Author Topic: Local beers as gift to ship  (Read 884 times)

Offline Girly

Local beers as gift to ship
« on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:13 AM »
I drew the name for a gift exchange of a big beer drinker who used to live in Atlanta and is now in Chicago. I'd love to find him some good local beers. He moved about 3 years ago so maybe something that's come out since then? I am NOT a beer drinker so I'm totally lost :(

Here are some comments he's made to give you an idea of the types he likes:

"Stone's Levitation Ale.  I'm a fan of IPA's."
"I've been drinking a bunch of shandies lately due to this hot summer (they're so gosh darn refreshing).

Leinie's Summer Shandy is surprisingly good, though I've been making my own with Seirra Mist and Two Brother's Ebel Weiss Beer and it's pretty good."
"Get any of the IPAs by Stone Brewing Company (from San Diego, naturally).  Especially the Ruination IPA.  Yummy. 

Also note, if you live in Ohio or Colorado, Stone just released on 10/5/12 their Enjoy By 11/9/12 IPA.  They released and sold out their September version in a day or two in Chicago, so good luck getting some.  It was good."

It would be great if I could order and have them ship so I don't have to pack things up and cross my fingers that they end up in Chicago with beer still intact, but whatever it takes. There's a $25 limit but I always end up going over that ;)

He's also managed to get the wife pregnant 4 times in 5 years so I'm throwing in several boxes of condoms - don't need any recs on those though  ;)

Thanks!!

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Local beers as gift to ship
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
First, don't get your hopes up about the brewery shipping anything for you. I'm nearly positive it's illegal to ship any alcohol in/out of Georgia. Which leads to #2, assuming you pack and ship yourself, DO NOT tell the shipper that you are shipping alcohol - tell them it's "glassware".  They don't need to know what's inside the glass.  #3 I'd go for a Sweetwater or Terrapin brew. Sweetwater has a Dank Tank release out and Terrapin has a So Fresh So Green that you could easily find at a well stocked beer shop.  Go for 22ish ounce bottles.  Far easier to ship than a 6 pack.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
Sweetwater and Terrapin I think are probably the most popular, in part they’ve been around a while and have established themselves. 420 is SW signature. I think the Rye is Terrapin’s.

I really like both the Invocation and that quad beer from Wild Heavens, an up and comer brewer. Red Hare puts out some more than worthy enough to put in the mix.
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Girly

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
Thanks, folks - are these things he can't buy in ChiTown? That's my goal. :)

I won't tell ANYONE what I'm shipping. I thought though that things had changed? *sigh* Good 'ol GA.

Offline Corky

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Maybe the laws have changed. I know I have received various rums not available through Georgia distributors in the 750 ml variety from various hootchatoriums (sent by friends) around the country, lately.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline MadBob

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
Put this address for Seek A Brew in your browser, http://seekabrew.com/distro/index.html click on the Georgia map and print, next, click on the Illinois map and print.
Next, compare and scratch off the names of the Brewers that match and what you will have left is a list in Georgia that isn't distributed in Illinois.

Now, pick what you may find from that list, bubble wrap and pack in a box nicely and get to the Post Office/FedEx/UPS. if required for ID purposes, never lie, just don't tell them the whole truth! Say what is in your shipment is nothing but yeast samples!

What you send should entertain your friend. Any questions you may have should be answered knowledgeably by your local package store/bottle shop associate. I would not reccomend going to a grocery store and asking there. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the world of Craft Beer! Tis a most Excellent place....
"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress"
Ronald Reagan

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

Offline Girly

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
I don't care what everyone else says, you guys are OK in my book ;)

Megathanks all!!!

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
Put this address for Seek A Brew in your browser, http://seekabrew.com/distro/index.html click on the Georgia map and print, next, click on the Illinois map and print.
Next, compare and scratch off the names of the Brewers that match and what you will have left is a list in Georgia that isn't distributed in Illinois. . . .

That is a great feature.