Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 48341 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
I'm surprised tamarillos aren't on the list. They're a bizarre fruit from south america, and they're $15/lb at BHFM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarillo

they're interesting tasting.

Offline totm

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
I'm also surprised morel mushrooms aren't on that list.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »
http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/lifestyle/food-drink/priciest-grocery-store-produce

An article lists the ten most expensive produce items in grocery stores. No surprise that truffles are #1. What's remarkable is that I do believe I've seen every one of these items in BHFM except finger limes, which I must admit I've never heard of before this. They've been available in this country for about a year, and they've become all the rage with some chefs. Anyone know about these, or anyone using them?

BHFM has truffles?  Whoulda thunk.

I've never heard of finger limes.

The tropical fruits in the article bring back fond memories of travels, but I just can't bring myself to pay the high prices these things sell for in the U.S. when they're dirt cheap in the countries that grow them.  Of course, I've noticed that some of these tropical fruits are now U.S.-grown, though still expensive.  Maybe increased demand will bring the price down in a few years.

Offline totm

« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
Interesting to read Hector Santiago's shopping experiences/method.  Apparently one of those markets he goes to on a regular basis is BHFM.  V saw him there 2 Thursday's ago a little before noon with several full carts.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »
I'm liking the Moscow ham with chunks of garlic in it.  The Morkskiy cheese is also nice.  I can't believe how many times I've walked past the Eastern European deli without buying anything.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
I'm liking the Moscow ham with chunks of garlic in it.  The Morkskiy cheese is also nice.  I can't believe how many times I've walked past the Eastern European deli without buying anything. 

I know where you are coming from.  I have strayed away from those spicy sausages and the dried fish.  I need to go see what they have in that counter.

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #216 on: October 19, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »
The "holiday grapes" at BHFM are amazing. They're huge and thin skinned and filled with delicious juice and a seedless pulp....

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »
By far the best tofu I've ever found in a store is the stuff made in house here.  Added bonus that it's only about $0.70 per pound.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #218 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »
By far the best tofu I've ever found in a store is the stuff made in house here.  Added bonus that it's only about $0.70 per pound.
I haven't had any tofu from there.  Have you ever had the tofu from Viet Tofu or VN Tofu?  They also make it in house.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
I haven't had any tofu from there.  Have you ever had the tofu from Viet Tofu or VN Tofu?  They also make it in house.
I haven't.  Is Viet Tofu the place in Orient Center on the other side of the farmer's market from Penang?  Is it good?

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
I haven't.  Is Viet Tofu the place in Orient Center on the other side of the farmer's market from Penang?  Is it good?

Yes it is.  It's a Vietnamese fast food/carry out place.  They have multiple varieties, all freshly made in house.  We love buying the fried lemongrass chili tofu to use in stir fries.  They also do tofu fried spring rolls (50 cents each) which are great.  Actually I think they taste better than the meat ones.  They have a second location off of Jimmy Carter in the same plaza as HK Supermarket.  It's called VN Tofu.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »

Yes it is.  It's a Vietnamese fast food/carry out place.  They have multiple varieties, all freshly made in house.  We love buying the fried lemongrass chili tofu to use in stir fries.  They also do tofu fried spring rolls (50 cents each) which are great.  Actually I think they taste better than the meat ones.  They have a second location off of Jimmy Carter in the same plaza as HK Supermarket.  It's called VN Tofu.
The vegetarian girlfriend will be pleased.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »
BHFM now has duck fat. It's sitting out in quart tubs by the, now empty, live fish tanks.
$6/lb.

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
BHFM now has duck fat. It's sitting out in quart tubs by the, now empty, live fish tanks.
$6/lb.

I noticed that on Saturday when we went! I was pretty surprised because I'd never seen it there before and I was wondering why they would be rendering their own duck fat, since the ducks I've seen there before were frozen whole, but after checking out the freezer case, I noticed that they are now also selling duck feet, duck wings, breasts (2 per pack) and leg quarters. The breasts are considerably larger than the ones on the frozen whole ducks, so they must be getting ducks from a different supplier, breaking them down and rendering the extra fat. Too bad they don't sell duck chicharrones in the display case with all of the pork cracklings!

At any rate, this is a much easier option for someone who would like to make duck confit without doing my whole duck breakdown, since you can simply buy the leg quarters and some extra fat and you're good to go! Also, BHFM is now one of the stores that sells alcohol on Sundays, so if you decide at the last minute that you'd like to make duck for dinner or duck fat fried potatoes, you can pick out a suitable beer or wine to have with it. Pretty sweet!

Now, if only I could drag this place with me to Oregon. . .
Food is my favorite.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »
$6/lb.

Regarless of the price it has to be a better option than what I brought home from a different Farmers Market during my last endeavor to make some good confit.   

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.