Author Topic: Kang Nam  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Kang Nam
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:38:18 AM »
I'd really love to reference the old thread on the other forum, because I've had many good meals at this restaurant, and some of my older stories were rather amusing, but since the other board seems to be unavailable at the moment, I guess I'll start fresh.

I first discovered this restaurant as a result of John Kessler's "Mr. Sushi Hand-Chop Guy" article that many of you read years ago and enjoyed. I had searched for a restaurant that served the dish Hwe Dup Bop, or the sashimi version of Bi Bim Bap, and found it at a restaurant called Sushi House, which is now no longer in existence, later replaced by Sushi House Hayakawa. It's really a terrific sort of meal and worth seeking out.

At any rate, The Scientist and I had decided to make a day of the traditional BuHi experience yesterday and, after trying to go to several closed restaurants, ended up at Kang Nam. Terrific meal as always, but this was The Scientist's first time there, so also something new and different.

I got my Hwe Dup Bop, this time as a lunch combo with spicy fish soup. My server tried to talk me out of the spicy soup, almost over encouraging me to get miso soup instead, but I insisted that I'd be fine with the spicy fish soup. I still got miso soup anyway, as it's sort of included in these lunch combinations, which are generally an enormous bargain, given how much food you end up receiving with soup, salad, pickles and the gigantic bowl of fish, plus the spicy soup. Scientist got the udon plus one maki roll - korean style sushi, in this case - and neither of us could finish our portions of food. The Hwe Dup Bop comes in a bowl that is roughly 2 and a half times the size of my head, and while the fish isn't nearly as great in selection at lunch as it is at dinner, it's still pretty good.

One radically different addition to our usual Korean side dishes arrived at the table: A sizzling cast iron platter of corn, topped with cheese. Yes, cheese. It was very yummy but also somewhat perplexing, since I don't think I've ever been served cheese in any Korean restaurant, or corn for that matter.

It's a really great place, and if anyone goes and gets the Kang Nam Jungsik, a multi-course meal that is considered fit for a King in Korea, please come back here and report about it. Thanks in advance.
Food is my favorite.