Author Topic: Myrtle Beach  (Read 1202 times)

Offline mikeamor

• Email
Myrtle Beach
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »
We're off to Myrtle Beach for 3 days so the other half can attend his performance.
Any suggestions for lunch/dinner off the beaten paths?
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Girly

Re: Myrtle Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »
Myrtle Beach....Georgia? Or did you misplace the post? ;)

I have friends living in Myrtle Beach, SC. I'll see if I can dig up some good food places.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:00:47 PM »
We did find one jewel during our stay.   Mr. Fish .
It's a little hole in the wall in a short strip mall with amazing fresh fish and seafood selections.
They have a small attached fish market.
Their food ranges from basic grilled/fried/blackened to some pretty interesting specials the chef concocts nightly.
The portions are generous and prices very reasonable.
Frankly, I had forgotten how good fish and seafood can be.
Their specials, while interesting and creative, take a second seat to the basic fresh fish and seafood preparations.
Service is really good.  The first time we went here, the dog started freaking out in the hotel room and partner had to go pick him up.  The restaurant was very pleasantly accommodating in holding up his order until he could get back.

Some of the items we had:
Fried oysters: Were lightly breaded succulent bites of buttery flesh with a just a hint of the ocean.
Blackened Grouper on a bed of fried black eyed pea hash: Perfectly cooked grouper.  Interesting hash.
Fried Green Tomato App: Fried green tomatoes layered with fried shrimp and drizzled with a spicy mayo sauce.  Almost a meal in itself with 6 layers.  Perfectly fried tomatoes and shrimp were moist and tender.
Oyster stew: Aromatic, somewhat Italianate broth with a lot of fresh oysters.  Very good but oysters were a little gritty.
Fried Haddock: Lightly breaded, fresh, not greasy, perfectly cooked.
Blackened mahi over shrimp & cheese grits, topped with hollandaise: Again, perfectly prepared fish.  Grits that were cheesy and tender without a huge amount of butter and cream.  Several huge, succulent grilled shrimp.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:25:41 PM by mikeamor »
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
A review of Myrtle Beach and some pictures (they are already on Facebook) coming in the next few days. 

Lets start with pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153730868788829&set=a.10153730867343829.1073741965.646208828&type=3&theater

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:56:12 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:56:58 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »

We just got back for a too short visit to MB..   It was chilly and windy, there was a food-truck event with 35 food trucks, and we found two hidden jewels. 

The one place (if the same chef is there) is "The Chemist".   You can find it in this day and time.  a bit of a gastropub but really good food..

The other place is a breakfast-brunch place called "Croissants Bistro and Bakery"  Look it up, go and taste a REAL non-tourist bakery that does good Eggs Benedicts and has a Bloody Mary bar...