Author Topic: Morelli's Gourmet Ice Cream - East Atlanta  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Barnum

Morelli's Gourmet Ice Cream - East Atlanta
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
749 Moreland Ave SE
Atlanta, GA 30316
(404) 622-0210

WEBSITE

I know they got a lot of love on the other board, so I wanted to start a thread after a stop this afternoon on the way home from work.

Fantastic as always.  Not sure how they get it THAT creamy.  I had one of the specials, the salted caramel, along with a scoop of chocolate.  That caramel was tasty but certainly need something sweet to balance it out.  I continue to be impressed with about everything I get here.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: Morelli's Gourmet Ice Cream - East Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »
I do love the sweet corn, and I want to try the jalapeno coconut sometime soon.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:14:46 PM »
I took Mr. Sadle here tonight after our yummy burgers (turkey for him, veggie for me) at the Vortex.

Mr. Sadle got the maple ice cream with carmel infused bacon bits. He loved it. He said it was just a hint of bacon and that the ice cream tasted like maple syrup. I had the chocolate chocolate chip. I'm an admitted chocoholic....it was deliciously amazing. The chocolate chips were more like shaved bits, not shaped at all like a "chip." It was very creamy. The only ice cream I've had to rival it in creaminess is from the Clemson Agricultural Sales Center at my alma mater. It's still the best ice cream out there. (I'm biased b/c I worked in the CU dairy processing plant for a while...) I also tasted the salted caramel, which was also delicious. The salt played well of the sweetness of the caramel. I thought a scoop of it might be too much for me, though.

Their summer hours started this week.

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »
Finished up our Sunday date night with a quick stop for some really good ice cream.  Flavor selection was a bit thin, so I suspect they may have run out of some stuff after a hot day.  The wife went with the chocolate hazelnut, which I gather was good, as it disappeared in record time leaving nothing but a vapor trail in its wake.  I split a single into 2 flavors, the salty caramel (WOW!) and the mixed berry.  The caramel was one of the best ice creams I have ever tasted, but the flavor was really strong, and it needed the sweet fruit of the other flavor to act as a contrast.  While I loved this stuff, I think going it alone would be overwhelming after a few bites, and I needed the berry to simply reset my palette  every few bites.

There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member

Offline Barnum

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »

Grabbed a Mexican malted milk shake today and was asked "you want me to throw in a pinch of cayenne"

Hell yes!  That might be the perfect drink on a hot day!  Sweet and refreshing with that little spicy kick at the back of your throat.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:57 AM »
Scientist and I lost our Morelli's virginity together yesterday with a couple of delicious sugar cones. His was a Gillespie coffee version with chocolate chips, toasted marshmallows and cashews and mine was split between salted caramel and chocolate hazelnut. Both were terrific and we were extremely happy with our choices. This is a pretty rare event, because I make ice cream at home quite often and don't usually buy any, but this was well worth it, and perfect temperature for such a treat.

If you haven't been yet, make sure to visit. Worth a drive from any neighborhood. And I disagree with Barnum as to the salted caramel needing to be balanced out by something sweet. It was great to have a single split between two flavors, of course - that's a nice value - but I could have easily eaten a bucket of the caramel by itself.
Food is my favorite.

Offline eatnrun

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
Okay, this is funny, but just this morning I started craving that salted caramel ice cream and made a date to go down there later today and get some.  (Long way from me, but near son and DIL....good excuse to visit!)   Then I came upon this thread.   :)

That flavor is amazing!  I first tasted it about a month ago and thought I'd gone to ice cream heaven.  YUMMMMY! 

Offline Barnum

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
And I disagree with Barnum as to the salted caramel

And really, I don't mind... I think however, to be fair, we both need to go back and try it a couple more times (sometimes by itself and sometimes in combination with other flavors) before we start arguing this out for real.  Now this is the way to argue!   ;D

Offline eatnrun

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »
And I disagree with Barnum as to the salted caramel

And really, I don't mind... I think however, to be fair, we both need to go back and try it a couple more times (sometimes by itself and sometimes in combination with other flavors) before we start arguing this out for real.  Now this is the way to argue!   ;D

It depends on your taste, of course (and I am willing to try it again, just to be sure!) but generally if you like sweet/salty treats like a Payday candy bar you will love salted caramel.  Take away the peanuts from a Payday and that is pretty much the flavor.  I like the salty flavor, that is what makes it so delish to me!

But we can surely have further discussion after sampling again....and again.... ;)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »
Their lunch specials sound really good. Perhaps we could argue this over a couple of hot dogs to go with our scoops of salted caramel?

In addition to settling the debate, I'll be doing "research" to see if I can ferret out a recipe to make this flavor at home. Ah, a home ice cream maker's work is never done. . .
Food is my favorite.

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
This is very close to me but I rarely travel that way, I had seen it but never tried it. This post got me curious
so I stopped by today and had the salted caramel and a guava cheesecake gelato, loved both! I brought home a
pint of the salted caramel to photograph for my blog. Yeah, that's why... just to take pictures ;)

p.s. This forum is making me fat(ter)!
Fresh Pie!

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
We were there on Friday for our 2nd (or 3rd?) visit.  I had the salted caramel and loved it, but more than one scoop would probably be too much.  It was nicely balanced by DH's Indian kulfi.  Yum!

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »
Well, I'm not planning to eat it all in one sitting.

::)

Fresh Pie!

Offline cuechick

• Piewacket Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
Got the pic and post up on my blog and had to add a little shout out to this board for planting the seed.
Fresh Pie!