Author Topic: Sweet Auburn Curb Market  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Sweet Auburn Curb Market
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »

It is always good to step back in time to one of the older markets in the city and see businesses thriving, food stands jumping, and a whole hog laying there on a pallet.  Yes it is hard to get to from here in Centerville/Snellville, and true I pass DFM to get there, but there is a bit of romance and a lot of history in that building and location.  I shopped a bit, took some pictures, and had a good Greek Gyro with Greek Salad for lunch.  I ended up buying some (wet) U12 scallops, I hope they are as good as they looked in the showcase?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Sweet Auburn Curb Market
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »
It is a really neat place, and the fact that there is validated parking makes it easy for me to go there for lunch. The little restaurants and food counters there seem to be continually evolving, as one closes and a new one opens, but I think Grindhouse will stick around for a while, and The Greek seems promising as well.

And everyone is really friendly, too. I love the people who give out praline samples. Yum.
Food is my favorite.

Offline gwilson

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
Thought about seperating this into different posts to up my count, but figured one summary was good enough.

It took me about a year to realize the Curb Market is so close to GSU's campus.  But once I did, I tried to eat lunch here about once a week.  I was never really disappointed (except one small part once).  I never did get around to trying the soul food place or the Caribbean or fish places though.  Nor did I ever try the new salad/smoothie place.

The one misfire were ribs at Sweet Auburn Barbecue.  They are smoked then fried - I do not like them fried.  Not sure if it was the oil or the technique or what, but I didn't care for them.  I do like pretty much everything else they have though.  (Collards are really good, but fairly spicy.)

I did post in the Arepa Mia thread, because she deserves the extra publicity.  Her food is very good.

Grindhouse has a good turkey burger.  I believe that and the onion rings (also good) are the only things I've ever had there.

I've had ice cream from High Road at some of the farmers' markets, but never here.  I've always been too full unfortunately.  One day I'm going just for a milkshake.  (Grindhouse also makes milkshakes.)

The last time I ate at the market was at Yum Diggity.  (As far as I know, they only have a Facebook page for web presence - https://www.facebook.com/Yumdiggity/info.)  Their special was a chili cheese dog, so that's what I got with slaw on top.  It was delicious.  They get their sausages from Wienerz, and they've all been good.  The side of fries I got were also great, freshly cooked (the dog was ready before the fries) and seasoned with a good amount of salt.  They're the small shoestring variety, and I assume they cut them from potatoes instead of using frozen ones.

And lastly, while burritos are not a personal favorite, I do love Bell Street Burritos, if for no other reason than the fact that they have Cheerwine on tap.  No matter where I actually buy food from - I always get my drink from them.

-Greg

Offline Barnum

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
stopped by for lunch today... a huge tasty brat at yumdiggity with totally forgettable sauerkraut... get the brat again, forget the kraut.

Also tried some of the very tasty high road ice cream.

My only complaint about the curb market is having to pay $5 to park for 30 minutes.  No real street parking close by and this certainly limits how often I go. 

Offline gwilson

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:32:28 PM »
Barnum,

You should be able to get a validation for one hour of parking with any purchase.  Unless they've stopped doing that.

-Greg

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
They require a $5 purchase but they still validate as of yesterday.

NC

Offline Barnum

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
Interesting, I stopped asking a while back when I was told no on a couple $10+ lunch purchases in a row....