Author Topic: Gio's Chicken Amalfitano  (Read 758 times)

Offline Lorenzo

Gio's Chicken Amalfitano
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
This is a new take-out chicken venture by the Antico people, right next door.  You can get a half chicken or whole chicken in any of several preparations.  They also have several pasta offerings.  There are tables for eating there, but we got it to go, since we live nearby.

We chose the Diavola chicken, which featured calabrian peppers, and also ordered some "pasta al forno."  The first thing we noticed was that both the pasta and chicken came in large, sturdy plastic containers--not very environmentally friendly, it seemed to us.  We'll try to re-purpose them.  The chicken was great--flavorful and moist, and I love those peppers.  But at $16 for half a chicken, I guess I am just one of those people Atlanta chefs complain about who balk at paying the price for quality ingredients.  A $6 Costco rotisserie chicken is pretty tasty if I overlook what chemicals they might inject it with.  The pasta al forno was penne, with San Marzano marinara and no doubt equally pedigreed ricotta and scamorza.  It, too, was delicious (and included a nicely Italian-American meatball and mounds more cheese than I suspect one gets in Italy).  It was plenty of food for the two of us.  There's no way I can make a sauce (or a meatball) that nice, even if I load it up with as much olive oil as they do.  But penne and a meatball for $13?  Again, I guess I'm just a cretin.  I wasn't surprised by the prices, just dismayed.  I was expecting exactly this--the Antico of take-out chicken.

www.gioschicken.com

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Gio's Chicken Amalfitano
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
That seems crazy to me too, in terms of cost. I can MAYBE see if there is an investment in some kind of specialized cooking equipment like a pizza oven, but that pasta and meatball price is crazy, especially for that kind of venue. Actually, I do think that you could make a meatball that is as good or better at home. And boiling pasta is boiling pasta.

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
I have been twice and had the Diavola and Lemon.  Loved both.  Great chicken but expensive.  Good addition but not a value experience.

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
I have been twice and had the Diavola and Lemon.  Loved both.  Great chicken but expensive.  Good addition but not a value experience.

+1 Been twice for takeout. Got lemon, cacciatore, and parmesan. Like MN saith, great chicken, but even the more economically friendly family packs (only for take-out) stretched the limit price wise. Turns out it's Antico and his gelato/panino cafe coming to Avalon, but not Gio. Wish it were this as it would fill more of a void and at $40 for a family pack, I'd suck it up once every now and then for some damn good chix.   
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline biskuit

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
OK, y'all - I want some folks to try this home hack version of the Gio's lemon chicken recipe, let us know how it turns out: recipe at http://clatl.com/atlanta/recreating-an-atlanta-restaurant-meal-at-home/Content?oid=9498655&showFullText=true