Author Topic: St. Louis  (Read 516 times)

Offline shoeshine boy

St. Louis
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:58 AM »
headed to St. Louis in a couple of weeks. won't be there very long (30 hours total) but I need some recommendations. :)

Offline GabrielsDad

• Back to who I was
    • Email
Re: St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
My brother lives in St. Louis and is VERY tied in to the food and drink scene - he runs a really cool wine bar called "33" which I highly recommend checking out (and not just because it's owned by my brother). In addition to a great selection of wines, they have an extensive beer and bourbon list. No food, though, so don;t plan on making a meal there.

In addition, I strongly suggest you check out Niche (which just moved to a close suburb called Clayton), or any of Girard Craft's other projects. Niche is pricey, but EXCELLENT.

If you give me some guidelines, I'll ping my brother for other thoughts...

http://www.nichestlouis.com/
http://www.33wine.com/
There are things you do because they feel right & they make no sense & they make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.
                                               - Brian Andreas

Offline Corky

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
I used to work for MackyD's Air Appliance Factory, therefore I have made many trips to St. Louis. The highlight of most trips was to dine at Tony's (downtown). Italian and old school. Very good and impressive. Enjoy your trip. STL is one of the best kept secrets around. Excellent food and wonderful people. Not only that, if you like baseball, going to a game in STL is an absolute treat compared to attending a Braves game. STL has the most knowledgeable and finest fans anywhere. I don't mean to sound like a shill for STL, but it is a great city that this native Atlantan enjoys visiting.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:19:41 AM »
we'll be arriving in St. Louis around 10 am on a saturday morning. we'll be free until 6:30 or so when we have to be in Creve Coeur where we'll be spending the night. the next morning we have to be downtown at Scottrade Center where we'll be til around 11:00 and then we're free until our flight leaves at 5:00. we were thinking Pappy's Smokehouse for lunch on Sunday.....any other fun things to do downtown besides the Arch?

Offline MadBob

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »
Family style BBQ...

www.theshavedduck.com/

Or so I have heard. Should be in St. Louis in April myself...
"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress"
Ronald Reagan

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.