Author Topic: Barbecue restaurants  (Read 984 times)

Offline gwilson

Barbecue restaurants
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
I could have sworn we had a general topic for this, but I couldn't find it.  If someone else finds an appropriate thread, do please move this.  Otherwise...

Barbecue can be such a subjective topic, but I have a slightly different question that will hopefully prove less divisive.  Which restaurant do you think has the best sides (overall)?

I haven't been to every restaurant in contention, but I do remember telling friends back when Fox Bros. first opened that it was the first bbq restaurant where I'd be just as happy with a vegetable plate as a barbecue plate.  I'm not sure if they're still the only place I could say that about though.  Especially if you include soups, as I've heard from quite a few places that Community Q has great soups.

-Greg

Offline kahvigirl

• Email
Re: Barbecue restaurants
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
It's not really a side, but I love the portobello mushroom sandwich at Swallow in the Hollow in Roswell. And you could almost devote an entire thread to brunswick stews. I've had some decent ones (Old South in Smyrna and Williamson Bros in Marietta) and some really dreadful ones (some places in South Georgia put alphabet soup in their brunswick stew.)

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
I think the best stew ever was at Harolds down by the Atlanta Federal Pen. Sadly, I believe they are now gone.....:(

Offline Milt

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
I have generally enjoyed the sides at Sam's BBQ 1, Slope's, Bub-Ba-Q, and Swallow at the Hollow.  Our last trip to SATH, we tried their butternut squash and it was as good a side as I have ever had anywhere.  My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed the squash - even though the rack of ribs we shared was very good.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
I think the best stew ever was at Harolds down by the Atlanta Federal Pen. Sadly, I believe they are now gone.....:(

I know that they postponed closing, at least for a while. Anyone know if they are still open?

Offline stangc

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
Harold's is closed and the building is for sale