Author Topic: Oak Street Cafe  (Read 3991 times)

Offline uOTPia Dweller

Oak Street Cafe
« on: December 01, 2009, 06:10:41 PM »
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline grumpypickle

• Email
Re: Oak Street Cafe
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
I have had the pizza there a few times and it is really good, much better than anything in town including Diesel. Think a thinner, very crispy crust Sicilian style (I know it is contradictory, work with me here). He changes up the toppings regularly depending on what is fresh and it is actually pretty cheap (around $13 for a pie that easily feeds 3-4). One note, he makes a limited amount of dough on pizza night (wednesday) and when it is gone it is gone so regulars are in the practice of calling ahead to reserve pies.

Offline Roxro

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »
Love the heirloom tomato salad and the mac and cheese!

I would never have gone here if it wasn't for 285 Foodies and that would have been a real shame. One of Roswell's best.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »
I wish they had the restaurant closer to the Canton Street scene so they would be more visible.  With that said, the fact that they have consistently put out great food for a few years now is testament to the fact that they are doing the right thing no matter where they are located.

Offline grumpypickle

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »
I actually like the fact that they are not closer; keeps the not terribly discriminatory Canton Street crowd at bay.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »
I actually like the fact that they are not closer; keeps the not terribly discriminatory Canton Street crowd at bay.

It's a credit how Chef always, always packs them in hidden off the beaten path. I would have thought that was a horrible choice for a location, but that's why I'm a grubber not a location picker outer.

Between his burgers, balls, fries, mac n' cheese and his pizza that I MUST try ASAP, it's a lot of work keeping my girlish figure.
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Milt

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
Our four went for dinner this evening.  We had only had lunch at Oak Street Cafe in the past.  My daughter's chicken sandwich was good, but nothing great.  The accompanying fries were very good - with or without ketchup.  My wife had mac & cheese along with a salad and was quite pleased.  Son had smoked pork chops, green beans, and mashed sweet potatoes which he enjoyed immensely.  My choice of short ribs and risotto was judged to be the best of all the very good choices we made.  It was far beyond what I was expecting.  The meat was moist, flavorful, tender, lean...  The risotto with tomatoes was quite good.  The pork chop meal seemed to be much more food than the short rib dish, but I can't complain.  My choice was a very pleasant surprise.  Much better than I anticipated.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:23:01 PM by Milt »

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:56:33 AM »
Finally made it for lunch to the Oak Street Cafe after dropping wifey's car off for service......i had the burger, which was excellent, as well as the tomato basil soup, which was also excellent as it tasted just like the tomato soup I make, and i believe uses the same ingredients as mine as they were making a new batch when I was there...in fact, at the price point they charge and all the work it takes, I'm better off going there rather than cooking it.....wifey had the chix salad sammy, and the same soup, all excellent....hats off to Cal (again) on his original find and touting of this one....thumbs way up....!!!!!

Offline Porky Linkster

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
Son and I stopped by for lunch today and both ordered the burger and fries.  His was decked out with cheddar, bacon, grilled onions, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and mayo, while mine was minimalist with cheddar, roasted red peppers and ketchup. The burgers could have been excellent were they not cooked well past the requested medium (not even a hint of pink), most likely sacrificing some juiciness in the process.  The flavor was fine, but we were a bit disappointed in the overcooking.  We'll try "medium rare" next time and see.

We agreed the fries were top-notch, salted just right and perfect exterior crispiness/interior fluffiness.  Definitely worth a trip back.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »
If I'm in a restaurant that is reputed for having good burgers, I have no problem with sending an overcooked burger back to the kitchen. It may not be a huge splurge financially, but calorically, a burger is a treat that I only order once in a while, so I'm not eating overcooked meat if I can have it any way I want it.

If the kitchen decides to send the next one out bleeding like a stuck pig as an act of revenge, I'm OK with that.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Porky Linkster

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »
Agreed Foodgeek, but my son was working today and couldn't wait another 15-20 minutes for a second effort.  With the luxury of more time, I'd have done exactly as you suggest.  

Son didn't make an issue out of it (hey, Dad was paying), saying that so many places insist on cooking burgers well done, it wasn't surprising.  Too bad - he's a true burger aficionado and this was his first visit. 

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:11:35 PM by Porky Linkster »

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
That's understandable. I know what it's like to need to get back to work. Maybe next time will be better.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Northside Food

• Northside Food
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »
We had brunch there today with my family. My husband ordered the burger and his was perfectly medium. Oh and he thanks everyone here for recommending the burger and fries to him.  They were just as good as promised.
Northside Food- http://northsidefood.blogspot.com/

Updated 06-11-14

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
After years of saying I would try it, convinced a work mate to give it a go a couple weeks ago.  So good, we went back again yesterday.  The burger is top notch.  It wasn't the thin wimpy patties that I see so often at 5 guys, scratch, stax, etc.  They were nice thick patties cooked perfectly medium.  No idea what type of buns they were but they held up just fine to my cheese mushrooms and onions.  As for the fries, I was hyped up by all the talk and was not disappointed.  Easily the best fries I've had in as long as I can remember.  It's a couple bucks more (about $11.50 iirc for burger, fries, water and tip) but for me really worth it if I'm looking for a great burger and fries.. really no contest.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
Rolls are Atlanta Bread Garden. Whew, glad to hear about fries. Only because I've been cutting back on eating out, while the options keep growing, it's been about six weeks since we've been. But for the first time ever, I was disappointed in the fries and did bring it to their attention. They claimed it was a bad season of potatoes. I had too many good meals to doubt them and was confident it was an aberration because, yes every trip previous was purty much the best traditional fries I've ever had.