Author Topic: Best pho  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Best pho
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
Anyone (beside Foodgeek) remember RiceSticks? R.I.P.

Loved ricesticks

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
We were up to Dalton for a visit and met with my daughter and her family at I Luv Pho on Jimmy Carter for lunch on our way back home. I thought it was some of the best Pho I have had. The stock was clear and it had sliced red onions as well as spring onions. I also hit BHFM for a stock up of speciality items that are just not available in Beaufort. I was in total sensory overload from both the market and the food but in a good way.

Offline terry

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
I have to agree with you.

I Luv Pho is one of the best in the Gwinnett County area. I went to the one off of Jimmy Carter for lunch last Friday. I went to the one off of Satellite Blvd. after work on both Friday and Saturday night (after 1 AM).
technical writer, webmaster and P/T chef at a restaurant OTP

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »

I remember when Saigon Cafe was the standard, possibly the only place you could get a decent bowl of Pho.

I was in the Emory area yesterday and by elimination didn't stop at some of my favorites but chose to stop at Saigon Cafe (on Clairmont/N. Decatur) for a Pho fix.  It was good and did stop the craving but I was not wowed by the broth, nor the fresh rib-eye (I get it served on the side).  I ate most  of it and it was entirely filling, and the service was grand, but I missed that slightly 5 spice flavored DEEP beef broth that was in my memory.  I don't get over to Buford Hiway much, but have loved the Pho at Pho Xe Lua on JC Blvd.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline terry

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »
For consistency, I Luv Pho has been the best. It still is. Both locations that I've been too have the same taste and quality.
technical writer, webmaster and P/T chef at a restaurant OTP

Offline totm

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
After driving down to the OFW for ramen (my mistake, should have checked Miso Izakaya's facebook page) and finding it wasn't available that day we ended up at Nam Phuong on Buford Hwy.  I was the only one to get pho.  It also was missing the depth of flavor I like.  I quickly scooped out my eye of round before it got over cooked.

While some on this thread are lamenting the loss of Ricesticks (which I do as well) it wasn't known for pho.  For pho, I lament the loss of Pho '79.  Great depth of flavor in the pho and a spicy lemongrass shrimp noodle soup to warm the soul.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline shoeshine boy

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »
Pho Dai Loi still has the best pho, imo. a few months ago we made a late night visit to Pho 24 and were generally pleased. not as good as the other places but considering it's open 24/7 it'll do for those late night cravings.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
Pho Dai Loi still has the best pho, imo. a few months ago we made a late night visit to Pho 24 and were generally pleased. not as good as the other places but considering it's open 24/7 it'll do for those late night cravings.

Dai Loi for sure. Original Jonesboro location possibly somewhat better than BH.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »
I hate to be that guy, but I'm dismayed at the pho shops around town lately.  So inconsistent.  Pho Dai Loi the last couple times were below average.  I ordered a kid-sized bowl of pho and it looked like a bowl of really wet pasta.  Small bowl with a huge mound of rice noodles and hardly any broth.  Pho Xe Lua took a step back, but probably still the best of the average in my mind.  Pho Bac... well, I don't ever order the pho there anymore.  Saigon Cafe in Alpharetta close to my office?  Forget it.  It's a shame that there are people who are trying pho for the first time and thinking "This is what pho tastes like? What's the big deal?".  With all the talk of I Luv Pho, I need to try that next. 

My kids are too spoiled by my mom, who unfortunately lives in Florida.  They don't even like it when I bring home take out pho for dinner or take them out to eat pho.  On the good side, my mom and sister have really coached me up on my own pho recipe and the huge pot I made last weekend was damn good.  My son even said he thought he liked mine better than Grandma's.  I looked at him and asked for his "foodie card" back :)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about Dai Loi. The original location was still very good last time we were there in November.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »
FYI:  Pho Dai Loi 3
1500 Pleasant Hill Rd

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
FYI:  Pho Dai Loi 3
1500 Pleasant Hill Rd

Great news...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline stangc

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »
The Forest Park Dai Loi is our go to for lunch not sure what we would do without it as there is much else to eat near there. I find the Pho very consistent there personally.

Offline Hrothgar

• Email
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »
Pho dai loi (BuHi) has always been my gold standard, but lately due to life with 11 m.o. twins, if I want pho I have to truck over to Pho 24 after kids are in bed (and mom and dad have a chance to recover) and get takeout. But I've actually been very impressed with the flavor of their broth. Also, they sell a serviceable grilled pork banh mi (with pate) at the proper price point, which makes a nice appetizer (or the Vietmese equivalent of "fries on the drive home").

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
Pho dai loi (BuHi) has always been my gold standard, but lately due to life with 11 m.o. twins, if I want pho I have to truck over to Pho 24 after kids are in bed (and mom and dad have a chance to recover) and get takeout. But I've actually been very impressed with the flavor of their broth. Also, they sell a serviceable grilled pork banh mi (with pate) at the proper price point, which makes a nice appetizer (or the Vietmese equivalent of "fries on the drive home").

I can completely empathize.  B.K. (before kids) we used to eat dinner somewhere between 8 and 9 pm.  We could eat anywhere in town.  Now, dinner is around 5 or 5:30 pm.  I'm starving by the time I fall asleep after midnight.  I've been making pho at home.  When I really want a good bowl and maybe to feed some friends, I'll do a large vat the traditional way.  When I'm just trying to satisfy a craving and get a quick dinner, I've been tweaking my slowcooker version.   I can start everything in the morning and be hands off until the late afternoon where its minimal work to assemble some bowls for the family.  Here's a photo album giving you the quick steps in a slowcooker  (http://imgur.com/a/meVn7).  I can give more details if anyone wants. My slow cooker yields maybe 3 adult bowls and 3 kid bowls of pho broth (obviously depending on how much broth you pour per bowl).  Doing the math, it ends up being cheaper than getting takeout.  Plus my proteins are oxtail or/and shortrib (whchever is on sale) which is way better than eye round.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:19:04 PM by Larkemon »