Author Topic: Buford Highway Farmers Market  (Read 48883 times)

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
Re: Buford Highway Farmers Market
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »
Yep, man doo dumplings over by the restrooms. Always appetizing.

HA!  Couldn't resist...  ;D

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
I made the rounds this morning, stopping in at BHFM. On a whim, I also stopped in at Super-H. While BHFM was already fairly busy by 9:30, Super-H was not. I do like BHFM much better, but was surprised that Super-H was that slow.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
Made a Sunday morning run with no particular shopping list in mind, just to pick up whatever caught our fancy.

Among our cartful of finds were grouper cheeks, which I sauteed last night with white wine, butter and garlic; a really dense and totally delicious loaf of Russian bread made with rye, molasses, mashed potatoes, caraway and other stuff I can't recall; and capelin, a small skinny "trash" fish that's a smelt relative. I treated them like fresh sardines and pan fried them in a little olive oil. They were good but I'm not in a rush to repeat the experience.

Also picked up sour and half sour pickles, which really do rock. And fresh from the bakery flatbread, which we paired with some Romanian feta, Amish farmer cheese and Italian roasted peppers.

No other place I've been can compare.

Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline biskuit

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
It is just outside the perimeter on BuHi, on your left heading North. The one inside the perimeter used to be called that or something very similar and I think now is called International Farmers Market maybe? No comparison. Head to BHFM. It is the best in town, better than Super H, better than YDFM.

Offline geonuc

• Email
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 03:05:30 AM »
Also picked up sour and half sour pickles, which really do rock.

I bought a tub of the sour pickles - they're pretty good and not what I expected.

Offline Minerva

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 08:01:33 AM »
Also picked up sour and half sour pickles, which really do rock.

I bought a tub of the sour pickles - they're pretty good and not what I expected.

To me they're just good old fashioned deli pickles, the Real Thing, which have been lacking in our visits to area delis.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
Made the trek today and ended up getting a few of things that I haven't seen there before - namely mango nectarines, grouper cheeks, and a raw lamb kabob. Looking forward to trying them! Any suggestions for the cheeks? I am leaning toward dusting them with salt, pepper and flour and just sauteeing them in butter with a squeeze of lemon at the end.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
Made the trek today and ended up getting a few of things that I haven't seen there before - namely mango nectarines, grouper cheeks, and a raw lamb kabob. Looking forward to trying them! Any suggestions for the cheeks? I am leaning toward dusting them with salt, pepper and flour and just sauteeing them in butter with a squeeze of lemon at the end.

If the weather holds out in your area, grilling the cheeks is a good option. 

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
Hmmm...would you marinate them first?

Offline Minerva

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 04:08:47 PM »

Among our cartful of finds were grouper cheeks, which I sauteed last night with white wine, butter and garlic;

They were very good but I probably should have dusted them first.

Offline Mike GadgetGeek Stock

• Administrator
  • Learn something from everyone.
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »

I was at DFM hoping I would see you..    I thought Thursday was your market day ?

I got neat things, but they seem to be geared toward a winter meal rather than this hot Monday..   The house smells good though cooking/browning the big beef chunks..

Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.

When facts change, I change my mind.  What do you do?

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

Among our cartful of finds were grouper cheeks, which I sauteed last night with white wine, butter and garlic;

They were very good but I probably should have dusted them first.

Forgot about that, thanks!

Offline LizR

• Email
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »

I was at DFM hoping I would see you..    I thought Thursday was your market day ?

Nope, I'm off on Mondays so we usually go grocery shopping then. Sorry we headed in the other direction today but glad to visit BHFM!

Offline Beerbitch

• Email
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »

Monday is my fake day off.....We could share a trip to the State Farmers Market and Super H Riverdale.....

Nope, I'm off on Mondays so we usually go grocery shopping then. Sorry we headed in the other direction today but glad to visit BHFM!

Offline totm

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »
Any suggestions for the cheeks? I am leaning toward dusting them with salt, pepper and flour and just sauteeing them in butter with a squeeze of lemon at the end.
Grilled grouper cheek tacos w/cilantro, onion, and habenero salsa from BHFM.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon