Author Topic: Meat and Threes  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Melomom

• About Face
Meat and Threes
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
Wasn't there a thread like this on the old board?  Thought this might be a better place to have my particular question.  Going to a movie tonight at the Tara with my sweetie and since he has never been to the Colonnade we decided to eat there first.  I haven't been in quite a few years.  Anyone with recent experience?  I like it as much for the scene as the food.

I'd be interested in people listing their favorite "regular" meat and threes too.

Offline MoButter

Re: Meat and Threes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
Wasn't there a thread like this on the old board?  Thought this might be a better place to have my particular question.  Going to a movie tonight at the Tara with my sweetie and since he has never been to the Colonnade we decided to eat there first.  I haven't been in quite a few years.  Anyone with recent experience?  I like it as much for the scene as the food.

I'd be interested in people listing their favorite "regular" meat and threes too.

We live and work close to the Colonnade so we make it there at least once a month. I think that their fried shrimp are the best anywhere. I really like their fried chicken too. They don't have the crowds like they used to and it's too bad because it is as good as ever. Not a bad place for a cocktail and people watching either.

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
And they now take credit cards.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
Dinner at The Colonnade with Beer Beginner on Saturday.  I am almost positive the sign on the door still said cash only - we were prepared to pay cash so we were set either way.  Dining room was almost full at 6 pm but we got one of the last tables.  Clearly most of the diners were regulars, as the waiter noted he did not know us as he asked if we had questions.  Service is efficient and friendly.  Based on previous visits I was pretty sure I wanted the fried shrimp, which were just as good as I remembered.  I had rice and gravy and lima beans.  BB had the fried chicken and, I think, the fried okra and a spinach salad.  I had a bite of the chicken and I thought it was really good.  Portions are very generous, plus you get a basket of delicious yeast rolls and corn muffins to boot.

One of the advantages of this place over a cafeteria is the ability to have a drink with your dinner.  We had been to H. Harper Station a little while back and were a little overwhelmed by the lengthy cocktail list (their drinks are mightly tasty, though).  No cocktail list at The Colonnade, so we went old-school with a Seabreeze for me and an Old Fashioned for BB.  They do NOT skimp on the alcohol.

After all that we were too full for dessert.  While it certainly is not fancy, the food is good and well-priced.  I will have to make a trip back soon.

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:08 AM »
I'm very glad to hear this. several years ago, maybe 7 or 8 we went to the Colonnade which has been a favorite of my whole family for as long as I can remember. it was quite obvious that the menu had changed and someone mentioned that they had a new executive chef. the food was not up to the quality that we had come to expect. sounds like a return visit may be in order.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
Dinner at The Colonnade last night as a farewell dinner for my visiting mom. I was very disappointed. Several folks, including me, had the fried chicken. It was just ok, with the breast pieces sort of dried out. The thigh (my favorite piece) had very little meat on it. Sides at the table included collards, whipped potatoes, and mac and cheese. Salads were wedge, ceasar and house. The whipped potatoes were gelatinous and quickly solidified into an unappealing mass. Gravy developed a thick skin almost immediately. Blue cheese flavor in the blue cheese dressing not noticible. But the worst was my poor mom's chopped steak. It was grey with a few char marks, very hard, dry, salty, and cooked well past the requested "medium". I was embarassed to have suggested going there.

It was full on a Wednesday night, so not sure what is going on other than reputation, or possibly our entire table of six got unlucky.

One positive - the yeast rolls were absolutely delicious! Just as good as I remembered.

Offline Corky

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:39:48 AM »
At least you were served. We went to Colonnade last night after a photo shoot at AtlBotGdns. Arrived around 8PM, left at 8:30P after no acknowledgment we were even sitting there. Resto was about 60% full, patrons seated around us. Made a comment to the person who seated us on our way out. He just said "Sorry". Made no effort to get us to stay. Well, I know I will make no effort to ever return.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.
Charles Kuralt