Author Topic: Costco  (Read 33106 times)

Offline MoT

Costco
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:42:50 PM »
(I searched Costco and nuts, so decided to start a new thread, please move if needed)

Bought some Kirkland Marcona Almonds today....grown in Spain, seasoned and roasted in Sea Salt. Pretty addictive!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:44:23 PM by MoT »

Offline Foodgeek

• Half of what I say is meaningless.
    • The Food Tutor
    • Email
Re: Costco
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
So, how much were they? Is it worth the Costco membership to get a good deal on them?
Food is my favorite.

Offline MoT

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
So, how much were they? Is it worth the Costco membership to get a good deal on them?

Oh FRET. I just returned home and fluffy-white dog opened the lid and both dogs seemed to enjoy a few. I guess I better google if they are poisonous to dogs. They didn't eat the whole thing; so don't know if that's a good thing or bad.

I believe they were 7.00 for 16oz wt can. (need to find receipt)

I was wondering what else to do with them, cooking-wise. Have another unopened can. Will report back after I figure the dog thing out.  :-X

Ugh. Looks like they are pretty fatty for dogs and can hurt pancreas. Seem okay so far though. Wonder what made them stop eating them?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:31:59 PM by MoT »

Offline MoT

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
Dogs seem okay.
Time will tell.

I think Costco is worth it if you cook at home...maybe not with the 2 of you. I always have someone to hand off half of what I buy to. Also depends on your freezer space for possible bulk purchase, meat in particular. But you are pretty adventurous eaters so it may be plain offerings for you.

You could probably get a day pass to try it. Gas was 2.33 today so that can make it worth it for just that. It was 2.40ish over here in Smyrna...usually it doesn't vary that much. I don't use much gas so it's not much of an issue.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:59:50 PM by MoT »

Offline bettylouski

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »
Those Marcona almonds are one of my faves.

Vintage dated Tuscan evoo is always a great Costco product.  They received the 2009 vintage recently and it'll probably be gone in another month or so.

Most recent find is a case of Mexican cokes at per unit cost of $.79, significantly less than the Mexi groceries near me. 

Great price on real vanilla, about $6.99 for 16 oz, I believe.

Meats and fish are good quality, and good price, if limited selection at times.  They're one of the few places that carry beef tri-tip with any regularity. 

Plastic tubs of organic spring mix and organic baby spinach for $3.99/lb. Always 4 lbs of bananas for $1.39.

Blue Mountain blend coffee beans $9.99/2 lbs.  There are few coffees as good as this for more than twice the price.  Recently they featured 100% kona beans for ~$22/LB.

I find it well worth the membership, even for a two person household.  (as MOT says, if nothing but for the gasoline, but the other stuff is pretty great).  If you buy the Executive Membership for $100/yr you get 2% rebate on all purchases.  I just received a check for $160 for last year.  Oh, and a free Amex card with another 2% rebate.  They are basically paying you to shop there, as long as you are a regular. 

Offline Barnum

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:04 AM »
And even though it's in a different thread, I'll repeat our satisfaction with the small selection of prime steaks (typically strips, t-bones, or ribeyes) usually for 9.99 a pound.  Also really enjoy the dependably good New Zealand Lamb Chops.

Offline MoT

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
I have gotten the EVOO, prime steaks (they freeze well), lamb etc. Got some artichokes last week too. btw, the almonds were 7.99 plus tax...dogs are still alive.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
i have a free costco membership, but the saving alone on diapers and baby wipes would pay for a full-priced membership...

on the food front, i buy the prime steaks, and have purchased some darn good lobster tails.  i also prefer the kirkland brand solid tuna in water over most grocery store brands (and eat tuna salad for lunch probably 2 times a week), so the savings is just a bonus.  their produce is great for when you are cooking for bigger groups, 3lb bag of spinach was great for x-mas dinner creamed spinach.

Offline HaagenDazs

• Squirrels & Beer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »
I wish they had a Costco closer to the Roswell area.  I hate driving up to the Alpharetta one.  It's not forever out of the way but enough so that I've never purchased a membership.

Offline MoT

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 11:11:17 AM »
The Cumberland one took a long time to get a location and build out. Seemed like forever. It's always fairly crowded.

I did pick up the Kirkland tuna last week. Spouse made some salad with it already. Also like the 8-packs of chicken breasts individually wrapped, the new blue crab brand....the organic peanut butter leaked into my pantry....no more buying that. Yuck.

Also, for a treat for sick kid, got the sorbets that are each in their natural serving cup. Like the pineapple is literally in a pineapple cup. Reportedly very good. For some odd reason liking the frozen broccoli too, sometimes it's the stalk, last week was florets, they seem to always run out of these.

They were expo-ing blue crab dip...I thought, no one can make a better crab dip than I but will give it a try. Walked over to read the ingredients and sushimi was #2, making it kind of fishy for expensive blue crab.

Last week a lot of people buying coffee, wine...I bought a couple of cheat dishes, the Osso Bucco, and some pulled pork...will report when I heat and eat.

Daughter was also able to get a car loan through them....A- credit rating...but computers don't like combo of Psych degree and waiting tables. : /

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »
Costco sounds so great, I wish there were one close to me.  I heard there might be one going into a space at North DeKalb Mall, but I haven't heard an update recently.  I also have noticed that the old Home Depot space on Sidney Marcus is being built out.  I thought that would be a great location for a warehouse store (and I had heard at one time Sam's club was looking to go there or in the lot next to it), but what is being built there now doesn't look like a big enough space.

Offline MoButter

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
Costco sounds so great, I wish there were one close to me.  I heard there might be one going into a space at North DeKalb Mall, but I haven't heard an update recently.  I also have noticed that the old Home Depot space on Sidney Marcus is being built out.  I thought that would be a great location for a warehouse store (and I had heard at one time Sam's club was looking to go there or in the lot next to it), but what is being built there now doesn't look like a big enough space.

In town really needs a Costco. Sorry to say that the old Home Depot on Sidney Marcus is going to be a huge furniture store called The Dump.  ???  There should be a Costco at the old Sam's Club (most recently a golf store) space on Garson.

Offline Melomom

• About Face
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
Yes, I've thought about that space on Garson, it has lots of parking and is convenient for me (which is most important!).  There has been a lot of some kind of sewer or utility construction going on there, I wondered if that was a contributing factor to the golf store's demise.  That might need to be cleared up before anyone is interested.

Offline Jmolinari

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
i have a free costco membership, but the saving alone on diapers and baby wipes would pay for a full-priced membership...

on the food front, i buy the prime steaks, and have purchased some darn good lobster tails.  i also prefer the kirkland brand solid tuna in water over most grocery store brands (and eat tuna salad for lunch probably 2 times a week), so the savings is just a bonus.  their produce is great for when you are cooking for bigger groups, 3lb bag of spinach was great for x-mas dinner creamed spinach.

Agree on the wipes, but look at the price per diaper..they're actually more expensive at Costco!

Offline MoT

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
Glad we cooked an extra artichoke, one was very good, the other brown. Have the same problem with avocados there too. Osso Bucco pretty good for a quick work night meal.