Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 48349 times)

Offline KoPP

• Infinite Member
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
About the license - I was talking to some of the stockers, and one said that they hadn't paid for the license. I tried to press them on it, and the other guy said, "read the sign", grabbed the first guy, and went into the backroom. Guess there's something going on. I heard that there's only one person in DeKalb that processes liquor/beer/wine licenses, and he took a 3-week vacation right before Thanksgiving last year. Dunno...

Offline bigedatl

« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
BHFM posted this on Facebook about the alcohol issue today.
"Addtionally, due to a new Doraville City regulation beer and wine will be purchased at a separate register located next to the beer and wine section apart from your grocery items. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."
and
"All cashiers must have a license to sell alcolhol. Essentially it is a servers permit. It is easier for us to put it all in one place as the permit fees would be very expensive if we were to license every cashier."

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Wow.  That is a real pain in the ass.  Isn't Doraville making enough cash off their speeding tickets? 

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
i did see the beer section open today at BHFM...so if you buy even a single beer you have to go thru a single register...wow
is that the same for publix and kroger in doraville?
that's super stupid

Offline CodePoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »

Here is an article about the changes to the alcohol laws in Doraville.

http://championnewspaper.com/news/articles/763doraville%E2%80%99s-alcohol-law-has-problems-763.html

Offline totm

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
Obviously they were not operational this morning, but there were actually 2 registers in the beer and wine section.  One at the end of the dairy section and one near the cut through from produce to the registers.

Oh, and Doraville's finest was ensuring several people on I-285 were starting out their Sunday morning in a lovely mood.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
I went shopping yesterday and got a trunk full of groceries, mostly produce but also milk, cheese, a couple of pre-made appetizers and my wife's favorite green tea ice cream bars with azuki bean paste inside. No meat or fish but all this added up to $40.77. What an incredible resource BHFM is. I could drop that amount at Publix about half way down one aisle.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2011, 08:57:52 AM »
Andy ,i think the same thing every time i leave BHFM....it's amazing.

Offline totm

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Has anyone else been buying the arugula that still has roots attached?  The past few weeks it has been pretty beat up.  I picked through it last weekend to find a bunch that wasn't too abused.  That bunch wilted in my refrigerator in a couple of days.  We've tried reviving it by cutting the roots off and putting in a glass of water but that's not doing the trick.  The bunch is a little large for consuming day of purchase.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
i bought some, and it actually kept for weeks...i was really surprised. Wrapped it in paper towels and then put in bag.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
I went shopping yesterday and got a trunk full of groceries, mostly produce but also milk, cheese, a couple of pre-made appetizers and my wife's favorite green tea ice cream bars with azuki bean paste inside. No meat or fish but all this added up to $40.77. What an incredible resource BHFM is. I could drop that amount at Publix about half way down one aisle.

As we left the checkout a couple of weeks ago my wife and I said the same thing to each other, realizing that we had a cart loaded to the brim for about a hundred bucks.  We avoid shopping at the Kroglixes as much as possible.  Far wider variety for less money at BHFM.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:22:08 AM by Lorenzo »

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2011, 09:23:25 AM »
Has anyone else been buying the arugula that still has roots attached?  The past few weeks it has been pretty beat up.  I picked through it last weekend to find a bunch that wasn't too abused.  That bunch wilted in my refrigerator in a couple of days.  We've tried reviving it by cutting the roots off and putting in a glass of water but that's not doing the trick.  The bunch is a little large for consuming day of purchase.

i bought some, and it actually kept for weeks...i was really surprised. Wrapped it in paper towels and then put in bag.

I think that's part of question.  How do you store it?  I'm not 100% sure myself but JM's method seems like a good one.  Of course it can be too old and beat up to recover which was probably the case for totm, but if it's in good enough condition and you keep the roots moist with a damp paper towel and cover the whole thing with a bag to avoid drying out in the relatively dry air of the fridge, it could/should store for quite a while (?).  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:27:10 AM by HaagenDazs »

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »

As we left the checkout a couple of weeks ago my wife and I said the same thing to each other, realizing that we had a cart loaded to the brim for about a hundred bucks.  We avoid shopping at the Kroglixes as much as possible.  Far wider variety for less money at BHFM.

The prices explode when you buy "Caucasian" items like milk, yogurt and non-hispanic cheese...

Offline Daniel

« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »

The prices explode when you buy "Caucasian" items like milk, yogurt and non-hispanic cheese...

i still buy all of my "american" staples at Kroger or Publix, though in a pinch it is nice that they have a pretty well stocked "american" aisle.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »

i still buy all of my "american" staples at Kroger or Publix, though in a pinch it is nice that they have a pretty well stocked "american" aisle.

Agree, i don't often like to make 2 trips, so i just buy my milk and american stuff there too normally...