Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 33112 times)

Offline Lorenzo

Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
My wife and I noticed the increase in duck options and bought a package of breasts and a package of livers last weekend.  We haven't cooked the breasts yet, but my wife made the livers into an experimental pate.  We marveled at the whole duck--head and all--but we took a pass on that one.  The only thing cooler than that that we saw was a smoked goat head.  Gotta love BHFM.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
If you follow BHFM on facebook they often post new items that are coming in. They recently posted about the duckbreasts, pheasants and squab (all availailable in teh freezer section).
A commenter asked for duck fat, apparently they got it in for him:)

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
Wow, that is great news! And I didn't even think of liking them on FB. Thanks for the info.

Offline totm

« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2012, 07:40:04 AM »
This post could go in about 4 or 5 places (here, festivals, gardening, ingredients, chefs, restaurants ...) so move if appropriate.

I stopped by the Pura Vida station in the Tacos and Tamales tent at the Atlanta Food and Wine Festival (thank you Creative Loafing).  Chef Hector was there plating a poached shrimp on corn masa with a foamy thing and a chile sauce.  I asked him what chiles he used.  I had a little trouble understanding at first but finally understood Rocoto or Rococo.  I wondered if the chiles were from his rooftop garden.  He laughed and admitted that he got them from BHFM.  He said he has tried to grow those chiles but all he got were buds and no fruit.  That particular chile grows high in the mountains of South/Central America.  Then I mentioned that I had ordered Rocoto from New Jersey/Cross Country Nurseries (kudos to Geo) and said he knew of them very well.

After the festival we needed to stop by BHFM for a few things.  They had containers marked "yellow habenero peppers" that I'm guessing were the Rocoto chiles.  The shape was the same as habenero peppers from the Caribbean. Lesson learned is that the labeling at BHFM may not be fully indicative of the product contained within.
 Attachments and other optionsay not be
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2012, 08:50:34 AM »
This post could go in about 4 or 5 places (here, festivals, gardening, ingredients, chefs, restaurants ...) so move if appropriate.

I stopped by the Pura Vida station in the Tacos and Tamales tent at the Atlanta Food and Wine Festival (thank you Creative Loafing).  Chef Hector was there plating a poached shrimp on corn masa with a foamy thing and a chile sauce.  I asked him what chiles he used.  I had a little trouble understanding at first but finally understood Rocoto or Rococo.  I wondered if the chiles were from his rooftop garden.  He laughed and admitted that he got them from BHFM.  He said he has tried to grow those chiles but all he got were buds and no fruit.  That particular chile grows high in the mountains of South/Central America.  Then I mentioned that I had ordered Rocoto from New Jersey/Cross Country Nurseries (kudos to Geo) and said he knew of them very well.

After the festival we needed to stop by BHFM for a few things.  They had containers marked "yellow habenero peppers" that I'm guessing were the Rocoto chiles.  The shape was the same as habenero peppers from the Caribbean. Lesson learned is that the labeling at BHFM may not be fully indicative of the product contained within.
 Attachments and other optionsay not be 

I had success growing those chiles in my raised beds in Norcross, that is a variety of pepper that though similar to Habenero are a different variety altogether.  They are in a group of Pubescens chiles grown in the Eastern (and now other) parts of South America and now in Central America and for a few years in Norcross  ;D.  They just take so dern long to produce peppers here (almost 120 days) that if you want them to produce you should start the seeds indoors about Jan. 1st and then put them out as early as you can. They did take the cooler temps in the spring quite well and did produce an interesting fruit flavored pepper that while very hot really tastes excellent.  They are apart from the Aji that are more well known and available and different too from the Chinesis Habenero/Scotch Bonnet peppers.  My plants overwintered here and were fairly large bushes by the third year, an over aggressive new soaker system I installed killed them in year 4 and I never replanted them. Fantastic peppers, I still have some whole chiles in the freezer along with some Aji's (Amarillo) that I grew during that time. 

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:23 AM »

What a resource this place is.  Much more than YDFM..  I found stuff there both edible and exotic, I always find things I have to take a picture and come home and Google it, and that is good. 

I ALWAYS spend too much money there, but I didn't buy the lamb shabu shabu nor did I buy the medium size  squid bodies.  I did get some curry leaf, I did get a replacement on my GOOD short grain rice (grown in this country), and some short skewers, and some herb replacement to refill my pantry in a way.  They have really good prices on some things and impossible prices on others, you HAVE to be a shopper to get good results there.
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline totm

« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »
Cafeteria is OPEN.  Mexican place that was next to exit just shifted left.  Crepe station was of interest.  Steam table had everything from Turkish to Korean to Southern American.  Various items appeared to be from other vendors in BHFM.

Offline FlyinBrian

« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
I went yesterday with a short list of items, mainly produce/herbs and fish.  Herbs were fresh and cheap.  I found all the produce I wanted except yellow squash.  The fish selection was great and the prices were amazing.  Later I went to Harry's to get yellow squash and discovered that their Snapper was $6/lb more.

-B

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #233 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
Cafeteria is OPEN.  Mexican place that was next to exit just shifted left.  Crepe station was of interest.  Steam table had everything from Turkish to Korean to Southern American.  Various items appeared to be from other vendors in BHFM.

Now THAT is wildly exciting!!! Thanks for sharing. Did you try any of it?

Offline totm

« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »

Now THAT is wildly exciting!!! Thanks for sharing. Did you try any of it?
Sorry Liz but I was hoping it would something to be wildly excited about.  Personally, I was disappointed.  I was expecting more variety and made to order options.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
Hmmm, sorry to hear that.

They have just set the bar so high for themselves that I suppose I assumed it would be good.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #236 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
I think she is just referencing the new cafeteria.  I have walked thru it a couple times now, but am pretty underwhelmed.  I was hoping it was going to be more along the lines of what Super H has.  Individual stalls of different cuisines.

I am planning to get lunch from the steam table this Friday, will report back...

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »
I, too, had high expectations, thinking it was going to be a food court, not a cafeteria.  YDFM has a steam-table cafeteria, and I don't care for it.

Offline waynehoobler

« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
It's not a huge setup at the buhi, but I thought that the steam table had some tasty looking things. I'm not crazy about the configuration: you have to leave your cart outside (I think that you can carry paid-for items inside), but I fear my groceries getting stolen from the area where you're supposed to leave them).

I guess the easiest thing would be to eat first and shop second.  I'm not inherently biased toward the food stalls at H mart b/c our limited experience was that our take-out from them was just so-so (edible and ok, but not really high quality).

One wild idea I had (but I'm sure will never happen) is for the Buhi to take over the shuttered restaurant/club out in the parking lot and turn it into some kind of Buhi FM cafeteria/food stalls/taqueria/sushi house...

Offline totm

« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
They were handing out samples from the "cafeteria" Saturday afternoon.  The one bite I got was cold, dry, minimally spicy fried chicken nugget.   :P  The number of samples for products for sale has diminished considerably.  Especially in the Asian dumpling/noodle area.

Friends wanted to check the place out because they had never been and knew we go often enough.  They were amazed.  Though crawfish boil buddy was expecting more of a "Farmers Market" with stalls staffed by the farmers themselves.