Author Topic: "feed me" otpion  (Read 832 times)

Offline rdahl

• Email
"feed me" otpion
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:29 AM »
Anyone know of a good restaurant in Atlanta that offers the "feed me" option?

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: "feed me" otpion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
Anyone know of a good restaurant in Atlanta that offers the "feed me" option?

So I don't have to Google it, what is the "feed me" option?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Sadlebred

• Sadlebred's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
I think it's like a "chef's choice" menu where the chef just cooks things for you, and you don't order specific items off the menu.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:54:36 AM »
Aside from an omakase meal at somewhere like Taka, the only place I know of that has a regular option is P'cheen.  Under the Appetizer heading they have:

just trust us     we will prepare a one of a kind starter just for you. be unique. be bold.  9

I imagine if it's a slow(er) night at a decent restaurant, that the chef may be willing to do more than one 'surprise' course if asked.  Depends on the chef's mood/personality I guess.

On a related note, this reminds me of a restaurant (that I think was in D.C.) that I always wanted to try.  The chef would come out to the table, ask what each diner's preferences/dislikes were, then create a dish for each person.  I have no idea what the name of the restaurant or chef is - or even if the restaurant is still around.  Anyone else know what/who I'm talking about?

-Greg

Offline uOTPia Dweller

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »
A few years back I was at Zola and telling one of the twins how I pretty much like anything with meat or seafood. She volunteered that Adriano loves picking out something for people like me, implying he had a loyal following of customers who put their faith in his hands.

I did and it worked out well.

Unfortunately, it is deep, deep into uOTPia and while definitely good, I’m not ready to call it a destination place. But if you are near the Alpha/Cumming border…
Sexy man gives quick restaurant tips for northern 'burbs https://www.tastemade.com/@fatdude

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »

Ahhhhhh, I get it.

Sometimes it was called a tasting menu.  ( or is that a different thing ? )

One of the most memorable was the birthday dinner that Lamar Thomas planned and produced at East West Bistro for my wife Deanne on her birthday it was fantastic with it' own menu and a beverage pairing with each course. 

Here is a copy of that menu....  Thanks again Lamar.

Actually I/we have had a number of those "feed me" experiences here in Georgia and elsewhere. Pura Vida has done that same thing for us more than once with Hector Santiago bringing on small plates until we nearly burst, Frank Ma would do that if asked and planned ahead, so would a few more chefs/places that you will remember.   

Come to think of it Kevin Rathbun did a birthday dinner for us at Rathbun steaks with notice, with no menu and just an approximation of how much per head we were willing to pay.

Nic Bour at Iris, did a couple fab meals for us with cocktails...    I bet I can think of more...

This has happened to our happy crowd in New Orleans on many occasions, notably were the ones at John Besh restaurants August and Domenica, but also at Pier 424, and Luke as well as Arnaud's and Antoine's. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:17:52 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
So where is the OP from that he or she is familiar with this "feed me" concept?  Sounds like fun.  Sounds not like Atlanta.

Offline LamarT

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »
Thanks for remembering me, Mike. I did a lot of special menu dinners and enjoyed every minute of it. Nothing made me happier than working up new dishes for you all, and I mean ALL. It was definitely a storied career. The food lovers out of this space were a wonderful inspiration and cooking for each of you was a high mark. Those tasting menus were gold to me where the adventure of setting up each bite and sip and look and smell was a reward greater than the sum of its parts. Truly, it was a work of Love. French, California, Mediterranean, Pan Asian, Deep South, progressive, each was and is a never ending well spring of culinary riches and desires. Chefs get a kick out of tasting menus with paired drinks.

A devotion to the business spanning 35 years left me with damaged nerves in my lower back, melanoma (6 months of hellish treatments and it could of course come back w/ a vengeance), a left leg that seems cursed and the usual wear and tear of all working Executive Chefs (devastating migraines & a few other things still). So I am out of the business, except for some advisory work and being on the board of Slow Food Greater Athens. There were a few odd fellows with needs to fabricate the why of my disappearance from the scene but it was all medical, expensive and painful. I wish I could have done more, and seeing that menu reminded me of how much I cared for you guys, and of the pleasure I gained in giving you a few moments of indulgence in my cuisine and reproductions. It rocks being a customer now! Food is poetry and life.