Click here for Restaurant.com  -  $25 Restaurant.com Gift Cards for $15.

Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 31126 times)

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
I noticed that the cafeteria had a crepe station, where a sign indicated savory crepes like ham and cheese.  Of steam-table items, nothing looked appealing, though I was intrigued by the "Russian cabbage rolls."  Past the steam-table station are serve-yourself hot and cold packaged items under heat lamps and refrigeration, respectively.  I took a package of ready-to-eat mandu, which are the same as the mandu available in the store itself.  They also had gimbap, bbq eel, sushi and other items that are the same as those available back in the prepared foods section of the store.  I have on occasion bought these things to eat as take-out, but now I suppose I could eat them in the cafeteria area.  Not much of an improvement, if you ask me.

It doesn't seem to be what most of us envisioned.  It would be great if they had a stall where they make, say, tacos to order, or Korean dishes like the stall at H-Mart.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Finally got a bite to eat at the food court.  It wasn't mobbed, but the steam-tray area had a steady flow of customers.  Was kind of cumbersome since I had 4 bags of paid-for food, and I had to sit them on the floor while taking out my wallet to pay for things.

Tried: Turkish lamb stew--this was 'ok'.  Kind of fatty and 'lamby' because they don't trim up the meat as good as I do at home.
Chicken tikka masala - perfectly fine.
garlicky kale - simple, tasty, freshly made.
spicy hot tofu with greenbeans- very good, with a surprising amount of heat.

They weigh it before putting rice in, and then you can advise them on whether you want 2 or 3 scoops or so. Kind of cumbersome to eat here (unless doing so before shopping), but I'd definitely get some takeout.

Offline Elijah Snow

« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
Went by today for the first time since the food court opened. It's not what I would have liked, but there are some good things. The crepe station also serves little pancakes that are cooked on a takoyaki device. My daughter ordered some with butter and sugar. I had a taste. Damn, were those things good. I talked to a guy there that seemed to be in management and expressed my disappointment. Said I would have like a Chinese BBQ place. He said they considered one but were trying to offer things that were unique. I said I didn't know about the unique part but that I would buy char siu every single time I visited BHFM if they had it. We'll see how this all develops.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
I got some takeout again, but was disappointed by 2 things: the selection doesn't seem to change at all, and the green beans in the spicy bean and tofu were not cooked, they were just added to it raw.

They need to step it up.  I don't know why there are 3 or 4 varieties of potatoes.  Also too many fried things.  There were a couple of chicken dishes (chicken paprika and something else) that looked pretty good, but I was chickened out (eating too much chicken lately).

Ended up getting the spicy tofu and kale (although the samosas looked good too).

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »
We were visiting Atlanta this weekend and I met a old friend at BHFM. We did some shopping together, he was cooking dinner for his girl friend and I wanted to stock up on some staples, mainly Gochujang pepper paste. I cooked some Korean fried chicken wings last week and needed it. We had lunch at Gu's, dan dan noodles, dry fried eggplant and a chicken dish he ordered, can't remember exactly. It was all very good.

After checking into our hotel we decided to eat supper at Alon's perimeter location. It had been a long day of driving and we had our dog with us. Great lamb sandwich and a salad with soba noodles. I really miss being able to enjoy Atlanta's food scene and it was great to be back.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
Has anyone tried the Russian caviars in the Eastern European section?  For New Year's Eve we traditionally get a small jar of relatively inexpensive American caviar along the lines of Paddlefish, Bowfin, Transmontanus, etc--usually ordering on-line, but I haven't done anything yet, and it's down to the wire.  I was in BHFM this weekend and saw they had several different types of Russian fishy-eggs, but exactly what kind of fish they are from is a mystery.  I'm game to try some.

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »
Have you tried the (Russian ?) outlet on Covington Hwy about 1/2 mile inside 285 ?
It is hidden/impossible to find.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #247 on: December 30, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
Have you tried the (Russian ?) outlet on Covington Hwy about 1/2 mile inside 285 ?
It is hidden/impossible to find.

Haha.  Nah.  If my objective were simply to buy caviar, I'd probably get some from one of the gourmet-ish shops like Star or Alon's.  I was just curious about BHFM's Russian stuff, since it's relatively inexpensive.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #248 on: December 30, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
I'm always tempted by that as well. Let us know if you try it. By the way, DH is there now and says it is a madhouse.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
I have bought salmon roe, ikura, but not the Russian caviar.  The ikura was good for the price point.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »
I have bought salmon roe, ikura, but not the Russian caviar.  The ikura was good for the price point.

Yep, I've bought the ikura, too.  They have it both in the Eastern European section and in the sushi section.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
I did not end up returning to BHFM on New Year's Eve for caviar to avoid the "madhouse," but today I noticed that all types of caviar (except ikura) were completely sold out.  Those Russians like to party.  They had a live balalaika band today, and people were dancing in the aisle.  Gotta love this store.

Offline nelu

« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »

I got some caviar noticing how affordable it was. The container seemed legit. The caviar was decent, but I think that it was not as good I remembered it. I had it last time about 10 years (same type) but then it was more flavorful. Maybe my taste buds have changed over the years.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:04:59 PM by Mike GadgetGeek Stock »

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
I hit BHFM yesterday on the way back home. Needed to stock up on a bunch of ingredients that are just not available locally . I spent over 70 bucks, that is a lot, but I had bags and bags of stuff. We had Pho for lunch today and I used fresh sprouts from there and lemongrass in the stock. I really miss this place.