Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 49162 times)

Offline LizR

• Email
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »
My family is away on vacation at the beach this weekend (I had to work today), so in order to comfort myself I thought I'd head over to BHFM and stock up on stuff I like to eat. Bad idea around 4pm on Saturday of a holiday weekend but I managed to make it through using a somewhat surgical-strike approach; meaning no cart and no aimless wandering. I did stop and sample some teriyaki chicken bits and some "mini wontons" filled with spicy garlic chicken. The wontons were so good that I went back and got a package. Maybe I was just hungry, but I am looking forward to cooking some up and trying them again. They are called All Natural Mini Wontons and are made in the US with pretty good sounding ingredients - though who knows what "chicken meat" really means. Maybe it is an unfair bias, but sometimes I wonder about the mystery fillings of dumplings made in China or Korea. Anyone else had these?

http://www.cjomni.com/

Now I just have to figure out what to do with myself alone for three days - it has been a long, long time since that happened!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:35:56 AM by LizR »

Offline totm

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2010, 06:50:12 AM »
My family is away on vacation at the beach this weekend (I had to work today), so in order to comfort myself I thought I'd head over to BHFM and stock up on stuff I like to eat. Bad idea around 4pm on Saturday of a holiday weekend but I managed to make it through using a somewhat surgical-strike approach; meaning no cart and no aimless wandering. I did stop and sample some teriyaki chicken bits and some "mini wontons" filled with spicy garlic chicken. The wontons were so good that I went back and got a package. Maybe I was just hungry, but I am looking forward to cooking some up and trying them again. They are called All Natural Mini Wontons and are made in the US with pretty good sounding ingredients - though who knows what "chicken meat" really means. Maybe it is an unfair bias, but sometimes I wonder about the mystery fillings of dumplings made in China or Korea. Anyone else had these?

http://www.cjomni.com/

Now I just have to figure out what to do with myself alone for three days - it has been a long, long time since that happened!
Had one about the same time as you.  8-)

Others shopping yesterday seemed to also be using the "surgical-strike approach" because I got struck about 5 times.

Saw a big pile of sweet potato leaves at the entrance.  What does one do with those?
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2010, 07:04:08 AM »
Saw a big pile of sweet potato leaves at the entrance.  What does one do with those?

Eat them? :)

You can use them any place you might use other dark leafy greens.

I was at BHFM yesterday and didn't notice them, but perhaps they weren't put out yet. i get there early to avoid those doing 'surgical strikes' with their carts.  :D

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2010, 07:06:18 AM »
Funny. Actually, the leaves that I saw near the front were labeled "pumpkin leaves", maybe there were both? I remember bc I went over and touched them and then thought "what would I do with them?". I suppose sautee them? Dunno.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:08:21 AM by LizR »

Offline totm

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:33 AM »
Yes LizR, they were pumpkin leaves.  They seemed to be too tough for a saute.  Probably have to braise.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Northside Chip

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
Was there myself yesterday and the pumpkin leaves looked good but was not what I was looking for... I have done them up with a peanut sauce in the past or some coconut milk also does nicely.

NC

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »
It was probably me, but the aliens (the extraterrestrial ones) and zombies who mill around the aisles of BHFM without a care or thought that others exist in their world were particularly annoying this morning.  :P

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
Fresh mangosteens @ BHFM today, right at the entrance. $7/lb. I got 4 of them....hope they're ripe!
I haven't been back to this market in a month or 2, and it's more amazing every time i go. It's more beautiful than ever.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
Fresh mangosteens @ BHFM today, right at the entrance. $7/lb. I got 4 of them....hope they're ripe!
I haven't been back to this market in a month or 2, and it's more amazing every time i go. It's more beautiful than ever.

Cool. 

One of the 3 or 4 I got a few months back, one was moldy on the inside.  There was no outward appearance of it being bad, but lesson is, definitely buy a few just in case one isn't good.  Also, is there a good way to open these things?  The skin is pretty hard and woody so a paring knife did the best job at getting into it.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »

. . .
Also, is there a good way to open these things?  The skin is pretty hard and woody so a paring knife did the best job at getting into it.

I've just dug my thumbs into them and popped them open.  With a little practice, red thumbs can be minimized.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
i just pressed them between my palms, and the skin split open...
I haven't tried it on these yet though..

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 08:35:18 PM »

. . .
Also, is there a good way to open these things?  The skin is pretty hard and woody so a paring knife did the best job at getting into it.

I've just dug my thumbs into them and popped them open.  With a little practice, red thumbs can be minimized.

Ha ha--got some here today, and I'd have to be Superman to pry these open with my thumbs.  I've never encountered one with a hard, woody shell.  I indeed had to cut them open with a paring knife.  So are these overripe or yet to ripen?--I've found conflicting information.  The interior was somewhat mushy, difficult to remove neatly in segments, and tasted a little on the old/fermented side, so I am skeptical that they will improve with time.  Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:04:55 PM by Lorenzo »

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »

. . .
Also, is there a good way to open these things?  The skin is pretty hard and woody so a paring knife did the best job at getting into it.

I've just dug my thumbs into them and popped them open.  With a little practice, red thumbs can be minimized.

Ha ha--got some here today, and I'd have to be Superman to pry these open with my thumbs.  I've never encountered one with a hard, woody shell.  I indeed had to cut them open with a paring knife.  So are these overripe or yet to ripen?--I've found conflicting information.  The interior was somewhat mushy, difficult to remove neatly in segments, and tasted a little on the old/fermented side, so I am skeptical that they will improve with time.  Does anyone know?

I tried the push and split method but I ended up pushing and mushing, so I decided the knife was the best trick in an effort to preserve the fruit.  I'm not sure what the hard shell/skin/rind means.  I think part of the reason they are so rare is because they are very perishable, so my guess would be eat them ASAP rather than wait.  Just a guess though.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »

. . .

Ha ha--got some here today, and I'd have to be Superman to pry these open with my thumbs.  I've never encountered one with a hard, woody shell.  I indeed had to cut them open with a paring knife.  So are these overripe or yet to ripen?--I've found conflicting information.  The interior was somewhat mushy, difficult to remove neatly in segments, and tasted a little on the old/fermented side, so I am skeptical that they will improve with time.  Does anyone know?

I tried the push and split method but I ended up pushing and mushing, so I decided the knife was the best trick in an effort to preserve the fruit.  I'm not sure what the hard shell/skin/rind means.  I think part of the reason they are so rare is because they are very perishable, so my guess would be eat them ASAP rather than wait.  Just a guess though.

Uhm...yeah. I did that last night. It exploded all over my shirt. The small pieced i tried were not very good and had a nasty texture.
Tonight i'll knife them.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2010, 08:28:41 PM »
Well, my $5 single mangosteen was ok.
Out of 4, 1 was edible and had an ok texture. 2 were rotten or i don't know. The other was ultra mushy and gross...
Won't re-purchase.