Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 49160 times)

Offline totm

Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
I went shopping yesterday and got a trunk full of groceries, mostly produce but also milk, cheese, a couple of pre-made appetizers and my wife's favorite green tea ice cream bars with azuki bean paste inside. No meat or fish but all this added up to $40.77. What an incredible resource BHFM is. I could drop that amount at Publix about half way down one aisle.

As we left the checkout a couple of weeks ago my wife and I said the same thing to each other, realizing that we had a cart loaded to the brim for about a hundred bucks.  We avoid shopping at the Kroglixes as much as possible.  Far wider variety for less money at BHFM.

The prices explode when you buy "Caucasian" items like milk, yogurt and non-hispanic cheese...
There are some non-produce, non-seafood, non-hispanic, non-asian items that are actually a much better price than conventional grocery stores. Canned Sardines are one example, $.99 at BHFM, ~$1.20 at K-Roger/Publix; as well as Winn Schuler's (sp?) cheese.  Granted that's not huge but if you know prices and shop a little even some of the items in the center of the store can be cheaper.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Daniel

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
They also don't sell organic milk, my 1.5 and 3.5 y/o's drink the top shelf stuff.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
Daniel, yeah they do. I've bought it there for my daughter.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
Me too. I think it is Horizon IIRC.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »
I got some other brand I had never heard of.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
That's good to know.  I don't usually go any further down that aisle than the Mexican cheeses except for a quick stop at the eggs.

Mohamed is doing a heck of a job with the butcher counter.  Today there was loose and cased mild and hot italian, ground veal, beef/lamb/chicken kabobs and the ground lamb kabobs.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:48:38 PM by Daniel »

Offline nelu

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »

They sell organic milk, Horizon. But it is 4.99 while at Publix you can often get it for less that 4.00. BHFM also sells grass-fed cow milk which is great (a NJ brand, don't recall which). My daughter can tell the difference in one sip, and despite my pleadings she does not like it. I guess it tastes too much like how milk is supposed to:)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »
i'll have to try the grassfed cow milk. Haven't noticed it there..

Offline totm

« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »
Is it just us, or do others have difficulty getting served at the eastern European deli counter?

Offline morebread

« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
Last time we tried to buy a cake the lady was phenomenally rude, felt just like back in Soviet Russia. A very authentic experience for sure. We just let her eat her cake since thankfully we are not in Soviet Russia.

Offline totm

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »
V asked the woman behind the counter what was in one of the stuffed pastries and the woman just stared at her.  Then she asked if it had cheese in it and the woman "no cheese".  The lamb pie she ended up with had good flavor but a bit of gristle.

Offline nelu

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
I always got good service at that counter. I do not speak russian, and I noticed that they speak russian to the russian customers. In any case, I kind of expected bad service to begin with, but this was not the case and I 'blamed' it on the fact that I speak english. You kind of have to be assertive though, as they are not very inviting by default (which is rather standard in east european commerce).

With regard to the grass-fed milk, it comes in an old-fashioned milk bottle in the regular milk section, so look for that.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
I'm amazed every time i shop here. They have not 1, but 2 local milks. Sparkman and Southern Swiss Dairy, PLUS the grassfed milk. The SSD milk is not homogenized so it has to be shaken before use.
I bought a 1/2 and 1/2 of SSD and it's really tasty because it's not ultrapasturized like every other 1/2 and 1/2..it's just pasturized.
Also bought a grassfed milk. Not THAT different tasting than regular milk, but tasty.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »
I'm amazed every time i shop here.

+1. It is SUCH a great place lately that I am starting to worry superstitiously that something will happen and it will go away! BHFM really spoils you against Kroger or Publix produce. And meat. And seafood. And bread. And tortillas. Etc.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
Love the place, there is nothing even close in the ATL, imo.  Bought and then grilled a hanger from the butchers counter that was fantastic.  Also grilled some of the Mexican Zuchini and a couple Raddichio.