Author Topic: Smoked turkey  (Read 3890 times)

Offline outtolunchatty

Smoked turkey
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:22:41 AM »
Hi again to all and i need some  help....kiddies are coming in for thanksgiving and they prefer smoked turkey. I have always ordered one from fox brothers, but since they started doing it 5 years or so ago their turkeys seemed to have changed (probably becaues of volume, i think they've gone from 50 to about 175 turkeys !) until last years turkey was hardly smoked but covered in rub, so thick it was inedible and i just threw it out without eating any of it. I love the brothers and their food, but anyone have any experience around town with smoked turkeys? thanks........

Offline Barnum

Re: Smoked turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:51:14 AM »
Last 2-3 years we've gotten smoked turkeys and hams from community Q.

I think the turkeys are good, the hams are fantastic.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:21 AM »
Not sure about local sources, but I've ordered form Greenberg's and been pleased.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
Last 2-3 years we've gotten smoked turkeys and hams from community Q.

I think the turkeys are good, the hams are fantastic.

Atty, assuming you still leave out this way, keep in mind that GCBBQ has the same DNA as CQ. I saw them advertise some Thanksgiving plans.
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »

It's not turkeys, but Pine Street Market is taking orders on their holiday smoked hams.

Pine Street Market
November 7
We are proud to announce our new & improved Cider Brined Smoked Holiday Hams! Still 100% all-natural, but now more smokey and full roasted! Pre-orders start today.

You can pre-order in the shop, call us (404) 296-9672, or e-mail info@pinestreetmarket.com

http://instagram.com/p/R_IBEXj6zT/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:30:01 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »
Here's another option, from Jim Stacy, if you haven't already made up your mind.

http://scoutmob.com/atlanta/scoutfinds/4637?mod_place=r1c2

-Greg

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:53:33 AM »
well, based on Barnum's recommendation I picked  up a smoked turkey today from community Q. (yes today, thanksgiving was pickup day so birds stay hot and fresh !)....anyway, turkey was the best i have ever eaten, perfectly cooked, smoked and seasoned. We always get a smoked turkey and roast a butterball, but no more. From now on, two smoked turkeys from community Q for us !!!!! Thank you Barnum and Community Q!!!!!!!

Offline Barnum

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
well, based on Barnum's recommendation I picked  up a smoked turkey today from community Q. (yes today, thanksgiving was pickup day so birds stay hot and fresh !)....anyway, turkey was the best i have ever eaten, perfectly cooked, smoked and seasoned. We always get a smoked turkey and roast a butterball, but no more. From now on, two smoked turkeys from community Q for us !!!!! Thank you Barnum and Community Q!!!!!!!

Really glad to hear it.  I always make recommendations then dread hearing that someone had a bad experience, even if it was just once-in-a-million bad luck.  We had another smoked ham (picked up cold on Wednesday afternoon and heated according to their instructions resulting on another fantastic holiday meal once we added our own sides).  Dave R. continues to do a great job here and, I suspect, at least part of it is due to how often I see him in the kitchen (as I did Wednesday).

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 07:25:10 PM »
We enjoyed our smoked turkey from the fellow S&D doppleganger GCBBQ. Of course, we also especially liked the ultimate southern vegetable mac and cheese from them. For convenience purposes, we got pies there. Good, but the Pie Hole just set the bar way too high.
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Barnum

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
We enjoyed our smoked turkey from the fellow S&D doppleganger GCBBQ. Of course, we also especially liked the ultimate southern vegetable mac and cheese from them. For convenience purposes, we got pies there. Good, but the Pie Hole just set the bar way too high.

I agree, everyone from the S&D days seems to be doing well.  There were rumors of a distant cousin-like relationship to one of the guys starting Buckhead BBQ in Smyrna, but it sounds like he left too early to prove himself and the 'que there has been disappointing at best.

Did I hear some rumor that the Pie Hole changed hands?  I haven't been there for awhile but agree they're some of the best pie's I've found in town.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

I agree, everyone from the S&D days seems to be doing well.  There were rumors of a distant cousin-like relationship to one of the guys starting Buckhead BBQ in Smyrna, but it sounds like he left too early to prove himself and the 'que there has been disappointing at best.

Did I hear some rumor that the Pie Hole changed hands?  I haven't been there for awhile but agree they're some of the best pie's I've found in town.

Pie Hole was sold, but new chick seems to be doing well.

I think Minerva has the exact family tree, but I believe both CQ an GCBBQ have similar stories. S&D is like the All in the Family of barbecue.

S&D broke up, but split their two stores. Each hired a chef and/or GM as right-hand men. One of the right-hand men started CQ, another GCBBQ.

Have been to S&D, CQ, GCBBQ and had Dave Poe's at Taste of Mayretta. Have not yet been to Sam's #1. But it seems they all stick very close to the S&D formula, which is smart.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »

Pie Hole was sold, but new chick seems to be doing well.

I think Minerva has the exact family tree, but I believe both CQ an GCBBQ have similar stories. S&D is like the All in the Family of barbecue.

S&D broke up, but split their two stores. Each hired a chef and/or GM as right-hand men. One of the right-hand men started CQ, another GCBBQ.

Have been to S&D, CQ, GCBBQ and had Dave Poe's at Taste of Mayretta. Have not yet been to Sam's #1. But it seems they all stick very close to the S&D formula, which is smart.

The absolute BEST ribs I have ever eaten away from my house and away from BBQ competitions is at BBQ1, compared to some they are a religious experience.

Competition ribs (if you can get 'em) are the best.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »

Really glad to hear it.  I always make recommendations then dread hearing that someone had a bad experience, even if it was just once-in-a-million bad luck.  We had another smoked ham (picked up cold on Wednesday afternoon and heated according to their instructions resulting on another fantastic holiday meal once we added our own sides).  Dave R. continues to do a great job here and, I suspect, at least part of it is due to how often I see him in the kitchen (as I did Wednesday).

Does Community Q do the smoked turkeys and hams all of the time, or only for the holidays?

Offline Barnum

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »

Does Community Q do the smoked turkeys and hams all of the time, or only for the holidays?

Only holidays that I know about.

Offline AtlFoodFan

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
I just called Community Q to order a smoked ham for a Christmas get-together this Saturday, and they said they need at least 7 days notice to fill an order.  Very disappointing -- I was really looking forward to trying this ham.  Can anyone recommend another place that makes comparable smoked hams?  TIA.