Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 48342 times)

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2010, 04:07:50 PM »
I don't always look in the European section, but it is nice knowing that it's there. We usually make our trek around the perimeter of the store, going through produce, bakery, meats and seafood, then finally the various Asian aisles, usually hitting up most of the samples along the way.

We got a couple more heirloom tomatoes today, plus some other cheap produce, chicken breasts for chicken salad, ground pork, chicken livers, some sashimi-grade tuna, a couple bottles of Pinot Evil and the usual banh mi rolls and croissants. The bakery continues to get better and better. The samples today were very good as well. I loved the chocolate-coated ginger candies, but didn't buy any because I don't have any room for them in my thighs.
Food is my favorite.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
Oh, that's one of the many sections we didn't get to. Cart was already full!

Cart? Brave and patient soul.  Its a basket or nothing for me.  I couldn't stand being stuck in the sea of careless cart drivers. The parking lot is bad enough.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:39:19 AM by HaagenDazs »

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2010, 04:38:32 AM »

Cart? Brave and patient soul.  Its a basket or nothing for me.  I couldn't stand being stuck in the sea of careless cart drivers. The parking lot is bad enough.

Exactly right. One of the reasons I'm typically there every Saturday between 9 and 10, as opposed to later, is all those freakin' horrible cart drivers who crowd the store later in the day. I always use a hand basket, even though it usually ends up so full that my arms are straining by the time I get to the checkout. Part of the experience.  :)

Offline Minerva

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
a couple bottles of Pinot Evil

I was in the wine section looking for Pinot Evil based on one of your earlier posts, but didn't see it on the shelf. Granted, I was trying to hurry. Was it with the other pinot noirs?

We made a point of being there no later than 9:30 Sarurday a.m. because we have had too many horrible shopping experiences later in the day at places like Harry's.

It's a bit of a trek for us from northeast Cobb, so the early Saturday traffic on 285 is an added bonus.

Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
a couple bottles of Pinot Evil

I was in the wine section looking for Pinot Evil based on one of your earlier posts, but didn't see it on the shelf. Granted, I was trying to hurry. Was it with the other pinot noirs?

Yes, on one of the middle shelves. It has a labeled slot, but they ran out recently. I only checked for it yesterday on the off-chance that they had somehow restocked. It's getting increasingly hard to find, and when some stores run out, they stop stocking it, so I don't know how long it will last. Truthfully, I should have just bought them out yesterday.
Food is my favorite.

Offline totm

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
Oh, that's one of the many sections we didn't get to. Cart was already full!

Cart? Brave and patient soul.  Its a basket or nothing for me.  I couldn't stand being stuck in the sea of careless cart drivers. The parking lot is bad enough.
Call me a brave patient soul.  Last Saturday I grabbed a cart from outside.  V asked if we wanted one of those rolling baskets instead.  We continued with the cart.  In the produce section I try to find a good place to park it so that it is not in front a a busy section and is accessible to us.  We then go back and forth to the various bins.  I move the cart ahead as we get further along.  We had put a few things in the cart (pineapple, lemon, lime, avacado, jalepeno, etc).  I went back to see if there was any arugula we could snip and I would try to root.  When I went back to where I had left my cart the lemon, lime, and avacado were no longer there.  8-0  We rarely seem to fill the cart up anyway.

Not much in the way of samples at 2:30/3:00 either.

We sometimes get one of the meat pies at the European Deli.  V has found that if you don't look or sound European it can be difficult to get service there.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »
See.  If only you had a basket (even a rolling basket, if you must) there would have been none of this produce-napping.  ;)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2010, 06:34:11 PM »
Food find: FRESH mangosteen at BHFM.  Maybe I'm not super-observant but I've only seen fresh mangosteen once or twice before.  Ever.  Go grab some if you want 'em.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:38:02 PM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
oh shnap. and i'm not in town....must go immediately!

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
We saw them today as well.  I think they're from Thailand.  I hadn't noticed them before and probably wouldn't have today but my dad pointed them out.

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »
I was in there this morning and they did't have any. I even asked the guy at the computer if they had any and he laughed and said no. Just wanted to give them a try.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
I'm surprised they went that fast, I guess the shipment was small.  When I got there one of the managers was unloading them from the box into the selection bin, so I was among the first to grab some at least at that time.

Offline totm

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2010, 07:12:23 AM »
We picked up a mixed box of man doo from the dumpling maker at BHFM, half with kim chee and half beef, and that will probably be tonight's dinner.
The dumpling maker being at the very far left past the restrooms and videos?
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »
Has anyone had the 'budin' from the baked goods area?  It's good.   It's a dense, slightly sweet bread pudding.  It actually tastes a lot like a sweet kugel.  Not much to look at, but we find it tasty.

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
We picked up a mixed box of man doo from the dumpling maker at BHFM, half with kim chee and half beef, and that will probably be tonight's dinner.
The dumpling maker being at the very far left past the restrooms and videos?

That's the one.  :)
Food is my favorite.