Author Topic: Roy's Cheesteaks  (Read 4234 times)

Offline foodfechter

Re: Roy's Cheesteaks
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »
Stopped by this place for lunch today - had a sweet peppers and onions cheesesteak with American cheese. Really quite delicious. I don't have a lot of experience with such things, but I enjoyed it a lot. One of the people I dined with is from Philly and vouches for this place - says it's the best he's had in Atlanta.

Fries were particularly crispy and delicious, as well.

Excited to have this place close to work.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »
We stopped in a week or two ago after a lengthy absence. Cheesesteaks as good as ever. I like the small cheesesteak with whiz or white American (tried provolone but it just gets lost), onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers and occasionally the hot peppers as well (though that tends to throw off the pepper-to-meat ratio). I really like the fries here too, which are a battered variety, always perfectly crispy. And it's a little thing, but having the birch beer on tap further cements the authenticity.

Wife tried the the meatball marinara sandwich and it was just okay. Meatballs a bit spongy and not really flavorful (and there were only three of them). The pizza steak would have been a better option.

As signs prominently announce, Roy's offers burgers now as well, but I'm not sure why anyone would come here for that. There's a million places in Atlanta (and within a block or two) to get a burger. It's the cheesesteaks that make Roy's special. I know some folks still prefer Woody's but Roy's wins the Atlanta cheesesteak title in my book.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 04:04:59 AM »
Was surfing around and found that Roy of Roy's Cheesesteak is no longer affiliated with Roy's Cheesesteak.

The exact tweet from April 8th is:

Roy is no longer involved with Roy's Cheesesteaks. Look for us in May! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKMmrQCIYzw CHAMPION CSBF

Looks like he's currently doing a special event food truck:

http://championcheesesteaks.com/

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 06:42:34 AM »
Hrm..i havne't been back in a long while. I'll have to check it out and hopefully it's still delicious.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »
Yeah, as long as they keep doing things the same way and don't start cheaping out on the ingredients, I can't imagine it'd go downhill. This ain't exactly a chef/owner-driven resto ala Cakes & Ale.  ::)

The cheesesteak truck is interesting. Anyone seen it around?