Author Topic: Antico Pizza  (Read 10385 times)

Offline Barnum

Re: Antico Pizza
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2010, 05:50:40 AM »
I think i saw Liz's husband there too...

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for that meddling Molinari.  You're on my list, Jason.  I expect cured meats per reparazione.

I threw away the receipt before I got home and everything.

Trying to get a little lunchtime Italian can be tricky... you can come home smelling like garlic (which maybe you can explain) but are totally busted if there's a spot or smear of sauce or marina...

Offline nelu

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »

Finally, I managed to get to try their pizza. I am very familiar with Fritti and Varasano, so I have to say that this one is excellent as well. Frankly, they are all a bit different, and I think that this is a good thing for us. I found Antico's dough very tasty, maybe tastier than the rest, although is it on the thicker side.

I was amused by the service. I got there when a Italian server was present. She kept her answers very short, it made me remember of service in Europe which at times can be cold. I mentioned that I wanted tap water, but we had to figure it out that we need to go to the sink and get some. I know sure if I just just get the ice from somewhere else, probably so. I did not feel like asking again. Maybe the owner is very friendly, did not have the chance to chat with him. Anyways, the pizza is very good, and once you learn what to do there and where everything is, the rest does not matter.

I also tried the desserts: a pastry with cheese filing (about $3) and a mousse (about $6). Despite their price, they are outstanding. I recommend them. I suspect that they must cost that much because they probably use only imported ingredients, but I did not ask (again).

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »
Today's pizza @ Antico was a FAIL.
It was a doughy soggy disaster. I had the diavola. They put so much salame that i couldn't taste anything but, and i don't care for the brand they use, it is too sour.
The dough was like 3/8" thick and heavy.

If i hadn't had good ones, and this was the 1st one i tried, i doubt i'd be going back.

Varasano, IMHO, has a superior product. And if one more person calls Antico "authentic Neapolitan style" i'm going to punch them in the ear. It's about as far from Neopolitan as NYC style is.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
?

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2010, 03:51:30 PM »

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16:01 PM »
So I finally made it to Antico. I went for lunch today with 2 co-workers. We split a Caprocciosa and a Pomodorini. The crust was chewy and thick on the perimeter and thin and charred towards the middle - Kind of a best of both worlds crust. I would have likes a bit more basil on the Pomodorini. Otherwise, both were very delicious but a pricey for lunch

Offline Barnum

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2010, 07:35:19 AM »
I guess it's not a stretch given that they started out with a business plan that included pre-made pies that you'd take home and finish cooking...

I ran across this as I was wandering around:  ANTICO EXPRESS

Looks a little like a Nascar food truck?  Certainly seems to be at least loosely affiliated with Antico, doesn't it?

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2010, 08:23:17 AM »
I guess it's not a stretch given that they started out with a business plan that included pre-made pies that you'd take home and finish cooking...

I ran across this as I was wandering around:  ANTICO EXPRESS

Looks a little like a Nascar food truck?  Certainly seems to be at least loosely affiliated with Antico, doesn't it?

It mentions Antico Pizza specifically.  Now if only they would deliver to Roswell.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Is it still worth putting up with the possible rudeness to get takeout, or is Verrizano a nicer (but less flavorfull) choice?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:01 AM »
I never experienced rudeness, and their pizza reheats surprisingly well. Varasano's won't reheat very well...if you have to do takeout i'd go Antico...much thicker and more robust for transport.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »
I never experienced rudeness, and their pizza reheats surprisingly well. Varasano's won't reheat very well...if you have to do takeout i'd go Antico...much thicker and more robust for transport.

I agree. Antico reheated pizza is delicious. We heat it in a hot cast iron skillet on the stove top, not in the oven. Have to get over that way soon.

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
Friends brought over a Marg with pepperoni, and it was fantastic! We had some really tasty cannoli and great conversation. This was their first Antico, and they loved the place.

Offline outtolunchatty

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
Popped  into Antico tuedsay nite after looking at traffic on the connector about 7:00 pm (not moving) and ordered a pie to go (Margherita, almost 20 bucks),,,i ate two slices before i left,and threw the rest away when i got home. This was my second visit after opening week, and i didnt care for it the first time. Although I've had Pizza's all over the United States and Europe (yes, including italy), and although i've worked in a pizza joint (Rosa's during the olympics), there must be something wrong with me. This pizza at Antico (to me) as it was the first time, was grossly overpriced and essentially tasteless. Charred parts of bottom crust taste, well, charred and burnt. Cheese on top almost non existant. Sauce mild to the point of tasteless. Maybe the whole notion here is just too romantic for me, but leave me out of the ridiculous hype. Ecch. Give me LaBellas every time.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Antico Pizza
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »
The crust at Antico is like eating crunchy cotton balls.