Author Topic: La Fourchette  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Hazelnut

La Fourchette
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:17 AM »
La Fourchette is the new "Bistro/Lounge" located at 3133 Piedmont Road.  I think it opened this week.  Calling it a "lounge" probably isn't a great word choice because the restaurant is really pretty and deceptively so from the outside.  I think this space used to be Agnes and Muriels or just sitting empty for awhile.  According to our waiter, the tables, chairs, etc. all came from Joel, as well as the executive chef (Jeffrey Wall) and the wine picked out by Perrine, Joel's former sommelier. 

We had a great experience for a just-opened restaurant.  All of our food was well-executed and incredibly delicious.  Two at the table had Grilled Loup de Mer with leeks, crispy fingerlings, mussels and a saffron emulsion.  It was perfect.  I had a beautiful endive salad with watercress, candied Georgia pecans, local chevre with a cider vinagrette.  Once I noticed the black truffle french fries listed on the sides, that was all I could think about.  It turned into my entree and it didn't disappoint.  Another in our party had slow cooked salmon on top of french beans, organic farro and a mushroom vinaigrette.  It too was delicious.  I thought the menu items were reasonably priced from $17-27. 

The wine list looked nice, but we had already come from a champagne reception and didn't need to imbibe any more than we already had. 

The service was great, but we were one of only three tables in the restaurant at 830p so I would have expected nothing less.  They seemed very eager to please and gave us two delicious desserts on the house -a Tunisian Beignet and a cannoli filled with coffee cream. 

I would love to see this restaurant survive because I can walk to it from my home.  Well - I can walk to a lot of restaurants from here, but this one is the closest...  We will definitely be back and take our friends. 

Oh, the website is www.lafourchetteatlanta.com

Offline Franklin Smith

• Email
Re: La Fourchette
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:55:58 AM »
Sounds very tasty - esp. the black truffle fries. 

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:42 AM »
Nice review - makes me want to try it out. Great news about Perrine.

I'll have to Goggle map it though, I can't really imagine where it is.

They could use some editing help with their homepage but the food looks nice.

Offline Hazelnut

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
It is on the right hand side right next to Wolf Camera and right before you get to the shopping center that has the Container Store and Tuesday morning.  Almost to Peachtree.  The building was the most non-descript glass front building you would find in any shopping center until they occupied it and now you can't miss it - white building with black awning and name in large letters. 

LizR - I agree about their website - the incredibly annoying music had me jumping for the volume control on the computer speakers.  Interestingly enough - they were playing a little loudly Josh Groban in the restaurant which did NOT bother me because I like Josh Groban music, but it might annoy other patrons though. 

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
First visit was excellent.  Truffle fries were darn good and the guy makes some killer mashed potatoes.  Smoked trout was very nice too.
Chicken a la Romano and grilled pork loin were good.  Not a "great" restaurant, but a nice addition to the neighborhood with some promise. We'll see.

Offline totm

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
Hit La Fourchette last night for V and my 15 year first date anniversary a night early.  Dueces are real small and tables are very close together.  We were involved in three conversations throughout much of the evening.  From the other two conversations (not the one between the 2 of us at our table) it can be noted that La Fourchette has become quite the neighborhood regular destination.  Both other parties have been to La Fourchette multiple times in the same week.  Looking around the room it also appeared that there was a lot of Buckhead old money there.

Apparently the menu doesn't change much because we enjoyed some the same things as Hazelnut had last October.  We started with the endive salad, watercress, candied pecans, chevre, and cider vinagrette.  Neither one of us are big fans of candied nuts but you had to include some of the candied pecans in your bite or it was too bitter.  We also started with the smoked trout tart w/arugula which had great flavor but the tart just didn't hold up.  V really wanted the Foie Gras au Torchon, roasted mango puree, brioche as her first course but it sells out very quickly and was not available.

I had the grilled Loup de Mer, braised leeks, crispy fingerlings, mussels, saffron emulsion.  Delicious dish but a mess on the plate.  V settled for the steamed mussels which had a nice citrus essence to the broth.

I remember Kessler raving about the Profiteroles so we had to try them.  I hate to say it but they were the only real disappointment (besides the closeness/size of the tables) of the evening.  The filling and chocolate topping were nice but the pastry was TOUGH.

I would definitely go back for a glass of wine and the foie gras at the bar.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
Happy Anniversary, totm!
Food is my favorite.

Offline totm

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:19 AM »
We've been to La Fourchette recently with Groupons in hand.  Several months ago the place was packed.  Last night it was empty.  The owner told us he is changing the concept and will be closed at the end of the month for renovations.  It is going to open up under a new name and serve tapas.  Hopefully two of the tapas will include the Cugini annegato and the Roasted eggplant involtini.  Both of which seemed more Italian than French.  The seafood in the Cugini annegato was extremely tender and cooked just to the point of barely being done.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon