Author Topic: Jim 'N Nicks BBQ - Smyrna  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Jim 'N Nicks BBQ - Smyrna
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
Jim 'N Nicks BBQ
4574 South Cobb Drive
Smyrna
(678) 556-0011

I've seen this place repeatedly, but always figured it was another chain BBQ a-la Sonny's. Then i saw them at the Atlanta Food and Wine and read about their interest in local farmer pork etc.etc. So, we picked up BBQ yesterday and i'm flummoxed as to why it remains undiscussed here!

We had pulled pork, spare ribs, hot links, beans, collards, cinnamon apples, and cabbage (mistakenly given instead of Mac and cheese).

Everything was outstanding. The pulled pork was very moist, and nicely smoked. Not much bark though. the ribs had great flavor, super tenderness (but not too tender/mushy). The sausage hot longs were delicious. Tiny, barely spicy, nice fennel flavor and juicy.
All the sides were also fantastic. The baked beans were sweet but not too sweet with pieces of pork in them. The collards were cooked but not to oblivion mush, the cinnamon apples were a little too sweet for me, and the cabbage was good as well.  I'm told the mac and cheese is GREAT too.

They claim to make EVERYTHING in house, down to the crust on their pies. Yesterday's pies were chocolate, lemon ice box and coconut cream. We didn't try any because the wife had already made cupcakes. Will try next time.

Oh, their "famous" cheese biscuits are more like cheesy sweet corn muffins, and they suck (at least my wife and I think so, sister in law liked them). They're chewy and taste like sweet corn bread which has had cheese added. Then again i don't like sweet corn bread.

I'm really still astounded that this really good BBQ remained undiscussed in the BBQ field. This is up there with Fox Bros and other places which are much hyped.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Jim 'N Nicks BBQ - Smyrna
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
Jim 'N Nicks BBQ
4574 South Cobb Drive
Smyrna
(678) 556-0011

I've seen this place repeatedly, but always figured it was another chain BBQ a-la Sonny's. Then i saw them at the Atlanta Food and Wine and read about their interest in local farmer pork etc.etc. So, we picked up BBQ yesterday and i'm flummoxed as to why it remains undiscussed here!

We had pulled pork, spare ribs, hot links, beans, collards, cinnamon apples, and cabbage (mistakenly given instead of Mac and cheese).

Everything was outstanding. The pulled pork was very moist, and nicely smoked. Not much bark though. the ribs had great flavor, super tenderness (but not too tender/mushy). The sausage hot longs were delicious. Tiny, barely spicy, nice fennel flavor and juicy.
All the sides were also fantastic. The baked beans were sweet but not too sweet with pieces of pork in them. The collards were cooked but not to oblivion mush, the cinnamon apples were a little too sweet for me, and the cabbage was good as well.  I'm told the mac and cheese is GREAT too.

They claim to make EVERYTHING in house, down to the crust on their pies. Yesterday's pies were chocolate, lemon ice box and coconut cream. We didn't try any because the wife had already made cupcakes. Will try next time.

Oh, their "famous" cheese biscuits are more like cheesy sweet corn muffins, and they suck (at least my wife and I think so, sister in law liked them). They're chewy and taste like sweet corn bread which has had cheese added. Then again i don't like sweet corn bread.

I'm really still astounded that this really good BBQ remained undiscussed in the BBQ field. This is up there with Fox Bros and other places which are much hyped.

J & N's is one of the places that it really depends on the operator of the location to be solid.  I have had dreadful lunches and dinners at J & N's both here and in Alabama.  I'm happy for you that particular owner/operator is doing BBQ some justice. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »

J & N's is one of the places that it really depends on the operator of the location to be solid.  I have had dreadful lunches and dinners at J & N's both here and in Alabama.  I'm happy for you that particular owner/operator is doing BBQ some justice. 

Yup, i can see that...it's a franchise, which is why i had my concerns before trying it. I'll def. go back to see if it's consistent

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
Mr. Sadle and I have been there several times since it's in our 'hood. We have always liked it, and it's much better than some of the local, nonchain places.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »
I had lunch at the one in Bluffton halfway between Beaufort and Hilton Head and I thought the meat had absolutely no flavor. Don't know how they managed that, I did like a couple of their sauces though.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
We've eaten at the location at I-85 and Old Peachtree Road in Suwanee quite a few times.  I may not put them equal with Fox Bros. or Community Q and others, but we've never been disappointed with their food.  (Although the free corn muffins could use a bit less sugar.)  Their sides are particularly good, and they have a good variety of meats.  And pie.  Their pies are probably the best things they have.  Like Ted's Montana Grill, in my opinion, they show that it's possible to be a chain and still be a worthwhile restaurant with good food.

-Greg

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:19:03 PM »
Had some pulled pork, collards and mac and cheese. All great tonight.

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Jim 'N Nicks BBQ - Conyers
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:20:04 PM »

Deanne and I went to a Christmas pageant at a Church in Conyers and stopped at the Jim 'N Nicks BBQ over there, I think on GA-20 for dinner.  The service was really good the beer (a 420 on draft) was tasty, and the food was completely acceptable. 

I had the spares and brisket with Cole Slaw and Baked beans.  My spares were a bit overcooked but for restaurant ribs pretty dern good, with a nice smoke ring and not the least bit dried out, the brisket smoked then steamed was more like corned beef in some ways than good slow & low cooked brisket.  My slaw appeared to be house made and very nice, the baked beans were a tad vinegary for my taste but they were not over sweetened like they are at so many places.  I ate all of my slaw and most of my beans, so I didn't hate 'em.  8)

Deanne had the pulled pork plate, she said she is spoiled living with me but her pulled pork (while still in chunks and not pulled) was pretty tasty with no bark and less smoke than she would have liked.  She got the collards and we both agreed that it was late in the evening and these were cooked pretty old-school Southern style (meaning pretty soft), she also got the mac-n-cheese and we agreed that it was good.  Not Community Q good but good.

I would go there again and just order the ribs if I needed a rib fix out this way, it is a nice clean place with a good following.  Not BBQ competition grade but a good dinner tonight.   I am spoiled.

http://www.jimnnicks.com/locations/conyers/

2275 Highway 20 SE, Conyers ยท (770) 785-4453

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:36:36 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Jim 'N Nicks BBQ - Smyrna and others
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »

After a long day of running doing many things and my wife at a company function B.J. Supereater and I again were lured to the Covington location and the meal was really good.   The ribs were a bit too salty for me, but the pound portion sure filled me up with their baked beans (good to okay) and their potato salad (I'll pass on it next time).  B.J. had the 2 pound portion of spares and we both remarked how well they were done, un- sauced and plated with squeeze bottles of sauce on the table.  Neither he nor I touched the sauce, the ribs were very well done, meaty a bit fatty and cooked chine-on so we had to fight a bit with that edge of a few of our rib pieces.  I barely could eat all of my portion and B.J. woofed his with no problem, his collards were good, his mac-n-cheese was unsteller but good, and though I tasted one of the cheese muffins, I left 3 for him.   I recognized the owner/manager there expediting the service at 6pm from before, he has it dialed in (at least on spare-ribs). 

Some of the franchises are far and away better than others, this one is a good one.    On Ga 20 in Covington.