Author Topic: The Porter  (Read 3162 times)

Offline FlyinBrian

The Porter
« on: November 21, 2009, 02:13:43 PM »
The Porter is is my new favorite pub in L5P.  (Don't worry EAYC, I still love you.)  I had the Berkshire pork chop and collards and washed it down with a Bell's Two Hearted Ale before catching Lyle Lovett at the Tabernacle earlier this week.

-B
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:30:23 PM by FlyinBrian »

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
Re: The Porter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:55 AM »
I was in tonight and had the awesome Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper (review is in the thread "Christmas ales), but also struck up a conversation with Molly, the owner.  I was trying to leave, but after we were talking, she insisted we tried the recently tapped Terrapin Dark Side, an imperial stout brewed with Belgian yeasts (she rarely drinks the beers once they're tapped...usually just bottles she samples in advance).  I was too busy talking to pay a lot of attention to it, but it seemed to be an unbelievably tasty beer for the $3.75 asking price.  I love the assertiveness of a Belgian Stout, and this displayed that character.  I'll have to go back to write a proper review.

As of The Porter Press email sent this week they were planning on having Allagash take over their taps on New Years Day.  This was terrible news for me, since I'll be out of town, but her and Allagash decided it would be better to start the takeover on the 8th instead because of people done with partying or out of town on the 1st.  Great news for me.  I'm usually playing with a salsa band Friday nights, but I think I may be taking off on the 8th (or playing with a drink or two under my belt). 

The Porter used to be pretty good about keeping an updated draft list online, but this last few times I've gone the list there has been much more interesting than the list online even if they claim that it's been updated that day.  Lots of good stuff there now.

geonuc

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:39:24 AM »
Brisket tacos at the Porter last night. They included avocado and radish, which I found unusual but tasty. Bell's Brown Ale on tap hit the spot, as well. Relatively low alcohol content.

Offline totm

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
What an impressive collection of glassware!  Got to give the bartenders props pulling those beers in the appropriate vessel.  Nice of the bartender to comp my partial pint of Founders Red Rye when the keg blew.

Can't quite give the kitchen/service the same props.  Ordered a special of Berkshire (I think) pork terrine with Porter salad and poached egg.  The terrine was akin to very flavorful breakfast sausage patties just a little underdone in the middle.  The real problem was the poached egg on top.  I tried not to channel Colichio and Padma but the white was still translucent.  When I brought it too the attention of the other bartender he consulted management.  I was then asked if everything else was fine and just wanted the egg cooked longer as if they were somehow going to put a poached egg into the poaching liquid again.  Then he came back again to ask if I wanted it poached or fried.  Strange.  Ultimately they poached another egg, added new salad greens, and put the sausage that we'd already taken bites out of back on the board.

The chorizo pizza was good for creative bar food but I wouldn't order it again.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
That's too bad.  I've read reviews on yelp that talk about inconsistent food, but I've never had a problem.  I'll probably show up tonight for the unveiling of Duvel Green.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:54 AM »
After a great  night at The Porter to celebrate a friend's birthday with a group of 12, my wife and I lamented that we don't patronize this place nearly enough, considering how much their food and beer is right up our alley.

On the beer side, my wife the Belgian noted that The Porter has a wider selection of Belgian beers than the vast majority of bars in Belgium. (Maybe Brickstore deserves this note, too, but this post is about The Porter.)  I mean, in Brussels, for example, only Delirium Cafe and Bier Circus and maybe one or two others offer that kind of selection.  Similar in Bruges, Ostende, Antwerp, etc.--only maybe one or two bars in the major cities are real "beer bars" that offer more than the typical 4-6 beers on draft plus a limited selection of bottles (maybe 10-20).  Belgian brewers seem to be increasingly focusing on exporting over covering all of Belgium; rather, they sell in their local region and export the rest.  We found beers that are hard enough to find in Belgium!  On that note, we started with a De Struise Pannepot (a "pannepot" is a fishing boat, my wife says), which was, amazingly, on draft.  Yeah, it was $9 for an 8 oz. draft, but to find this quadrupel on draft anywhere is remarkable.

I noticed on the chalkboard that their next "beer class" focuses on the beers of the Cantillon Brewery and also notice that there seemed to be more varieties of Cantillon beer--which I really like--on The Porter's list than I recall seeing in any one place in Belgium, outside the brewery itself and specialty beer stores.  I hope they manage to muster up some sour beer lovers for the class.  Cantillon was the first lambic I ever tasted, maybe 20 years ago, and it took me a long time to come to really love these beers.

For food, I had the "Fiduea" pasta special, which I suppose was a take on the paella-like Valencian dish made with fideo noodles.  Not a lot of seafood, and it was on the soupy side, but I have to admit that the sauce was delicious, and I soaked up every last bit with the grilled bread that was provided.  For the price point, I enjoyed it.  A lot of other people enjoyed the Korean fried chicken sandwich special (a nod to the "spicy chicken sandwich"?).  Wife did not like the cassoulet, which was listed under starters but she ordered for herself.

Offline jpellett251

• Atlanta Beer
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »
I'm still thinking about some asparagus I got a few days ago with poached egg, micro greens, hollandaise, and bacon.  Easily the best egg I've ever had.