Author Topic: 4th & Swift - Old Fourth Ward  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Barnum

4th & Swift - Old Fourth Ward
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
621 North Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
WEBSITE

I haven't been for a while, but got an email from them saying they were celebrating their 2 year anniversary.

It also mentions "Prix Fixe Fridays" this summer (3 courses from their "seasonal menu" for $35).  Probably a pretty good deal, I've enjoyed the 2 times I've eaten there.  Anybody been recently?

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
Re: 4th & Swift - Old Fourth Ward
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:22:16 PM »
Funny you should ask.  Thursday night with the wife and in-laws.   Very good meal. 

Items consumed included a pork croquete; arugula and beet salad; duck breast with chantrelles, polenta, and cilantro cream; bistro steak; and Szechuan Pepper Crusted Beef Strip Loin.  All were quite good, save the strip which didn't stand a chance when the FIL ordered it "medium-well."   :'(

I have always been, and continue to be, a fan of this place.
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline jonnymack

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »
I've never had anything less than a stellar meal there.  It's our go-to date night spot.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
My wife and I went last night to celebrate her birthday and had a very nice time.  We started by sharing the Tybee Island Shrimp Ceviche (House Made Saltines, Cucumber, Avocado, Chile Sorbet).  The shrimp were the slightest bit limp and left me wondering a little about general freshness, though I'm not sure I know what to expect.  Ultimately, though, it was sharp and rich and refreshing at the same time with the chile sorbet really providing a nice contrast.  It would have been nice to have more than 2 of the homemade saltines because I seemed to want to pile shrimp, avocado and sorbet on a cracker and pop it into my mouth and was left piling up the bulk of this app on my fork. 

For a main, I had the wood grilled arctic char (Curry Tomato Sauce, Cured Black Olive, Roasted Fennel Red Pearl Onion) that I enjoyed though my my wife's pan roasted red snapper (Ricotta-Field Pea Ravioli, Lady Peas, Beech Mushrooms, Tomato Water, Basil) off the market menu was the better of the two... as noted on so many threads, sometimes it's the stuff on the plate other than the fish that makes the difference and I thought the tomato/pea/mushroom combination was the better of the 2. I do appreciate that neither of the fish dishes were over cooked or dry.

Because we were celebrating, we got a couple deserts and shared.  One was a mango tarte tatin that was a very nice mix of tart and sweet with a little bit of sticky and gooey to boot.  The best, I thought, was the flourless valrhona chocolate cake with olive oil gelato and potato chips.  Moist and not at all cake-like, it had a Rich dark chocolate flavor with the really subtle refreshing gelato and a little saltiness from the thin crispy potato strips (I know, odd sounding, but the potato chips worked).

With probably 50-75% of the tables full, there was a nice buzz about the place (certainly not the place if you're looking for a really quiet option).  As with my other couple trips here, very nice service that was willing and able to talk details of whats on the menu.

Offline chefmoss

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
Half off depot $20 for $50 today at 4th and swift.

Offline jackeats

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Went for Midtown Restaurant week so there was a set menu for $35 which was a great deal!

Fantastic - I would order these again:
English Sticky Toffee Pudding - AMAZING. Very rich. Definitely better than the chocolate tart.
Sweet Corn Soup - the pickled okra in it was delicious; I wish they had put in more!

Pretty good - but would try something else next time:
Wood Grilled Berkshire Pork Loin - the pork loin was delicious and well-seasoned but the the sides did not appeal to me (baked beans and malt vinegar slaw).
Smoke & Flowers Margarita - definitely smokey!

There was nothing I would not eat again. It was all good.