MadBob

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »
Boy, those go back a while.... whatta bout Justin Wilson Louisiana Cooking Outdoors? Oohhhh we! Cook shrimp!! You know he was a comedian before he did a cooking show, and held a few other posts besides! Just my 2 cents.
Have you ever listened to someone for a while and wondered, who ties your shoelaces?

You can't do epic shit with basic people.

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.