Author Topic: Costco  (Read 20225 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Costco
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2011, 01:54:10 PM »
This is getting ridiculous.  Chanterelles, $6.99/lb.   I can't stop adding them to everything!

On another note, Costco.com now sells the Sous Vide Supreme for $349/S&H included.

Thats the sous vide supreme demi, which is a little smaller than the normal one i believe.

edit: and it comes with the vacuum sealer! Pretty darn good deal.

edit2: apparently the sous vide supreme demi is $299 from SVS without the vac packer for those who have one already
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:03:32 PM by Jmolinari »

Offline totm

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
Canadian Sockeye @ $8.99/lb.

You do not have to have a Costco membership to purchase from the attached liquor store at the Perimeter location if you pay with cash or a debit card.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
The meniton of Costco in the microwave thread reminded me - went to Costco with our in-laws a couple of weeks ago to stack up on snacks for the whole kindergarten class for two weeks. It was great for that purpose!

We also bought a bunch of things for oursevles. The best were some prime sirloin steaks that I think were around $9 a pound. Totally worth it.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
The 2012 vintage Tuscan evoo has arrived. . . still an amazingly great deal at $11.99.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
The 2012 vintage Tuscan evoo has arrived. . . still an amazingly great deal at $11.99.

Thanks, it is on our list..

Jason >>>>  have you blessed this batch, I count on you to let us know if it is a go or a NO go...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

Thanks, it is on our list..

Jason >>>>  have you blessed this batch, I count on you to let us know if it is a go or a NO go...

Hah! I don't know. Sure hope so, i bought 11 last week :)
still have a couple 2011 bottles left, so it might be a month or 2 before i taste teh 2012. I've never been disappointed though

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
What does the label on this vintage Tuscan oil look like?  I bought some Italian EVOO at Costco that was about that price, but it doesn't have a year on the label.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »
Hmm. That's not what I bought.  I didn't see that one.  The bottle I bought just says "Extra Virgin," "First Cold Press" (is that redundant), and "Italian" olives (not necessarily Tuscan).

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Hmm. That's not what I bought.  I didn't see that one.  The bottle I bought just says "Extra Virgin," "First Cold Press" (is that redundant), and "Italian" olives (not necessarily Tuscan).

Yup, that's the standard year round. I don't like that one.
This one is in rectangular glass bottles. I saw it in Kennesaw and Cumberland now.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
Costco also has a "standard" Spanish EVOO.  That's the one I usually buy.

Offline totm

« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »

This one is in rectangular glass bottles. I saw it in Kennesaw and Cumberland now.
Perimeter as well.  They also have a balsamic vinegar in the same rectangular bottle.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »

Perimeter as well.  They also have a balsamic vinegar in the same rectangular bottle.

Yup, that's good vinegar..and is available all the time.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
Made hamburgers, which I usually grind myself (kind of a disgusting hassle), and instead tried Costco's styrofoam pack 'ground beef'.  Normally, I don't buy 'ground beef', since it can contain all kinds of body parts, but I figured that it would be safe here.

I tell you what: IMO, that's some high quality stuff.  I could tell from looking at it that it was almost all pink, not that much 'white flecks' (fat) in it.  Some might want to see a lot of white, but I find that the burgers shrink ridiculously when the ground meat has a lot of fat.  It didn't have the 'look' of what you'd get if they're throwing a lot of lowgrade trim into the grinder.

How did it cook:  I used a panade, hard to tell if it helps a lot.  Seems like it lead to an easily falling apart, almost meatloaf texture, but they did stay moist even cooked until gray (if I grind myself, I'm fine with 130-140 range, if it's pre-ground meat, I'm apt to take it a bit higher).  The burgers didn't shrink very much at all, and didn't seem overly fatty. 

For the next ones, I may skip the panade and season more on the outside of the patty, but overall I was impressed with the lean-ness.  I had pondered getting their packaged 'organic ground beef' but it actually looked like it had more fat than I like. 

The package has about 5lbs of meat at $2.99/lb, only used about a third of it and it made quite a few burgers.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
Last week I saw that Costco now has a California "new" evoo - $7.99/liter.  Probably have to try it soon.