Author Topic: Pigs  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Pigs
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »

I am currently having some lively conversation about pigs and varieties and processing and availability. 

I'm afraid we ALL missed out on a chance to buy some Ossabaw halves, they sold out in just several days and I guess that is good but I did miss out on a chance to have some in my freezer and to have a big Ossabaw ham for Christmas or later. 

Nature's Harmony Farm

http://www.naturesharmonyfarm.com/ossabaw-pork/

This last one was from here Nature's Harmony Farm.

http://cheese.wazala.com/

Ossabaw Pork As Seen on The Cooking Channel & in Southern Living Magazine

Hi everyone!  We have a rare treat just in time for the holidays. Today, we are processing  7 young Ossabaw Island pigs, each with a hanging weight of one hundred pounds. At this size and age the pork is absolutely tender and succulent. Ossabaws are highly prized for their unique flavor and delicious marbling. Just look at the Ossabaw pork chops above!

We are  selling the pigs in halves, so there are 14
halves available. First come, first serve. If you're interested CLICK HERE ASAP to claim your half and make your payment in our online store, after you have read the full details on the right.

NOTE: These will be the only Ossabaws we offer until next winter, so stock your freezer with free-range Ossabaw pork for the next year! 

Live well, eat well!

Tim & Liz Young
Nature's Harmony Farm

Pigs will be processed today, December 5 and will be ready for pickup on December 7-10, after butchering. You must pick up at the butcher in Thomson, GA

The cost for each half is $250.  Each half will have a dressed weight of approximately 40 pounds, yielding 30 pounds or more of pork.

This price INCLUDES the kill, butcher and paper wrap fee.  You tell butcher how you want it cut (we can guide you). Also, you can pay the butcher an extra $.20/lb for vacuum packing if you wish.

What Can You Expect From Each Half?

- A 4 lb Boston Butt
- A 4 Lb Picnic Roast
- A 10 lb ham (perfect for Christmas, or cut it into roasts)
- Meaty ribs (but no pork side), or pork sides (but no ribs)
- Small but delicious pork chops 
- Of course you can have sausage or ground made, but that will come from the ham or elsewhere

Meat prices are going up everywhere and pork is projected to rise 30% in 2013. First come, first serve.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:41:38 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Pigs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »

Cane Creek Farm

GG>-These folks have a bunch of different things and are in Cumming, Georgia.

http://www.canecreekfarm.net/

Cane Creek Farm
5110 Jekyll Road, Cumming, GA 30040
(770) 889-3793

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »

I have a friend that has a farm in Monroe and he raises hogs.  He raises heritage hogs only and usually a couple varieties at a time.  I have been fortunate to be able to get in on buying and feeding these hogs until they reach a stage where "I" want to butcher them.  Heck yea I could have taken a small one at any time, as there were at one time 11 Ossabaw Island piglets running around the pastures, but I wanted a larger one so I let them eat acorns and forage all summer and now they are 200+ to 250+ pounds each.  Some of the sows are easily 250lbs.. I remember them when they were cute little piglets but I did NOT name them or go to see them too often.  They have been pulled out of the pasture now and are on a diet of corn and day-old-bread ready for when I can get them to the processor and to be cut and wrapped according to how I want them.   

This is my third time with buying a whole or a half hog and presenting it to the butcher to do their thing.  As of now I have chose Capes Sausage Co. in Covington to do the butchery for me for the 4 6 hogs I'll split up among local foodies. 

This is my first time with the Ossabaw Island pigs and though I have tasted the muscle cuts once or twice I am really looking forward to having chops, ribs, and roasts in the freezer for the next couple quarters for us to use.

Here is a picture or two of the hogs I will have butchered and the next generation of hogs that will be living in luxury on 11 acres of good acorn pasture with a bog and a creek and plenty of room to roam.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:12:24 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »

I took 6 very nice Ossabaw Island hogs to the processor this morning.  One very nice spotted sow for me and the other 5 called for and paid for.  It won't be until Thursday or Friday that I/we can go pick 'em up, but they trotted nicely out of the stock-trailer and into a pen at Cape's Sausage Co. in Covington where they will work with my butchering guidelines (that I printed from the internet), and make nice pig-parts for our tables. 

A lot of detail work, but well worth the effort so far..

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:20:56 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline MadBob

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
OK fine. I guess I will just drive to Striplings then. Besides, 2 lbs of their bacon is a lot cheaper than one pound of Oscar Meyer at Kroger! LOL
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:52:33 AM by MadBob »
"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress"
Ronald Reagan

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 05:08:42 AM »
OK fine. I guess I will just drive to Striplings then. Besides, 2 lbs of their bacon is a lot cheaper than one pound of Oscar Meyer at Kroger! LOL

I'd go to Avondale and buy a couple pounds of the Pine Street Market bacon, you can thank me later.   

Bob, Ossabow hogs are NOT bacon hogs, they are short and not too fat, so this time I won't be getting any pork belly for making bacon.  The farmer HAS set aside two future Tamworth/Ossabaw crossed hogs for me that will be ready about April, those longer bodied Tamworths will probably have some FINE pork bellies that I can cure..

Since you live over here on the East side, why not go to Grayson Farmers market tonight between 3:30 and 7 and pick up a couple pounds of Birkshire bacon from B&G farms, tell Lynda Brady I sent you... Heck, I might see you there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_%28pig%29

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:16:21 AM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline MadBob

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 07:26:11 AM »
We would enjoy that trip to the farmers market! I will see what the better half has on store for this afternoon since our Granddaughter is on the premises. Additionally, I will also try to get to Avondale during lunchtime this week.
As usual, many thanks Mike!
"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress"
Ronald Reagan

Beer is why I get up every afternoon.

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »
My Ossabaw Island hog is cut up, wrapped and in the freezer..

A LOT of fat on those semi-small hogs.  Next time I'm aiming to have some Tamworth or Birkshire hogs raised rather than this breed of semi-wild feral hog.    I'm not disappointed, I would just rather have many more pig parts in the freezer for the same amount of effort and care.   I got 120lbs of pig (including about 20-30lbs of fat) from my fairly big sow.

So using the 60-40 rule my hog on the hoof weighed about 200lbs.   I hope that rule works on feral/Ossabaw Island hogs.  ;)

Lessons learned..

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:33:05 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »

Here is some info about "Large Blacks" an interesting breed of hog...  Also info about GLOCESTERSHIRE OLD SPOTS

http://www.largeblackhogs.com/

http://www.largeblackhogs.com/old%20spot.htm

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:23:58 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »