Author Topic: Gunshow  (Read 587 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Gunshow
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »

This is a place holder for an upcoming review..
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline mikeamor

• Email
Re: Gunshow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:03:26 AM »
Went here for the second time this past Saturday for our anniversary.
On our first visit a year ago, we spied Kevin watching over the kitchen and were even served one of our dishes which had been prepared by him.  This time, we didn't expect to see him as his beer garden "Communion" was opening the same day.
All of the food served was amazing.  We had one of just about every dish offered that evening.  It wouldn't do much good to go into detail about the individual dishes as they change weekly.  I will note that the oysters from South Carolina were incredibly fresh, with no hint of aging.  Their cocktail service was on point making sure that you were kept well armed with mixed drinks/beer/wine as your meal progressed.  They have some very good and original mixed drinks on their menu that I would recommend exploring if you are so inclined.
The only issue we had with the whole experience was the pacing of the meal.  As you may be aware, at Gunshow the chefs prepare and deliver the individual dishes to you, kind of Dim Sum style.  Last might they were running way too fast and at times we had two or three dishes waiting while we were finishing another.  They seemed to want to turn the table right away and that feeling of being rushed is not what I would expect for the level of food/service/price here.  Otherwise it was a great meal and I can't wait for the next excuse to go back!

Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »
Went here for the second time this past Saturday for our anniversary.
On our first visit a year ago, we spied Kevin watching over the kitchen and were even served one of our dishes which had been prepared by him.  This time, we didn't expect to see him as his beer garden "Communion" was opening the same day.
All of the food served was amazing.  We had one of just about every dish offered that evening.  It wouldn't do much good to go into detail about the individual dishes as they change weekly.  I will note that the oysters from South Carolina were incredibly fresh, with no hint of aging.  Their cocktail service was on point making sure that you were kept well armed with mixed drinks/beer/wine as your meal progressed.  They have some very good and original mixed drinks on their menu that I would recommend exploring if you are so inclined.
The only issue we had with the whole experience was the pacing of the meal.  As you may be aware, at Gunshow the chefs prepare and deliver the individual dishes to you, kind of Dim Sum style.  Last might they were running way too fast and at times we had two or three dishes waiting while we were finishing another.  They seemed to want to turn the table right away and that feeling of being rushed is not what I would expect for the level of food/service/price here.  Otherwise it was a great meal and I can't wait for the next excuse to go back!

We are going on Thursday, were Finch Creek Farms "flowers" served to you, and how ?    We also delivered the "first ever" baby parsnips, did you get any of those ?   I think they got mustard flowers, cilantro flowers and arugula flowers last Thursday.   

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 04:48:19 AM »
GG - There were s few small flowers gracing a couple of plates.  I did not know what they were at the time.  I think  one dish may have had some small pieces of baby parsnip but not 100% on that at this point.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:00:44 AM by mikeamor »
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
GG - There were s few small flowers gracing a couple of plates.  I did not know what they were at the time.  I think  one dish may have had some small pieces of baby parsnip but not 100% on that at this point.

We had a wonderful ( but loud ) dinner there last eve.    Here are the pictures and some commentary that I did for Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/gadgetgeekatl/media_set?set=a.10154148178848829.1073741979.646208828&type=3

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
We were going to try Umi Sushi this coming Friday but I think we will stay in the hood and head to Gunshow instead. Anybody been recently?

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »

We go fairly often, keep our name on the reservation list.  Sometimes without that it is not possible to get in..    I hope you did and that Joey and his gang of chefs did well for you..

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »
Wish this place was closer and reservations not so hard to get.
I cannot say how much I love this place.
It is so much fun!
The seasonal menus are always exciting and the food stellar.
We usually get one of everything on the menu plus whatever off-menu special they have that night.
I don't usually order drinks off the special drink menu but here, they are always interesting and match really well with the food (they're potent too).
Not cheap but definitely one of the few places worth the higher price.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »
Wish this place was closer and reservations not so hard to get.
I cannot say how much I love this place.
It is so much fun!
The seasonal menus are always exciting and the food stellar.
We usually get one of everything on the menu plus whatever off-menu special they have that night.
I don't usually order drinks off the special drink menu but here, they are always interesting and match really well with the food (they're potent too).
Not cheap but definitely one of the few places worth the higher price.

We have been almost a dozen times, and each time it gets better.  We too really like this place as does anyone that we have taken there. The Hired Guns series that they do is spectacular with MANY off the menu items and all driven by local products/produce that they are VERY fussy about.   Joey Ward has become a friend that will do "special" things for special occasions there.  Kevin and I go way, way back but except for Hired Guns we don't see him there.  We are blessed to have a place like Gunshow in our driving distance.