Author Topic: Any suggestions for Chinese New Year?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Gerard

• Email
Any suggestions for Chinese New Year?
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »
This year it falls on Monday, Jan 23rd. 

Hoping to get a group of friends together and partake of some food-centric celebration somewhere.  But my little entourage needs to plan well ahead and I'm growing frustrated at the lack of any publicized events.  Hoping someone here may have more information or suggestions where to turn. 

Last year a group of us attended and enjoyed the celebration at Peter Cheng's.  It was crowded and I believe was sold out days in advance.  Hence my paranoia about missing out. 

When I was last at Peter Cheng's - about a month ago - I asked the staff if they would be repeating anything similar to last year's event (About a 10 course meal for around $30pp, IIRC) and they had no idea. Sent Dahe an email last night - I'll relay any information I get.

A call to Gu's last week said they were considering doing something and would post on their Facebook page.  Thus far - nothing. 

Called Golden House yesterday and they said yes, they would have a special menu.  I asked where I could get details.  He said, You'll have to come in and see it later."  Said I live 100 miles away and asked if the information will be online anywhere.  He said "yes".  I said, "Great, so you have a website?"  "Errr... not yet."  And then he hurriedly ended the call. 

Better not hold my breath - figure I'll call again in another week or so.  I'll pass along any details.

Considering going to Chinatown Mall but worried that it might be a crush of people with little time for English and few places to sit.

Please forgive this lengthy stream-of-consciousness post, but:  Does anyone know of any planned events at worthy restaurants? 

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
Re: Any suggestions for Chinese New Year?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
Yes, please update. Have group and will do dim sum if necessary but would be better if set menu and reservations. I have been looking at same (+1) restaurants.

Offline Gerard

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »
FWIW, Gu's posted this on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gusbistroATL :

We are gearing up for Chinese New Year with some special authentic Szechuan traditional Chinese New Year dishes! We will have the following dishes from 1/20 to 1/22 that require a pre-order:

Steamed Pork Belly with Sweet Rice (sweet flavor) 甜烧白
Steamed Pork Belly 咸烧白
Steamed Sweet Rice with Nuts (sweet flavor) 八宝饭

Not exactly the multicourse prix fixe meal I had in mind but might still attend. 

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:18:26 AM »
FWIW, Gu's posted this on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gusbistroATL :

We are gearing up for Chinese New Year with some special authentic Szechuan traditional Chinese New Year dishes! We will have the following dishes from 1/20 to 1/22 that require a pre-order:

Steamed Pork Belly with Sweet Rice (sweet flavor) 甜烧白
Steamed Pork Belly 咸烧白
Steamed Sweet Rice with Nuts (sweet flavor) 八宝饭

Not exactly the multicourse prix fixe meal I had in mind but might still attend.

Does anyone know if these dishes that require pre-ordering are particularly traditional for New Year's?

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
If I don't get any better ideas, I will do my usually:
Dim sum someplace and home cooking at the Chinese Community Center.

Offline Gerard

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:09:07 PM »
I had posted a similar inquiry on Yelp a week or two ago.  Someone was kind enough to send me this link earlier today: 
http://www.atlantawithkid.com/chinese-new-year-2012-chinese-new-year-celebration-events-around-atlanta/

Looks like a couple of interesting possibilities.  Unfortunately the dates for the events I find enticing are really bad for me.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »
A group of friends and I have a res for Gu's on Saturday.  If any of you are there, feel free to stop by and say hi.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »

Is anyone planning a Chinese New Year feast somewhere?   

We hopefully will be at Rumi's Kitchen on the 10th, but outside of that we have nothing planned..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Canton House and the Chinese Southern Belles are doing an event on Friday.  We had been planning to go, but something came up.

http://www.chinesesouthernbelle.com/2013/01/special-chinese-new-year-cultural-dinner-friday-feb-8/

If I failed to report on last year's New Year's dinner at Gu's, the bottom line is I was underwhelmed.  I love Gu's, but their special New Year's menu focused on what I suppose is traditional for New Year's rather than the ma la stuff that I crave.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:02 AM »
Somewhere on buford hwy, probably Man Chun Hong or Bo Bo Garden