Author Topic: Copper River Salmon  (Read 11383 times)

Offline totm

Re: Copper River Salmon
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:54 AM »
Costco on Barrett Parkway now charging $10.99/lb, but it's still a bargain and very, very good. I guess the $2 price hike might have to do with the season winding down?
I saw that Monday at Perimeter.  I dug through all of the packages and couldn't find one less than 1.5 lbs.  I don't want to (re-)freeze it and that much fish is just way too much for 2 people.  And then last night I regretted not springing for the $11/lb when K-Roger didn't have any wild salmon.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Minerva

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »
I dug through all of the packages and couldn't find one less than 1.5 lbs.  I don't want to (re-)freeze it and that much fish is just way too much for 2 people.
[/quote]

Ha! There are only two of us,also, but we get quite greedy during sockeye season. That's the package size we bought. Leftover fish (and there wasn't much!) will be salmon BLTs tonight.
Fish sauce...for when you want that flavor of cat food and athletic sock...in a good way. - Alton Brown

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
I saw that Monday at Perimeter.  I dug through all of the packages and couldn't find one less than 1.5 lbs.  I don't want to (re-)freeze it and that much fish is just way too much for 2 people.  And then last night I regretted not springing for the $11/lb when K-Roger didn't have any wild salmon.

There's always room for leftovers... no salmon on a salad for lunch?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
my daughter liked the leftovers in her scrambled eggs...i ate them the next day as well...leftovers aren't so bad

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »
Just two here and have bought 5 so far,
eat some and freeze rest on cedar planks to grill when no longer available.

Offline Girly

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »
Grabbed a filet at Costco. Didn't even think about getting more to freeze until I read this thread :( What's the best way to freeze it? My vacuum sealer is somewhere in storage so if that's the best option, I'll just wait 'till next year. Looking forward to eating this! $10.99/lb BTW. Bought the smallest at just under 1.5

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »
vac pack and freeze is the best way

Offline tansu

• Japanese interiors
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »
Not Copper river but sockeye at costco.

Offline RootsInAlpharetta

• Roots in Alpharetta
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
I bought some Copper River king salmon a few weeks ago from Kathleen's Catch in Johns Creek. Price was a tad cheaper than Whole Food's non-sale price.

Offline totm

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
Not Copper river but sockeye at costco.
What was the price/lb?
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
i just got some copper river yesterday...lots of it at the kennesaw costco. $10.99/lb

wouldnt' mind stocking up on plain old wild sockeye and doing a head to head for lox tasting this winter

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2012, 11:40:09 PM »
Forgive the dumb question, but I've never had it before... does it just taste like regular salmon, only "better"?  Sort of like sirloin is to rib eye as regular salmon is to copper river salmon?  We'll make Ca Kho out of salmon from time to time.  My wife actually likes it better with salmon than any other fish.  Would it be a waste to splurge on copper river salmon only to braise it in such a strong sauce?

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2012, 06:27:17 AM »
I think it would work better since the flavor is stronger it would come through more.
to me it tastes more salmony, but not fishier...could i tell regular wild sockeye vs. copper river in a blind taste? I don't know...that's why i'd like to turn both into lox and compare side by side.

Offline Larkemon

• Email
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »
Harry's has sockeye on sale tomorrow (friday dec7) for 7.99/lb.  Gonna pick some up to make some ca kho this weekend. Hoping its a lot better than the crappy frozen tasteless filets I picked up last week.   Maybe even try my hand at smoking some.