Author Topic: America's Next Great Restaurant  (Read 1556 times)

Offline loveATL

• Email
America's Next Great Restaurant
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:31:39 PM »
Anyone watching?  NBC 10PM Tues.  Concept - reality show with 10 contestants competing to open the next great chain. Winner gets 3 outlets - NY, Hollywood, and Minneapolis.  Thoughts? 

Offline mikeamor

• Email
Re: America's Next Great Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
Saw it last night and it was not very compelling.
There is a particularly offensive couple from California that want to start a "Southern" restaurant that appeals to whatever they think are "rednecks".  They call it "Hick's" (not sure of why they use the possessive form).
They originally sold the investors on the concept of serving Southern food in a tapas format.   Not a bad idea but for their first big outing, their idea of southern cuisine was frozen, processed potatoes (tater tots) covered in cheese, sausage wrapped in bacon and some other greasy dish.  The judges were disgusted, calling it awful, fat-laden and unsatisfying.  The contestants' attitude and concept of the south is what's really awful.  If southern was a race, they'd be considered racist.
Anyway,
An Indian guy wants to bring dumbed down Indian food to "the masses", another guy thinks his fortune is in grilled cheese, etc.
All the concepts are supposed to be original and innovative and the investors act as though they are but they are just tired.  Chicken & Waffles?  Wow, what a cool idea!  They all seem to be pretty lacklustre in concept and execution.
Interestingly, the day after this debuted, IHOP started running a commercial for their chicken & waffles.  Pretty funny.
I seriously doubt anyone with a truly original concept is going to flaunt it on TV for weeks before they execute.
Yawn.

Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
. . .
An Indian guy wants to bring dumbed down Indian food to "the masses", . . . .

I've long wondered why I've never seen fast-food Indian in the US.  Seems to me that a mainstream fast-food chain with the likes of chicken tikka masala, curry and tandoori could do well.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
. . .
An Indian guy wants to bring dumbed down Indian food to "the masses", . . . .

I've long wondered why I've never seen fast-food Indian in the US.  Seems to me that a mainstream fast-food chain with the likes of chicken tikka masala, curry and tandoori could do well.

I could maybe see tandoori chicken and some naan, but I would be hella pissed if my wife spilled tikka masala or curry in the car while driving down the interstate. :)  Maybe as a fast casual sit down, but definitely no drive though potential in my opinion.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
The original episodes are on Sunday nights at 8:00 pm on NBC.  All of the restaurants are to be fast casual.  Some of the concepts are decent - the Southern tapas, in particular, I think could be a success.  The Indian also - that's something I'd like to see.  I could see a couple of others that would probably make a go of it, even if I personally wouldn't care to eat there.

From the first episode, I really wasn't sure if I was going to like it.  I wasn't sure how they were going to handle things, and if it was just going to be a lowest common denominator type of thing.  But I really enjoyed watching the second episode.  I think the challenges they're doing are really good.  It's filmed and edited well.  And so far, they're handling the judging really well.  It seems they are really trying to find a good concept and a good person behind it - not just another way to make money.  Plus, Curtis Stone is a judge.  I've been a fan of his for a long time.

Oh, forgot one point.  A lot of the people behind the individual concepts have *no* hospitality experience.  And sometimes it shows, like the Hick's concept using processed food.  The judges aren't really giving them a break for the inexperience, but they do realize that some of them need help in that area.  Overall, I'm enjoying the show quite a bit more than I thought I would.  Hopefully, they'll keep up with what they're doing right on the show.

-Greg