Author Topic: Bone Lick BBQ  (Read 741 times)

Offline BBQgeek

• Email
Bone Lick BBQ
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
Hi Guys -

Long time ....no post.  Sorry to have spent so much time lurking.  I took my daughter out for lunch on Saturday to Bone Lick BBQ and subsequently wrote up the experience at my blog - www.bbqgeek.com .

Highlights:

1.  Pretty strong BBQ - sampled pulled pork, brisket, and ribs.  Ribs stood out.
2.  4 sauce selection - all made in house. 
3.  Strong selection and execution on sides.
4.  Most importantly - Maple Bacon Cotton Candy.
5.  FOH experience very good.  Well trained and observant wait staff.

Hope you enjoy the post.

Mike
BBQgeek

Offline Barnum

Re: Bone Lick BBQ
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
We went Saturday afternoon to a generally good experience.  Had the "Fat Ass Sampler", with pulled pork, brisket, chicken, sausage, and baby back ribs (substituted for the spare ribs that they were out of). Pork and sausage were very good, along with the brisket.  The chicken and the ribs had a bunch of smoke on 'em, but were just too dry.  In all cases the rubs and bbq sauces were spicy, almost too much so for my wife's tastes... I didn't mind but it might temper my decision to return.  Pretty small and dark space inside, nice folks, and music so loud you couldn't talk across the table.  Promising, but not totally there yet.

Offline Fooddoc

• Email
Bone Lick BBQ
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:39:03 AM »
There was a thread on Bone Lick BBQ that has not been posted in for a while and while trying to add a comment I was prompted to consider starting a new topic. 
This place has been getting a lot of good press as being up there with Fox Brothers and Community Q.  As everyone knows, BBQ is very subjective and opinions will vary tremendously.  To add my personal opinion, we did not care for the ribs.  Spicy hot for us is not a problem.  That was what we were expecting and wanted.  Obviously salt is part of the rub and to achieve the level of hot, so much spice mixture was used so that the ribs were extremely salty.  It formed a salt crust on the ribs.  I love a crust rub layer on BBQ ribs but here the salt component was almost intolerable. The brisket on the other hand could handle the salty (and spicy) crust since there is a much greater meat to crust ratio. Smokiness and tenderness was fine for both products and the fat was nicely rendered away. We have only been once and don't know if this was just one day's excessive use of salt in the rub or if  that's the intended flavoring.
The mac'n cheese had been described as creamy but we found it very sticky with little cheese flavor and not as memorable as the version at Community Q (or The Georgia Rib Company which makes a similar style mac'n cheese).