Author Topic: That John Kessler will say the darndest things !  (Read 9924 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: That John Kessler will say the darndest things !
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 07:59:11 AM »
The snarks are out for his latest blog - some sound familiar somehow... ;)

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2010/06/01/sunday-column-is-the-atlanta-dining-scene-in-a-slump/?cxntfid=blogs_food_and_more

I find this really disturbing. Who is this Jeff guy? Why is Kessler taking so much heat lately? He's certainly not provoking it, as far as I can see.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 08:01:40 AM »
People drinking too much haterade!

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »
I like Kessler's writing style.
Whether he motivates me to go someplace new or not, it's one of the few things I enjoy reading in the AJC.
This "Jeff" guy didn't seem to really read the article anyway. 
In it, Kessler refers to the ebb and flow of the business and the economy.
Jeff then mimics this line as if his own and makes it a point to say that his unbounded knowledge gives him the insight to see it is the "ebb and flow" of the business and economy. 

Sometimes the mindless commentary is as entertaining as the author's writing.
Oy.

::)
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline totm

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 01:02:19 PM »
I've already communicated via email with JK, but does anybody else actually read the AJC and "Food and More"?  JK believes I'm an anomaly (plenty of others probably do to) in that I still read the newspaper but look at his blog.  I find it odd the way some newspaper articles will appear on the blog and some blog posts will appear in the newspaper.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Minerva

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
JK believes I'm an anomaly (plenty of others probably do to) in that I still read the newspaper but look at his blog.  I find it odd the way some newspaper articles will appear on the blog and some blog posts will appear in the newspaper.

I also read both. I think the paper uses the blog posts after they have already appeared online, sometimes days after. But I don't always get online when I want to these days, so the print version is welcome.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
I've already communicated via email with JK, but does anybody else actually read the AJC and "Food and More"?  JK believes I'm an anomaly (plenty of others probably do to) in that I still read the newspaper but look at his blog.  I find it odd the way some newspaper articles will appear on the blog and some blog posts will appear in the newspaper.

I still get the newspaper as well as read things, esp. JK, online (and it is definitely the case that blog posts appear days or a week later in the paper).  I find both the print and web AJC annoying sometimes.  The food section used to be really quite good, with lots of articles and some great recipes.  Now it is more often than not just four pages long, with one of those pages being a grocery store ad.  But the website is kind of lame, too.  They don't seem to put everything that appears in print online, so if I see an article that I want to e-mail to a friend, most of the time I can't find it on the website. 

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
I think Jeff belongs to a group of people that just doesn't really like the idea of people enjoying themselves and probably even sees it as a little immoral if people enjoy themselves too much.  You see that same sentiment a lot when people talk about birth control and various other cultural slut shaming exercises, but I think it bleeds over into other areas as well.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
I haven't gotten a newspaper in years, and I'm one of those folks who's actually pretty supportive of some old-school media. There's something to be said for being able to relax at a cafe and read the paper, not on a screen, but folded neatly in front of you.

I read the 2 largest free weeklies in town and I read Kessler's blog, occasionally scouring the online content of AJC for specific news items, but I haven't read the food section of the actual AJC in so long that I'd forgotten MFG was still there.

One serious annoyance I have: I hate that "free" Evening Edge thingy that gets tossed into my driveway, sometimes to turn into rainy sludge by the time I get home. Why are they allowed to litter on our property that way? If I want the paper, I'll subscribe to it. When I first started seeing this, I thought it might be OK, given that there's usually a food feature plus some coupons, but looking over it only served to remind me how poor the AJC food section had become in recent years, which is a shame. What's worse is that it worries me that someone casing my house would be able to see that no one is home when we go out of town, because obviously we're not picking up our free "paper." What a nuisance.

But it's great that Kessler is still around. He's still as good a writer as ever.

Modified to add that I think that "cultural slut shaming exercises" is an awesome new catch phrase, and I intend to use it. Stop picking on sluts! Where would we be without sluts?
Food is my favorite.

Offline totm

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »
I still get the newspaper as well as read things, esp. JK, online (and it is definitely the case that blog posts appear days or a week later in the paper).  I find both the print and web AJC annoying sometimes.  The food section used to be really quite good, with lots of articles and some great recipes.  Now it is more often than not just four pages long, with one of those pages being a grocery store ad.  But the website is kind of lame, too.
When the AJC first started to have a web presence they put the entire newspaper online in a format that made reading the newspaper a breeze.  Each section would have a web page and each article would have the title and first few sentences.  It was very convenient to scan for articles of interest.  I told my boss at the time that a good day at work was when I was able to get through the newspaper and get a little work done.  They progressively made it more difficult to read what was that days paper.  The only thing AJC related that I really read online is JK's blog.

No doubt the food section has gotten to be a shadow of its former self.  How I miss the food section from the NY Times of the early '80s.

I used to sling AJCs (and NYTimes and Philly Inqs for that matter) from car/truck windows.  It used to be a work out but now I've got to believe it a breeze.

One serious annoyance I have: I hate that "free"
Be glad you only get that one freebie tossed in your driveway.  In my area there's not only that thing but DeKalb News or some such and the Dunwoody Crier.  It is almost like littering private property.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
News flash: newspapers are in trouble.  If you're one of the few still getting a newspaper, you might have heard (or not since, news flash, newspapers are in trouble). 

For practically the entire 20th century newspapers had a monopoly on local and state news, serious investigation and opinion.  The profits that rolled in allowed them to do other things like hire movie, TV and food critics.  It was all very cozy and romantic.

Like most monopolies they became fat and complacent in the face of new threats.  TV and radio news actually didn't affect them much, so when Internet sources started popping up, they either ignored them or put up a bad imitation of a Web site, thinking it was good enough.  Now it's only a matter of time before major cities start losing all of their papers and everything goes electronic.

Sad to say John Kessler and his ilk are probably not long for this world.  Gather ye recipes while ye may.
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Barnum

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2010, 09:17:58 AM »
I certainly agree its' days are numbered, but count me in as someone who enjoys sitting in a cafe or coffee house with a newspaper.  These days I'm as likely to have a netbook and can obviously access much more entertainment online (cynically, put me in the group of people who think modern "news" is more about entertainment and less about news...) but still enjoy the feel of the paper more.  I don't get the paper delivered but pick one up almost every Sunday.  I used to also pick up a copy once in a while on other days but have almost totally stopped that... the meager offering on other days ($1) makes me feel like I've been taken advantage of.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »

And to stay off topic here, can I combine "pet peeve" and "AJC" and vent on something that shouldn't bother me, but does.  As I mentioned, I buy the paper at least once a week.  The Sunday paper is $2.  $2 from the box.  $2 from the quicktrip.  $2 at starbucks... and $2 + tax at Kroger or Publix.  What's up with that?  It's always been my understanding that it's priced as $2 is the cost of the paper with tax.  I asked about it the other day in Kroger and the cashier first blamed it on the POS saying there were a lot of things wrong in it.  When I then said "so you're saying that's the wrong price?", she changed to say that Kroger used to pay that tax on it for the customer to be nice, but doesn't do that any longer.  You mean quicktrip is paying the tax for me?  Guess it still comes down to a questionable value... and more so when I feel someone is charging me even more for it out of ignorance.

Curious to here if anyone has any personal experience with this aspect of retail and could shed some light?

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »
I won't vouch for the truth of this, but I've read various places that stores that charge the cover price actually do pay the tax for you.  I don't really know why.