Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 48339 times)

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
Re: Buford Highway Farmer's Market
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
Seems we don't have a thread, so here goes:

We headed up that way to pick up some crab legs from Super H and hit BHFM first. This place just keeps getting better and better. It is hands-down the best grocery store in the city, IMHO. THey have expanded the "European" offerings even more. Bought some terrific deli pickles, some absolutley wonderful rye bread - I  have been looking for this kind of rye since I moved from NY state-, great Taramosalata, lots and lots of veggies, meats, and other things. My three-year old was kept happy by an ongoing opportunity to try the samples they were giving out.

Really like that they now have "fancy" meats, the giant seafood selection, and "fancy cheeses". It is truly one-stop shopping.

Oh, and the bathrooms are comparatively deluxe.

Okay, as somebody from another part of town who rarely gets to this part of town, and then only to eat, not to shop, can somebody tell me where this place is?  When I google it, I get someplace outside the loop, but I could have sworn there's a place further down BuHi called the same thing?  Have seen a lot of discussion around here but everyone seems to think it's understood where this place is... or I am simply the last person to find it...

Yep, you are the absolute very last person on the planet to find it...   It is almost the very next thing on the left (North) side of Buford Highway when you go under the I-285 bridge..   turn left at the light and park under the guard tower, and you will be fine...

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »
Yep, you are the absolute very last person on the planet to find it...   It is almost the very next thing on the left (North) side of Buford Highway when you go under the I-285 bridge..   turn left at the light and park under the guard tower, and you will be fine....

Thanks Mike, always nice to know there's somebody around who will quickly tell me where to go!

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »
The other market you're probably thinking of is "Atlanta Farmer's market", well south of 285, which is also pretty good, but nothing compared t oBHFM.

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »
IIRC, the Atlanta Farmers Market folks are the ones who opened up the Hong Kong market on JCB.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
New find at Buford Highway Farmers Market: Sweetbreads. Well, actually I had to ask for them, and I didn't get any yet, and there is one other caveat. They're beef sweetbreads and not veal. I asked the gentleman at the very nice new meat counter about all of the new offerings, as I've noticed that they're carrying some lamb items that they didn't have before, and they have veal in packaged, ground form only, so I thought I'd just check on the off chance that it would be possible to get sweetbreads at some point in the future. I already come to this market once a week, since the selection of restaurants on Buford Highway in the same area is so terrific, and there is literally not one single market that equals BHFM anywhere in the metro area. . . Anyway, sweetbreads have been the one item I have to go to DFM to get, so if I could get them here, it would save me a lot of trouble.

He told me that they get sweetbreads about once every 2 weeks, usually on a Monday or Wednesday, but you can call and ask if they are in stock and they will save them for you. This is great news. I've never cooked beef sweetbreads before, but I really would love to try it out and see how they compare.

Buford Highway just keeps getting better and better. If either my husband or I worked in that area, I'd seriously consider lifting our house up off the foundation and moving it over there. <sigh>
Food is my favorite.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
i have pretty much stopped shopping elsewhere, save for a few Publix Greenwise items (Milk, Canned Veggies and Apple Sauce for my kids).  bhfm stocks enough american staples and cleaning supplies to make trips to kroger/publix unnecessary.  i was stumped today, couldn't find light-bulbs.

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
i have pretty much stopped shopping elsewhere, save for a few Publix Greenwise items (Milk, Canned Veggies and Apple Sauce for my kids).  bhfm stocks enough american staples and cleaning supplies to make trips to kroger/publix unnecessary.  i was stumped today, couldn't find light-bulbs.

Scientist logged on as FG:

One big drawback to BHFM is that "regular" items that most people buy at Publix/Kroger/Ingle's are considerably more expensive at BHFM.  Don't go there expecting to find great deals on potato chips or breakfast cereal.  Go for the ethnic and exotic.  FG goes every week at least as much for the entertainment value as the merchandise.
Food is my favorite.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
i have pretty much stopped shopping elsewhere, save for a few Publix Greenwise items (Milk, Canned Veggies and Apple Sauce for my kids).  bhfm stocks enough american staples and cleaning supplies to make trips to kroger/publix unnecessary.  i was stumped today, couldn't find light-bulbs.

Scientist logged on as FG:

One big drawback to BHFM is that "regular" items that most people buy at Publix/Kroger/Ingle's are considerably more expensive at BHFM.  Don't go there expecting to find great deals on potato chips or breakfast cereal.  Go for the ethnic and exotic.  FG goes every week at least as much for the entertainment value as the merchandise.

i don't buy or eat potato chips, but staples like flour, sugar and dried spices and considerably cheaper than they would be at kroger or publix.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »
The produce and imported/ethnic items seem to be a lot less expensive at BHFM than other places to me.  However, on my last trip I was shocked to see King Arthur all-purpose and bread flour were $6.99 for 5 pounds, IIRC.  The flours are $3.99-ish at Publix.  Needless to say, I didn't buy them...

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »
I've never cooked beef sweetbreads before, but I really would love to try it out and see how they compare.

Of course let us know how it goes.  Sweetbreads in general are quite mild but then again it's usually veal, so who knows. 

Offline Foodgeek

• The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 08:41:03 AM »
I've never cooked beef sweetbreads before, but I really would love to try it out and see how they compare.

Of course let us know how it goes.  Sweetbreads in general are quite mild but then again it's usually veal, so who knows. 

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to get stronger with age. Both the pancreas and the thymus are endocrine glands, so they don't filter any toxins out of the body like the liver or kidneys, which would make them lose quality as the animal gets older. The thymus in cattle does get smaller as they age, so that's the primary reason for harvesting this organ from a calf. The pancreas changes very little so I expect that it will be about as tasty as those from veal.

I usually dredge them and fry them anyway, so I suspect it will work just about as well for me.
Food is my favorite.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 08:45:25 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to get stronger with age. Both the pancreas and the thymus are endocrine glands, so they don't filter any toxins out of the body like the liver or kidneys, which would make them lose quality as the animal gets older. The thymus in cattle does get smaller as they age, so that's the primary reason for harvesting this organ from a calf. The pancreas changes very little so I expect that it will be about as tasty as those from veal.

I usually dredge them and fry them anyway, so I suspect it will work just about as well for me.

Very interesting to know!  Thanks.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
The produce and imported/ethnic items seem to be a lot less expensive at BHFM than other places to me.  However, on my last trip I was shocked to see King Arthur all-purpose and bread flour were $6.99 for 5 pounds, IIRC.  The flours are $3.99-ish at Publix.  Needless to say, I didn't buy them...

guess i'm wrong on flour, but dry spices and items like canned and dry beans, rice..etc.. are definitely cheaper.

Offline totm

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
i have pretty much stopped shopping elsewhere
Funny, but we were having this exact same discussion yesterday afternoon after leaving what was the madness of BHFM.  V said our $27 and change bill would have been double that at K-Roger or Publix.  Granted, our bags were full of mostly produce.  I do wish the meat packaging were in smaller quantities.  The cube steaks we've gotten in the past were some of the most tender gristle free we've ever found.

The place was a zoo yesterday afternoon.  I've never seen so many unruly kids.  And major traffic jams from the time we walked in the door until we got out of the parking lot.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Daniel

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
i've started going either saturday or sunday at 9am.  plus is no crowds, minus is no samples.