Author Topic: Carver's Country Kitchen  (Read 1910 times)

Offline FlyinBrian

Carver's Country Kitchen
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »
Carver's Country Kitchen has been on my "list" for quite some time.  I finally went for lunch today.  I arrived at 11:45am, parked on the street, and made it in the door.  Apparently, this is typically hard to do.  I stood in line for maybe 5 minutes before getting my chance to order.  I was torn between the fried chicken, chicken pot pie and meatloaf.  I opted for the meatload, baked mac & cheese, collard greens, jalapeno cornbread and an Arnold Palmer to wash it down.  The portions were descent.  I enjoyed my selections.  The meatloaf was moist.  The mac while not overly cheesy, was tasty with it's crumbled Ritz cracker crust.  The collards were cooked well, but not over done.   I believe the food is on par with Our Way Cafe in Decatur.  Flying solo, I thoroughly enjoyed the communal table arrangement.  We had a lively conversation at our table.  I will definitely be back.
-B

Offline bettylouski

Re: Carver's Country Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
Funny thing, today was my first time as well, but we were there a little bit later and had a hard time getting seats for the 4 of us.  Loved the Dolly Parton fried chicken breast, mac'n'cheese and collards.  DH had been before so showed the rest of us the ropes, we hope to return sometime soon.  No dinner tonight, though.   :)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »
The pot pie is always good, but I usually do either the chicken breast or the meatloaf. The deep-fried beef and potato casserole and the deep-fried mac and cheese is like injecting fat into your veins. But tasty in the fat-is-good way.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, I finally made it to Carver's for the first time.  The smoked brisket looked so good sitting there in the window, so I ordered that as my meat.  Sides of collards and their macaroni and cheese with cornbread.  The guy who gave me my plate pointed out the barbecue sauce, so I squirted a little on the side.  I wish I had gotten a lot more (I took the food togo).  The meat was tender, but maybe a tiny bit dry.  And the sauce had a great taste - went really well on the meat.  The collards were great also.  I liked the macaroni and cheese, but not nearly as much as the other two.  I'll probably be in that area sometime next week, so I'll get a chance to try the fried chicken.

-Greg

Offline gwilson

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
Last week my parents and I went to GSU's commencement (not sure why they have it on a Tuesday at 2:00 in the afternoon instead of the weekend, but oh well).  Since it was during the week, I finally got my parents downtown for their first visit here.  I had actually never had their chicken & dumplings, so it was a good day to bring them.  It looks like they bake the dish like a casserole with the dumplings on top.  They're almost a biscuit/dumpling hybrid.  Not what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it as did my Mom.  My Dad also liked his catfish.  On the way out, my Mom lamented that we don't have anything like Carver's close to home (North Gwinnett/Buford).  My Dad also wondered how I find these out of the way/in the middle of nowhere type places.  I'm glad that they both enjoyed their first visit, so hopefully it won't be so hard to get them back down for more visits.

-Greg

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
My law partners and I occasionally go to Carvers for lunch during the week, particularly if a visit to Fulton County Jail is required...Food is always plentiful and good, only problem is I feel like I have swallowed several lead anchors when I get up........

Offline MNewman

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:46:06 AM »
Go quickly...closing soon.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
I had never been, so I made it a point to trek down for lunch last week.  That was the final week under Sharon Carver's ownership, although, as has been reported elsewhere, a sign in the restaurant stated that they would be reopening this fall at an address just about a block away from the old site.  Not sure who the new owner is/will be, so I wanted to have some authentic Carver fried chicken while I was still sure it was the real thing.

All I can say is that I wish I'd been sooner.  Being a true Southerner, I don't think there's nearly enough of the meat-and-threes (or meat-and-twos, in this case) still around in Atlanta.  While I have had better fried chicken, mac and cheese, green beans, and biscuits, the whole was bigger than the parts, as each one was a very good version of their type, making the lunch as a whole a very satisfying experience!  I hope they do re-open later this year, and if so, I'll be making the trek again to see if Version 2.0 is just as good.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
Why do you say the new location will be under new ownership?  The news report led me to believe Sharon is continuing on with it.

Offline Chocoholic

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
Sorry I never responded to your post, Lorenzo.  I forget how I originally heard Sharon Carver was retiring, but the day before closing, when I was there, I overheard her telling longtime customers that she was retiring and selling the business to one of the employees (I think she said).  As I feared/suspected, though, I have never heard another thing about a re-opening.