Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 48337 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 04:38:45 PM »
Davo, that's SO GROSS. I've never seen that, thankfully

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
Davo, that's SO GROSS. I've never seen that, thankfully

Me neither...   I'm sitting here not knowing exactly how I would have reacted or what I would have done... ?

I'm thinking that I would have washed the dern thing off and grilled it rather hard and tried to forget the fly?

what would you have done?

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
I dunno...that's pretty gross.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
I agree that that is gross, but I have never had anything like that happen in my many years of shopping there.

I know you found the fly in chicken, but the fish seem cleaner and fresher than the fish at most Publix or Kroger's.

I will note that the last time I bought chicken thighs at BHFM I regretted it because there was so much waste and bone that they were a pain to prepare, and, therefore, not that less expensive comparatively.

I would have taken it back, or at least called to complain. And no, I don't think I could have "forgotten" the fly, unfortunately.

Offline Davo7

• Email
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
It's not the first time this has happened to anyone, and sure it won't be the last, so I am not putting too much stock in it.

The funny thing was that I was going to freeze most of them, and had individually wrapped each in plastic wrap, and had all 5 of them done, and the last one was where the bug was. I thought about keeping the other 5, but I have a 3 week old and a wife that is breastfeeding, I didn't want to take any chances.

I'll be back. I think.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
That's pretty gross.  I tend to keep around a half gallon of saltwater brine in my fridge at all times, and I slowly use it up over the course of a few months.

A good brining or salting cleans the meat well, then give it a final rinse.  I wouldn't let it stop me from going there again, but if you notice a pattern...

For basic brine I use: 4 ozs non iodized table salt (it's a waste of money to use kosher salt for making a brine), and hot water to make 1/2 gallon.   Just use enough to submerge the chicken, often 12-16 ozs does the job.

Offline The_Scientist

• $750 as is, you pay the towing
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
Just wanted to report that BHFM has heirloom tomatoes (from Mexico I think) for $2.99/lb.  I've never seen them anywhere this early in the season, but we happily bought one and had it for breakfast today.  Luscious!
"Crayons taste like purple" - Tardy the Turtle

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2010, 02:00:54 PM »
Were the tomatoes good?

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
Just wanted to report that BHFM has heirloom tomatoes (from Mexico I think) for $2.99/lb.  I've never seen them anywhere this early in the season, but we happily bought one and had it for breakfast today.  Luscious!

Harry's (in Alpharetta, at least) has carried heirlooms almost year round for the past couple of years, granted, the size of the selection is much smaller in February than it is in August...  They are clearly banking on the "heirloom" term so I'm not sure of the quality - I've never bought heirloom tomatoes in February -  but at some point you certainly wonder where you draw the line between "heirloom" and supermarket varieties if they are shipped from 1000 miles away.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »

Harry's (in Alpharetta, at least) has carried heirlooms almost year round for the past couple of years, granted, the size of the selection is much smaller in February than it is in August...  They are clearly banking on the "heirloom" term so I'm not sure of the quality - I've never bought heirloom tomatoes in February -  but at some point you certainly wonder where you draw the line between "heirloom" and supermarket varieties if they are shipped from 1000 miles away.

Well, I'm not eating heirloom tomatoes for any ideological reasons or pretending that they're local, although they might be from a local organic farmer who has a greenhouse for all I know. I wasn't paying that much attention. I eat heirloom tomatoes because they taste different from supermarket varieties in a good way. We did have to pick over the ones in the bin, since many of them were blemished and less than ripe, though I did consider letting some of them ripen on my counter. The one we did pick out was absolutely delicious. And the $2.99/pound price was quite reasonable, given the product we received.
Food is my favorite.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
Well, I'm not eating heirloom tomatoes for any ideological reasons or pretending that they're local, although they might be from a local organic farmer who has a greenhouse for all I know. I wasn't paying that much attention. I eat heirloom tomatoes because they taste different from supermarket varieties in a good way. We did have to pick over the ones in the bin, since many of them were blemished and less than ripe, though I did consider letting some of them ripen on my counter. The one we did pick out was absolutely delicious. And the $2.99/pound price was quite reasonable, given the product we received.

You're absolutely right.  The taste of heirlooms in any form has got to be better than the cottony mega-mart alternative.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
They have GREAT half sour pickles...and the pickled green tomatoes....SO GOOD.
now that i've told you all, i'll never find them!

Okay, I admit it. I was a BHFM virgin until this morning. The place rocks my world.

I remembered Jason mentioning these pickles and tomatoes but didn't know where in this cavernous space to look for them. Where will I find them next time?

Got red snapper and OYSTERS (8.99 lb.) that were said to be from the Gulf. We're having them for lunch today so if they're good we're going to hurry back for more.

Bought something from the meat case called beef sashimi - have no idea what cut of beef it is, but a very nice Asian lady shopper told me I can slice it thinly and quick fry it or cut it up for steaks

We spent an hour there and still barely scratched the surface of what we wanted to look at. . . .

Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline mikeamor

• Email
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2010, 12:33:08 PM »
Okay, I admit it. I was a BHFM virgin until this morning. The place rocks my world.

Popped my cherry 2 weeks ago.
Wow.  Makes Super H look like a Target.
I am perfectly willing to make the trek from Roswell to go play here once
a week (plus we get to hit up some interesting lunch spot ;D).
Unfortunately, a conclusion is usually the place where you got tired of thinking.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »
They have GREAT half sour pickles...and the pickled green tomatoes....SO GOOD.
now that i've told you all, i'll never find them!

I remembered Jason mentioning these pickles and tomatoes but didn't know where in this cavernous space to look for them. Where will I find them next time?

Got red snapper and OYSTERS (8.99 lb.) that were said to be from the Gulf. We're having them for lunch today so if they're good we're going to hurry back for more.

Bought something from the meat case called beef sashimi - have no idea what cut of beef it is, but a very nice Asian lady shopper told me I can slice it thinly and quick fry it or cut it up for steaks

We spent an hour there and still barely scratched the surface of what we wanted to look at. . . .

They're in the section with the eastern european deli meats

Offline Minerva

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »
Oh, that's one of the many sections we didn't get to. Cart was already full!
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown