Author Topic: General Muir - Emory Point  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Barnum

General Muir - Emory Point
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
Okay, they've been open less than a week, and I went for the 2nd time this morning and I'm impressed.  Some of the original press seemed to imply a "real Deli"... but that's not really what they're aiming for (both talking to the people there, as well as looking and eating off the menu).  Seems to be fair to call it more of a modern traditional deli inspired restaurant. 

Ultimately, I think this is going to be the biggest draw at Emory Point (everything except a BurgerFi and a Tin Lizzy's have opened at this point).  Nice atmosphere and my 2 trips have been very enjoyable.  First time was a bagel with cream cheese, nova, cucumber, avocado, grapefruit, and dill.  This morning their poached eggs & grits (with a mushroom Madeira sauce).

Anybody else try it yet?

http://www.thegeneralmuir.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheGeneralMuir
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:41:50 AM by Barnum »

Offline rwcohen

• So many restaurants, so little time...
    • Email
Re: General Muir - Emory Point
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »
I'll be there for lunch tomorrow........
A divorce is like an amputation: you survive it, but there's less of you.
Margaret Atwood

Schizophrenia beats dining alone.
Oscar Levant

A Cannibal is a person who walks into a restaurant and orders a waiter.
Morey Amsterdam

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:35:14 AM »
First decent pastrami sandwich I've had in Atlanta since the early 90's.  Great addition to Emory area.  Love it.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
I finally tried the General Muir for brunch.  I had been skeptical of the concept, but I was impressed.  I thought I would be in the authenticity camp, judging them by NYC deli standards, but the twists they put on some of the deli food seem so well executed that there's no reason to even want authenticity.  On one hand it doesn't pretend to be authentic/traditional, and on the other hand it doesn't pretend to be over-the-top innovative.  I went for the classic nova/lox/bagel platter, which came with cream cheese, red onion, capers, and tomato slices.  They could have opted to tart this classic up, but they left it exactly as it should be.  My dining companions were more adventurous, and they enjoyed all of it.  I like that instead of feeling compelled to give every single dish a cheffy innovative twist, they do some dishes that way (yet not too over the top) but leave others as classics.  Better than an authentic deli, they have cocktails and excellent espresso.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
Seems pretty expensive...five bucks for a bread basket or pickles? Maybe I'm just feeling cheap at the moment, but a lot of things look high for what they are. I suppose if it was all fabulously delicious, it might be worth it.

Offline UltraFoodie

• This is when I met Michael Stern
    • Ultra Foodie
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
I will say, $5 for pickles was high, the portion wasn't huge & some of them were not great. Everything else we had was excellent & well worth what we paid.

Seems pretty expensive...five bucks for a bread basket or pickles? Maybe I'm just feeling cheap at the moment, but a lot of things look high for what they are. I suppose if it was all fabulously delicious, it might be worth it.
If you are on twitter, look me up @poodle_power, and I always appreciate feedback on my blog http://ultrafoodie.blogspot.com.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 01:36:48 PM »
Had dinner here a few days ago and really liked it.  Originally I was skeptical about high prices, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get over there for the crab rueben.  And if I lived closer, I'd probably have to stop in for some desserts quite a bit.

We split 'the burger', which is pretty big, and really not a bad deal (now that $12-15 seems to be the going rate for an excellent gourmet burger).  My bowl of borscht was not really worth the price (it was good, but probably not $7 good).  Split the tuxedo cake, which was excellent (pretty reasonably priced at 6.50).  We also got a basket of bread (not h&f, it was $2 for focaccia), and the fried avocado appetizer.

You're probably looking at around 20 or so per person (if you don't get alcohol), but the food is excellent, and the atmosphere is nice and relaxing.  We ate at Floataway not too long ago, which is quite a bit pricier and we actually like GM a lot more.

Offline UltraFoodie

• This is when I met Michael Stern
    • Ultra Foodie
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »
Wayne - if you haven't tried it yet, the fried chicken is the best I've ever tasted. The pastrami is also a must, as is the poutine. I also have to say the cocktails are killer, among the best in the city, so even though it adds to the tab, I usually have to order one or two. http://www.ultra-epicure.com/2013/05/the-general-muir.html
If you are on twitter, look me up @poodle_power, and I always appreciate feedback on my blog http://ultrafoodie.blogspot.com.

Offline FoodinAtlanta

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
Nobody's mentioned the Chopped Liver yet.  I think that is one of the best items on the menu by far.

Although you really don't find it too often in Atlanta so I can really only compare it to homemade chopped liver. 

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
Wayne - if you haven't tried it yet, the fried chicken is the best I've ever tasted. The pastrami is also a must, as is the poutine. I also have to say the cocktails are killer, among the best in the city, so even though it adds to the tab, I usually have to order one or two. http://www.ultra-epicure.com/2013/05/the-general-muir.html

The crab rueben is good, but I'm not so sure it was worth the 17-18 bucks.  It's kind of 'gloppy' with the mix of mayo and moisture from the crab.  It was a nice splurge, but we'll likely go back to 'the burger'.  They were doing good business last night (Saturday), which is good to see.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
I don't see the crab reuben on the menu. I wanted to see the description because it seems like that would be a real waste of crab if it included sauerkraut and other strong reuben flavors. ?

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
I don't see the crab reuben on the menu. I wanted to see the description because it seems like that would be a real waste of crab if it included sauerkraut and other strong reuben flavors. ?

It's the Saturday special:
http://northdruidhills.patch.com/groups/announcements/p/the-general-muir-dinner-specials

I don't know if it's a waste of crab, but crab is pretty mild flavored, and I don't think it's worth $17.  Could probably use a healthy dose of Old Bay to kick it up a notch.  Would be a good $10-11 sandwich, IMO.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:14 AM »
Thanks. That is weird to me. And why the comment about pork in your beard? Is there pork on it as well?

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Thanks. That is weird to me. And why the comment about pork in your beard? Is there pork on it as well?

I think it's just some kind of expression (although I've never heard it) to the effect: if you're going to eat something treyf, make sure it's really good.

There's no pork on it.

I wish their prices were a bit lower and/or they did more specials, but the food is good.  We want to get back over there and split the burger, poutine, dessert.  This will probably be around 14+11+6.50.  Last time we went to Ted's Montana Grill, it was about this pricey too.

But we don't want to take the kids, they can eat lesser food.   If TGM ever does one of those 'get a 120 gift card for $100' deals, I'll be all over that.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
Thanks.

I'd like to try the fried chicken. Looks like it is available tonight but we have other plans. If anyone goes, let us know how it was!