Author Topic: Costco  (Read 30531 times)

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
Re: Costco
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
The bag of avocados i got from costco had not a single good one. I would have returned it if i had kept the packaging..

Offline totm

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »
Cut flower bunches are a good deal and decent quality if you know what to look for.  The liquor store next to the Perimeter location has better prices on some items than some of the larger liquor stores in town.
"It's your last day on earth, what is your final bite to eat?" Eric Ripert

"A good potato with a slab of butter.  I'm a happy man." Joel Robuchon

Offline Barnum

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 05:10:04 AM »
And I enjoy the dry roasted California almonds seasoned w/ sea salt.  There is always one of these 2.5 lb containers at work for my "healthy" snack.  Think they run 9-10 dollars?  I really like that they are incredibly lightly salted/seasoned.

Offline RdBchAndy

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
Costco's organic peanut butter (Kirkland Brand) is absolutely the best peanut butter I have ever had, by a longshot.

If you're wondering if a Costco membership pays for itself, give it a try. Costco guarantees everything including their memberships.  If it's not working out, you can get a full refund on the membership fee at anytime during the year.   

Offline MoT

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »
I have that PB also. But don't store it upside down unless you put it in a baggie or something. The oil leaks out. Also found a Tellicherry peppercorn-filled throwaway grinder. Works pretty well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:31:49 AM by MoT »

Offline RdBchAndy

• Email
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
The bag of avocados i got from costco had not a single good one. I would have returned it if i had kept the packaging..

They will take absolutely anything back for absolutely any reason (with a few restrictions on electronics).  Packaging or not, they will take them back.  No receipt necessary as they have your shopping history in the computer. 

Offline RdBchAndy

• Email
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
I have that PB also. But don't store it upside down unless you put it in a baggie or something. The oil leaks out. Also found a Tellicherry peppercorn-filled throwaway grinder. Works pretty well.
The trick to the oil separated peanut butters is to to stir them very well (I use one beater on a hand blender), then refrigerate.   Refrigerating them will stabilize the oils, and it will have the texture of regular peanut butter with no more oil separation.  And it's so much better than the ones with the stabilizing chemicals. 

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
I have that PB also. But don't store it upside down unless you put it in a baggie or something. The oil leaks out.

Is there a particular reason why someone would need to store it upside down?
Food is my favorite.

Offline MoT

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 11:19:11 AM »
I have that PB also. But don't store it upside down unless you put it in a baggie or something. The oil leaks out.

Is there a particular reason why someone would need to store it upside down?

So you don't have to stir. Flipping the jar makes the oil distribute slowly.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »

They will take absolutely anything back for absolutely any reason (with a few restrictions on electronics).  Packaging or not, they will take them back.  No receipt necessary as they have your shopping history in the computer. 

True..i guess i should have brought 10 halves of avocados back:) oh well...I love costco still!

Offline MoT

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »
Tried the artichokes again. This time, tried to figure out where in the box I would probably lift out a 4-pack of non-bruised ones! It worked! Boy were people buying tons of shrimp. Not even sure where they came from...meaning the shrimp.

Got that big bowl of fresh-sliced fruit from the fridge. Cheat food I know, but we ate most of it.

That pulled pork...ehhh. Don't think I have found any of their pre-cooked packaged meats to be that great.

Need to check on their tire prices next.   :P

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
Tire prices are excellent.

Giant garlic stuffed green olives from Napa Valley Olive company (or something like that) are really good.  They have an asterisk by them now, so that means they are going away soon.   :(

Offline AndyBoy

• Email
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »
I did a search and comments came up about Costco but it didn't have its own thread that I saw. We joined today after being members of Sam's Club for several years. We mainly walked the aisles today and only bought a few items but my first impression is it is way better than Sam's. Many of the same items but some very different and better looking things IMO, such as buffalo mozz, better selection of wines and they have a bakery and many of the breads were still warm. We are planning on cleaning up our freezer and pantry tomorrow so we can stock up.

Offline Barnum

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »
We appreciate the meat!  Look for blue styrofoam, which is the prime meat at our costco.  The New Zealand Lamb is also usually a winner.  If you like to do ribs, it's nice that they are usually without the membrane.

Lots of discussion here:

http://285foodies.com/forum/index.php?topic=930.0

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
Found a pretty tasty cheap cheese. It's an Israeli sheeps milk. It's medium soft, a tiny bit sheepy, and quite tasty. Give it a try!